Weight training program after a long break

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

numberonehatter
STARTING OUT

Weight training program after a long break

Post by numberonehatter »

Hi

I've just joined the site and looking to focus back on weight training after a number of years off. I am a 36 year old .

Goals are to improve strength and muscle definition as well as being generally more healthy - less body fat, better diet and improved cardiovascular ability. I'm currently well out of shape, carrying way to much body fat, poor cardio ability but with muscle memory and a bit of motivation I should get back to where I want to be. Finding time is difficult due to work / family commitments but can get to the gym a minium of three times a week.

The gym I've joined is mainly weights focused but has a couple of bikes / rowers

Th split I was going for as a starting point was something like this

* all weights 4 sets, 6-10 reps increasing weight through the sets to failure

Monday - Chest and Triceps
Flat bench / incline bench / flys / dips / cable pull downs / skull crushers / closed grip bench press - 10 mins cardio Bike

Wednesay - Back Biceps & abs
Lat Pull / Seated Rows / Bent over rows / shrugs / Preacher Curls / Hammer Curls / resistance cruches / plank

Friday or Saturday morning - Legs and Shoulders
Squats / Deadlifts / Leg Press / Calf raises / Seated overhead press / side dumbell raises

Whats anyones thoughts on the above, I know there isnt much cardio in there and I have an office job where I generally sit for 9-10 hours a day, but I'm hoping with a good diet and through building muscle and weight training it will help me to shed the fat and give me the engery to focus on lifting?

plan is to do stick with this for a few months while monitoring progress and then tweak it as I feel 8 weeks is probably long enough to see how effective it is? Keen to hear any opions or advice that can support goals?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Weight training program after a long break

Post by Boss Man »

The muscle combinations look sound enough, but what kind of reps and sets are you typically doing on exercises, because you don't want to over do it on any of the muscle groups by hitting too much volume in a session.
numberonehatter
STARTING OUT

Post by numberonehatter »

Hi

I was aiming for 3 sets for each exercise...something like the below
Set 1 - 10-12 reps lightish weight,
Set 2 - 75 % effort 6-8 reps
Set 3 - aiming for 6 reps to failure

Possibly adding in drop sets at the end on isolation excerises?

How does that sound
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I don't think you'd need the drop sets, as long as the 3 sets got progressively heavier in line with the lower rep range.
tylerr
STARTING OUT

Post by tylerr »

If it was me and I was just starting out I focus on nothing but cardio. 50 min each day. Do that until you get that unwanted weight off. then start up the weights.