Can you lose weight swimming?

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Can you lose weight swimming?

Post by musculArgirl2 »

I have 5 weeks of gym membership left exactly, with sore feet i thought i would do an experiment in the next 5 weeks and swim as only cardio and do 2 days of strength training as well.

Info on the web is conflicting on if swimming is really good for weight loss. answer might be conflicting too since i am pretty notroious for having a bad diet sometimes and that is like the main thing with losing weight. But i thought i would try swimming 4 to 5 days a week for 5 weeks. I'm not a good swimmer, i only know 2 strokes and form isin't that great for either, but i also will swim with the kickboard, possibly water run or take a water exercise class too.

I'm still going to post in main journal this is just an experiment. I thought it might help motivate me to get to the gym and get swimming. :roll: Hopefully. :lol:
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Thu May 03, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: can you lose weight swimming?

Post by fitoverforty »

I think you can lose weight by swimming. But like you said, the most important thing is diet. If it isn't right, then no amount of working out is going to have lasting results. I think that is the one thing most of us struggle with. :?
As long as you are getting your heart rate up, working hard for at least 30 min. to an hour of swimming, or strength training, and eating clean, and healthy, I don't see why you couldn't continue to lose weight with swimming.
Good luck to you!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Thanks Lynne, i feel for the first time kind of bummed about feet today. Whenever i use a non supportive shoe (which i seemed to like the best) i seemed to get a heel ache. Just walking to the pool from the parking lot and then in the store later, i have a slight aching. :( It wasn't a super supportive shoe not bad though and i like it becaue it's easy to take off and on at the pool.

went swimming and did p90x back and legs. The swimming went okay.

Also ear ached a tad. Not to bad but something to take note of. So basically i didn't burn a lot of calories. I burn the most when i do freestyle but i didnt' do a lot of it, i did kickboard, backstroke as well. in 34 minutes i burned 161 calories. I want to burn more than that though.

Got home and did p90x back and legs. I modifed the workouts alittle bit because of weight and feet. also did ab routine with modified workouts.

1650 calories goal for today. tomorrow is a rest day. going to try and make a swim class on saturday morning.
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Yes. It works your whole body!!! When I go swimming, I tend to get sore everywhere!!!
And you guys already mentioned it... but Diet is import too :mrgreen:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Yes you can lose weight swimming, but it can potentially be too adaptive adn lose efficacy if the body adapts to it.

There's ways to avoid this though.

1. Change the cadence and / or stroke per week.

2. Change the cadence and / or stroke per session.

3. Change the cadence and / or stroke per width / length.

This way you don't just do the same thing week in week out, potentially making it less effective if the body adjusts to it.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

A few Modifications!

Post by musculArgirl2 »

I've decided to also incorportate walking 30 minutes on the treadmill with the swimming each week as long as the feet feel okay. :)
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

I really want too walk on the treadmill, but the ache is still there in feet just a little bit. I think it would probably be fine but i'm not going to chance it. Which is a bummer. :( :( . I would go swimming this afternoon but i am working later than normal today so i will miss the time i like to go. I may do arms and shoulders workout from p90x instead today.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Did p90x shoulders and arms and a modified and short version of ab ripper. :)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

I've decided to give up on this for now. I might try and do this in the warmer months. I would really like too. But i'm still burned out on swimming. I love swimming, but it's such a hassle to change, dry off, be embarrased of body, be embarrased of swimming form, drive to the gym, be cold and lazy so i don't dry hair before going out into 40 degree temperatures, worry about ears and dry skin i get when i swim alot, etc etc. I still love swimming, but right now i'm finding it hard to be motivated to do it. So i'm going to forget this for now. I thought this would help with motivation to swim. But it didn't. I'm sure i will miss it and get back into it one of these days. Besides feet are on the mend. :D
susangarcia703
STARTING OUT

Post by susangarcia703 »

I think you can lose weight while swimming provided it is intensive enough. It provides a good cardio workout and and can tone the body as well. It is actually possible to lose 500 calories per hour of swimming. However you need to complement swimming with other exercises and diets to see results too.
jacal1
STARTING OUT

Post by jacal1 »

If you do decide to get back into swimming, there are ways to mix things up and prevent burnout, such as using flippers, strapping small paddles to your hands, and just doing kicking with a kickboard. You can also get more enjoyment if you but waterproof radios that can be worn in the water - some people like music, but you can also listen to a book if you are doing laps. Finally, I've found that joining a small group who is getting together to swim makes a huge difference - it makes it more fun and social, and also improves motivation.

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:I've decided to give up on this for now. I might try and do this in the warmer months. I would really like too. But i'm still burned out on swimming. I love swimming, but it's such a hassle to change, dry off, be embarrased of body, be embarrased of swimming form, drive to the gym, be cold and lazy so i don't dry hair before going out into 40 degree temperatures, worry about ears and dry skin i get when i swim alot, etc etc. I still love swimming, but right now i'm finding it hard to be motivated to do it. So i'm going to forget this for now. I thought this would help with motivation to swim. But it didn't. I'm sure i will miss it and get back into it one of these days. Besides feet are on the mend. :D
I just saw this! I can relate. I would love to send you some ideas for swimming workouts when you're interested. I can scale them for any level - I'm not a speed swimmer myself, but I taught swimming lessons for 5 years. Let me know when you're heading back to the pool!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Thanks Athene. I do miss swimming! i haven't gone in a long time!! I miss gym for that main reason. :( I really liked the layout of gym pool and the fact that it was 24 hours so i could go at any time i wanted too. I don't have a gym membership right now though so i'm not going. But i will keep it in mind for furture reference!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Can you lose weight swimming?

Post by musculArgirl2 »

one thing i've notcied to is i've been swimming laps lately in a certain time without stopping and i feel face a little red when done and almost sweaty. it's funny to feel that way in the water but you do. :)
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Can you lose weight swimming?

Post by Boss Man »

Then eventually the pool gets too full of peoples sweat, to the point some people can taste it and wonder if they're actually in a swimming pool or a brine works :P.

Or possibly a desalination plant.