I have to start somewhere.....

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Luckykorn
STARTING OUT

I have to start somewhere.....

Post by Luckykorn »

Hello All, I'm 37 y/o . I'm pushing 300 lbs. I'm 6'5". I'm a big guy. I really feel the need to start exercising.I don't need or want to be ripped, I just want to do this for health benefits. problem is, I don't know where to start. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: I have to start somewhere.....

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Lucky, good to speak to you.

Do you have access to a gym or are you trying to train at home and if so would you be willing to purchase any equipment?

What times do you eat at and what foods do you eat at those times?
Luckykorn
STARTING OUT

Post by Luckykorn »

I could join a gym. One of biggest issues is time with 3 young kids. I could get an elliptical for free as far as equipment goes.

I eat breakfast around 7-8:30 am, lunch 11:30-1, dinner 7-8pm. Breakfast is usually 2 fresh eggs in a wrap or sandwich and coffee. Lunch is often times leftovers or a lunch meat sandwich or a hoagie if I'm out working. Dinner is the most varied, pasta, meat with starch and veg, sometimes soup. I try to each fresh foods, I don't eat canned foods too often.
BarneyBunch
STARTING OUT

Post by BarneyBunch »

If time is an issue, then I'd definitely recommend getting some gym equipment so you can do some workouts at home (especially if you can get an elliptical for free)

Working out will help a little, but if you are looking to lose the weight then you need to make some changes in your diet. It may not even be changing out what foods you eat, but rather how much you are eating.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

There are many things you can use to base snacks and meals on such as microwave, soup, baked beans and rice dishes, bread, sandwiches, ham, beef, turkey, pork and chicken from a packet, boiled eggs, nuts, peanuts, low fat cheese, low sugar yoghurts, vegetables including pineapple, celery sticks and raw carrot, fruits including tomato and cucumber flax seeds and oat granolas.

As for the elliptical that would be a good bet, but you needn't go overboard using one. Minimum I suggest using it for is 30 minutes 3x a week on alternate days, the most is 20-30 minutes 5 days a week, but if you go for the latter don't use it for 5 continuous days, do it something like this.

Three days use, one days rest, two days use, one days rest.
Luckykorn
STARTING OUT

Post by Luckykorn »

biggest issue in the past has been persistence. I start exercising for a bit, feel great and stop. I start eatin better for a bit, feel great and stop.

I had met with a nutritionist several years ago and changes ratios of what I was eating and lost 45 lbs.. I gained it all back plus some. The feeling of that is very defeating. Any ideas on how to stick with it?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Maybe you could try self help tapes, or try creating easy to remember easy to read mantras.

So you print a list of easy to remember motivational phrases in big colourful lettering such as

I AM WORTH IT

I CAN DO THIS

I DESERVE THIS

I AM GOOD ENOUGH

I CAN SUCCEED

Alternatively, choose some others you might want to use instead and then print a few off and put them around your property, like a bedside table, a fridge door, a cupboard door etc, so when you see them it is a constant reminder to you to stick with things.

You might find working out with music helps, or friends / relatives / work colleagues, or perhaps join a running club, so there are people who can hold you accountable one or more times a week.
rvn2590@yahoo.com
STARTING OUT

Post by rvn2590@yahoo.com »

A good place to start is simply walk. Walking is a low impact exercise, doesn't require special equipment other than a good pair of shoes, doesn't require a gym membership etc. After walking for a while your weight will be dropping and you will develop a basic minimum level of fitness that will allow you to progress by developing a more varied fitness program.