Good workout except for 1 thing, leg soreness

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Caters
STARTING OUT

Good workout except for 1 thing, leg soreness

Post by Caters »

So I have thought of a workout that targets main muscle groups and helps burn fat. Here it is:

10 sit ups
10 abdominal stretches(back exercise)
10 push ups
20 bicep curls with 1 lb weights( arms can tolerate a lot before they get sore, In fact, I am thinking of possibly amping this up before the others, As for the 1 lb weights, I just use cans that have about 1 lb of food in them)
40 gluteal squeezes( glutei are another high tolerance muscle group)
10 lunges
10 minute walk both as a cooldown from exercising muscles and as low intensity cardio

These lunges are what I am most concerned about. shoulders get secondary exercise from all these exercises, particularly ones that involve arms.

You see, even with like 3 days a week, here is what happens as I continue with 10 lunges per workout:

After First day: Legs are a little sore, I don't exercise, it hurts to go up and down the stairs
After Second day: Legs are fine but I still don't exercise
After Third day: legs are a little sore
After first day of second week: legs are seriously sore, I hope I didn't pull a muscle because it hurts to walk, even to 2 places on the same level

That is what made me stop the workout, when legs got seriously sore. Is there some other exercise I could do that isn't as strenuous and specifically targets leg muscles besides walking? Maybe I should do that to get legs adapted to more use before I start doing the lunges.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Good workout except for 1 thing, leg soreness

Post by Boss Man »

The problem with lunges on their own is that they only target the hamstrings really with very little quad activation, if you included some squats as well to compliment the lunges that might make a difference.
Caters
STARTING OUT

Re: Good workout except for 1 thing, leg soreness

Post by Caters »

So that's why legs have gotten sore without any injury from the lunges, the first one was DOMS but the others were a muscle imbalance. So maybe if I do 5 squats and 5 lunges, legs will not be sore except maybe once during the week and I can gradually increase the amount of both just as I would for any of other muscle groups.