How to do a routine from zero

Which workout routine or program is best for your fitness goal? Post your programs here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

How to do a routine from zero

Post by SSALVAS »

Hi, I need help here. I am doing a new routine, because the last one told me to increase the repetitions throught the sets, while mantaining the weight. The first set was for warming up with the 2/3 of the usual weight. Sometimes it was like doing 5 repetitions with 5 kg, so I didn't feel that chest for example was warm enough. I also heard about the piramid: You have to start with more repetitions and less weight, and at the end do like 6 rep with the maximum weight you can.

This last one is a good way to work out? I think so.

The purpose of this routine is to build lean muscle. The diet is OK I eat quite a lot of good food.

And Now I am struggling thinking which exercises to put in first day. idea is to do 1st day upper body, 2nd day lower body, 1 day rest, cardio sesion, 3 day upper body, 4 day lower body, 1 day rest, cardio session, 1st day and so on.
As for the 1 day and 3 day (upper body) I want to split up the muscles I work directly in each session, so that the muscles have the most time possible to recover and grow.

So, to start I need the biggest muscles as I read before. But which ones? I was thinking about back and shoulders for the first day, and chest, biceps and triceps for the second day.

I am thinking about:

1 day
treadmill 5 min
cable seated low row
shrug...

And I got stuck because I want to do super sets, and I don't know if in order to do a good super set I have to do back-to-back 2 exercises of the same muscle, or to do back-to-back 2 exercises of different muscles to give the muscles more time to rest..
So, cable seated low row(Trapezius), and after shrug (shoulder)
or cable low row and after machine lateral pull-down (trapezius)

If it is interesting for any of you, this is the routine I started this week:
Workout Summary:

29Jan10

swissball
preacher curl
Set 1, 5 kg for 7 reps
Set 2, 8 kg for 8 reps
Set 3, 8 kg for 10 reps 9 kg next

lying triceps extension
Set 1, 5 kg for 6 reps
Set 2, 8 kg for 8 reps
Set 3, 8 kg for 10 reps perfect

kettlebells bentoverrow
Set 1, 7 kg for 6 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 8 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 10 reps good

dumbbell incline bench press
Set 1, 7 kg for 6 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 8 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 10 reps 16 next

dumbbell flye
Set 1, 4 kg for 9 reps
Set 2, 8 kg for 10 reps
Set 3, 8 kg for 12 reps

seated reverse fly
Set 1, 4 kg for 8 reps
Set 2, 6 kg for 8 reps hard
Set 3, 4 kg for 12 reps perfect

30Jan10

bicycle kick
Set 1, 0 kg for 15 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 15 reps
Set 3, 0 kg for 15 reps

full body
Set 1, 0 kg for 1 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 1 reps

traditional crunch
Set 1, 0 kg for 15 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 15 reps
Set 3, 0 kg for 15 reps

glutes (stretch 1)
Set 1, 0 kg for 1 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 1 reps

adductors (stretch 1)
Set 1, 0 kg for 1 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 1 reps

dumbbell lunge
Set 1, 7 kg for 8 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 10 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 12 reps

hamstrings (stretch 3)
Set 1, 0 kg for 1 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 1 reps

quadriceps (stretch 2)
Set 1, 0 kg for 1 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 1 reps

singleleg
standing calf raise
Set 1, 4 kg for 10 reps
Set 2, 7 kg for 12 reps
Set 3, 7 kg for 14 reps

beginner squat
Set 1, 7 kg for 4 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 6 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 8 reps

02Feb10
swissball
preacher curl
Set 1, 6 kg for 8 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 9 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 10 reps

machine lateral pulldown
Set 1, 6 kg for 5 reps
Set 2, 9 kg for 6 reps
Set 3, 8 kg for 7 reps

dumbbell shoulder press
Set 1, 7 kg for 5 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 6 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 7 reps

arnold press
Set 1, 7 kg for 8 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 6 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 7 reps

dumbbell incline bench press
Set 1, 7 kg for 8 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 7 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 8 reps

upright row
Set 1, 3 kg for 8 reps
Set 2, 5 kg for 9 reps
Set 3, 6 kg for 10 reps

dumbbell flye
Set 1, 4 kg for 8 reps
Set 2, 10 kg for 7 reps
Set 3, 10 kg for 9 reps

bench dip
Set 1, 0 kg for 6 reps
Set 2, 0 kg for 7 reps
Set 3, 0 kg for 8 reps
daveb
STARTING OUT

