Need a little help

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

waynesmith
STARTING OUT

Need a little help

Post by waynesmith »

Hi Everyone,

name is Wayne. I'm 35 years old and have decided for the first time to start working out. I'm not severely overweight but I'm kind of flabby in the gut and arms. I'm just wondering what would be good to flatten and tighten gut and arms. Maybe even a total body workout. I'm a complete beginner to this and up until now have only done cardio at the gym. This is mostly due to the fact I have no clue what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
BarneyBunch
STARTING OUT

Re: Need a little help

Post by BarneyBunch »

Hey Wayne! Great job on making the decision to start working out! Working out is a great way to stay in shape and while it does help you lose weight, the majority of weight loss is going to come from a proper diet. I know of a lot of beginners who start working out, only to start gaining weight by eating more than ever before. I would recommend researching a little bit about how many calories and energy your body needs each day (called your TDEE). When you know how much energy your body needs, plan out your diet and exercises so that you fit below the energy levels necessary to stay the same weight. This will result in your body needing to use the fat stored in your body as an energy source.

As far as certain exercises you should do, running is a pretty standard go-to for trying to achieve overall fitness and weight loss goals. Mainly because you don't necessarily need to pay for a gym membership in order to start running. If you are trying to strengthen a certain muscle, like increase the muscle sizes in your arms, then start doing workouts that cater to that particular muscle group.
lberg
STARTING OUT

Post by lberg »

beast feast and fast
KirkPatrick845
STARTING OUT

Post by KirkPatrick845 »

body weight exercises are the easiest and help you get in the mode. Push ups, crunches, and body squats. Do as many as you can at first and increase as necessary. I started out with 3 sets of 5 reps for each and now i'm up to 4 sets of 50 a day in a little over 2 months.
garygoberjr
STARTING OUT

Post by garygoberjr »

As far as I can tell a lot of newer studies are showing that less cardio is more beneficial for your overall health. I think it has something to do with your body breaking down your muscle for fuel instead of the fat. But truthfully this info can literally change overnight. The article I found is here but take it with a grain of salt because many other fitness blogs are saying something completely different and it seems like they all contradict each other.
https://weightlossstruggle.wixsite.com/ ... illing-you
Hary BE
STARTING OUT

Post by Hary BE »

:clap: