body workout and running program

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Yppah
STARTING OUT

body workout and running program

Post by Yppah »

Hi,
I am beginner/semi advanced with training/working. Recently I decided to do both of them together because i love both of them. It has been a several weeks only so far and it's going well, i see progress in both of them, in running i improve every week and i see body in a bit better shape. But i want to hear your opinion on training program if I can improve something here.
Also i take protein shake after every training and i eat more fruits, vegetables, chicken breast, eggs and tuna.

Monday (afternoon): workout - chest, triceps, abs
Tuesday (evening): long run
Wednesday (afternoon): workout - back, biceps, abs
Thursday (afternoon or evening): tempo run / trail run
Friday (afternoon): workout - shoulders, legs, abs
Saturday - rest day
Sunday (morning): tempo run / interval run

Of course i won't be the best in both of them, but goal is to gain muscle mass, loose fat and improve in running.
Do you think this is fine? I appreciate a lot any advice
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: body workout and running program

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Yppah, good to talk to you.

Personally that doesn't look too bad. One main thing is not to go too heavy on volume when you're executing those workouts. Otherwise you could go stale as they say and need 4-7 days rest when you're lifts go backwards; as some people can overtrain by pusing themselves too hard.

Also don't worry about going to failure. Failure is not necessary and if you're struggling to push out the last rep of every set, because you're doing 4-4.5 second reps, you'll fatigue more by the end of your workout and it's pointless, because the extra energy expenditure may lead to going stale and the effects on your progress would realistically be negligable.

The diet looks to be pretty reasonable, but it's just a case of how often you're eating per day and how many calories of healthy food you're getting per day as well.

I would be careful about the Tuna as it contains heavy metals which are not good for you, so you might want to limit how much you eat, to maybe 50g per day, or 100g on alternate days, ot mnegate the risk of accumulation and eventually heavy metal toxicity.

As for the protein shakes, you only need ones with limited ingredients I;E whey protein, BCAA's Glutamine and maybe something in it like creatine, but avoid the ones with loads of ingredients and proprietary blends as they are not really necessary.
Yppah
STARTING OUT

Re: body workout and running program

Post by Yppah »

Thank you very much Boss Man for your input :)

No I do not go too heavy on workout days and regarding the food, I dont eat that tuna every day, but maybe 2-3 times a week, I focus more on the rest of the food, thats why i posted tuna as the last item. And I only take whey protein I forgot to mention.
It's good to hear it's not bad, but if somebody else has some other inputs i am looking forward to see it.