Re: How to do a routine from zero

Post by daveb »

Super sets are good for breaking up an old routine and reducing the amount of time you spend in the gym. There are different types as well. I cant remember exactly what they are called at the moment. I know antagonistic supersets are where you work opposing muscle groups back to back. (Chest, Back) ive read that people do the same muscle group back to back while getting ready for competitions in the cut phase, (Bi's, Bi's). There are also triple double supersets, (Bi's, Bi's, Bi's, Tri's, Tri's, Tri's, rest). I used to do six days a week antagonistic supersets, (too much) but it got me cut. there are also double triple opposing. (Bi's, Bi's, Legs, Legs, Abs, Abs, rest.) there are ten million variations.

Lateral pull down works your lats, shrugs work your traps. But when you do Bi's, chinups for instance, indirectly work your back as well so you still have to give that muscle group some rest. I used to do this routine:day one. Weighted Chinups, weighted dips, rest. 3 sets, 10 reps. Standing funny bar curls, skull crushers, rest. 3 sets 10 reps. Cable straight bar curls, straight bar press down, rest. 3 sets of ten. day two. Legs, shoulders. day three, chest back then day off. The hard part is figuring out a proper schedule for resting all the muscles you work directly or indirectly. For instance you use alot of shoulder front delt on chest day so i just didnt work front delts the day before chest day. but if you do back and chest and then arm day your not giving your muscle groups sufficient rest. supersets are fun and they work with the proper scheduling but the logistics are confusing. i would just pick on that you feel is right for you and make sure your resting enough. hope this didnt just confuse you further. any questions, just ask, good luck.
SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

Post by SSALVAS »

Ok. So now, I will plan new routine and will share here afterwards. I have this app for ipod and iphone where you can log all your progress. Really good app. As you can see in each exercise wich muscles are you working directly and secondarily you only have to spend time thinking...I am too tired after college. I can't be bothered right now, but I will do it after the nap.
See you later and thanks!
SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

Post by SSALVAS »

Hi
I have been busy but I planned first day: Back and shoulders

I will do quick streches to warm up upper body, over 3 minutes, and then will do supersets (2 exercises back-to-back 3 sets, and then another 2 exercises)
The first set will be with less weight but around 15 repetitions to warm up, and te last 2 sets nearly to the limit increasing the weight as much repetitions I can. More than 6 less than 12.

What do you think?

And exercises will be:

cable seated low row (trap main, lat and pectoralis secondarily) , machine lateral pull-down

shrug, seated reverse fly( (deltois main, infraspinatus and trap secondarily)

dumbbell upright row (deltois directly, trap secondarily) ,swiss-ball oblique back extension (Lower back main, lat sec)

dumbbell shoulder press, upright row (deltois main, biceps trap second)

Is it OK?
daveb
STARTING OUT

Post by daveb »

that looks fine. you can superset any muscle groups you want it just depends on your goals. as long as you are giving your body the proper diet and rest. how many days a week are you planning on working out?
SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

Post by SSALVAS »

I am not going to any workout day to a specific weekday since the week has 7 days and routine will last 8 days.
1.Cardio
2.Upper body
3.Lower body
4.Rest (study XD)

5.Cardio
6.Upper body (different muscles than the 2º day)
7Lower body (diferent exercises)
8 Rest

Abs are included in lower body sessions
daveb
STARTING OUT

Post by daveb »

That looks pretty solid. im going to switch to an upper lower split in a few weeks and that is something like what i have planned. it should work out just fine.
SSALVAS
STARTING OUT

Post by SSALVAS »

Okis thank you guys, in one month or so I will put here logs and impressions about the routine. Good luck!!