Project Shehulkish

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Project Shehulkish

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote: read a good article by Gary Taubes in The NewYorker today about new studies in nutrition and the results of a medical study between high fat-low carb eaters and high carb-low fat eaters, and the old calories-in-versus-calories-out debate regarding weight loss. Interesting stuff
interesting. I think a lot of people know that low carbing is good for weight loss but what about heart disease. Even the founder of atkins. don't remember his name i think he died from heart disease??? I only glanced through the article and read pieces of it though. So maybe i missed something too. :D

It's so nice you live so close to home you can bike! are you sweaty when you get to work??
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Yeah, I'm super sweaty when I get to work! It takes about 30 mins for me to stop sweating and cool down, then I change and wash face.

I don't really know a lot about the Atkins diet or the person, so I'm not sure. I eat high protein, high fat, and low carb, which I guess is kind of Atkinsish, from what I do know.

The article I posted in your journal refutes the saturated fat-leads-to-heart-disease claim and provides some studies as evidence, so I don't know if you found that helpful to your question, but I also saw this today by Googling the question "Does saturated fat cause heart disease?" And got this Saturated Fat Study which lays it out very simply: Saturated fat does not cause heart disease, period. It's a cultural belief that it does though, so it's not an easy piece of misinformation to turn around. It's like me telling 84 year old Ukrainian Grandma that bread is not nutritious lol she thinks bread is the staff of life, that humans are practically made of bread, and that I need bread to survive ;)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:
I don't really know a lot about the Atkins diet or the person, so I'm not sure. I eat high protein, high fat, and low carb, which I guess is kind of Atkinsish, from what I do know.

The article I posted in your journal refutes the saturated fat-leads-to-heart-disease claim and provides some studies as evidence, so I don't know if you found that helpful to your question, but I also saw this today by Googling the question "Does saturated fat cause heart disease?" And got this Saturated Fat Study which lays it out very simply: Saturated fat does not cause heart disease, period. It's a cultural belief that it does though, so it's not an easy piece of misinformation to turn around. It's like me telling 84 year old Ukrainian Grandma that bread is not nutritious lol she thinks bread is the staff of life, that humans are practically made of bread, and that I need bread to survive
Good point about your grandma! yeah i think i'm just like your grandma. :P LOL
Athene
REGULAR

July 29, 2012

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:Good point about your grandma! yeah i think i'm just like your grandma. :P LOL
Don't worry, everyone is like that with something! I don't think you're JUST LIKE Grandma ;) We grew up with skim milk, margarine, and "low-cal" for health, so it's not strange that we have trouble growing with the information and changing our habits. husband is the same. He understands what is good for him and what isn't, but he still feels a little bit of guilt when adding butter to vegetables and eating bacon every morning.

Lifestyle
Slept 9 hours, took one 30 min nap during the day
Cooking, cleaning, 4 hours at a desk (thesis... yeah!)

Training
Rest Day 2/2

Nutrition
12:00 PM - 3 eggs, 2 tbsp cheddar, 4 strips side bacon, 2 cups black coffee
3:00 PM - 250 ml whole milk, 2 tbsp nut butter
7:00 PM - 2 cups lean ground beef with peas and carrots, 2 cups steamed broccoli with butter, 1 tbsp nut butter
9:00 PM - 1 baked sweet potato, 4 cups romaine with caesar salad dressing, 4 oz chicken breast
11:00 PM - DERAILED - 1 piece cheesecake with ice cream, and 20 donut holes. Total cheat and totally lame, drove to the bakery late at night to avoid other feelings I was having and to have this problem instead.
Athene
REGULAR

July 30, 2012

Post by Athene »

Bought the brightest most colourful bikini I have ever seen. Never had a bathing suit that wasn't mostly black before! $15 on sale. Helped with emotional turmoil about other things :| Totally didn't take any fish oil today, or work on thesis. I felt kind of stressed and defeated, I'm not sure why. I'm sure things will feel better tomorrow.

Lifestyle
Slept 10 hours
Day off, running errands and sitting a lot

Training
Rest Day 1/2 this week

Nutrition
11:00 AM - 3 eggs, 4 strips bacon, 2 cups black coffee
2:00 PM - 2 eggs, homemade salsa, 1/2 baked potato, 2 cups coffee with cream
6:00 PM - 1 cup whole milk, 4 tbsp nut butter
8:00 PM - caesar salad (3 cups romaine lettuce, caesar salad dressing, 1/2 cup crumbled bacon), 1 cup fresh blueberries, 1/2 cup 35% cream
10:30 PM - 1 cup whole milk, 4 tbsp nut butter
Midnight - whey shake before bed
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

i bet it was kind of fun to go shopping for a bikini! hope things look up this morning. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Things will sort themselves out. Sometimes you just get one of those days. Just try to get over it, forget about it and see what happens :).

You're doing a fantastic job of looking after yourself right now and you have every right to be proud of yourself and your progress, so don't let little things start to dent confidence, mindset and effort levels, because you ARE better than that and you ARE stronger than that and I think you know in your own heart and mind, what you went through in the last 24 hours or so, is highly unlikely, (though not impossible), to continue for longer than perhaps another day at best.

Chin up, stay strong, keep focused on your goals and keep believing in yourself. There will always be off days on the way to a tough physical goal, but the best rise above them and see them as challenges to overcome, learn from and grow stronger off and you can do this too, because you DO have what it takes to overcome, learn and progress from days like these.

I'm really, really proud of you for what you've done recently and I won't let you start doing things, akin to kicking yourself in the teeth, because you don't need to be doing stuff like that, as you're better, stronger and more emotionally and mentally capable than that :).

Keep pushing and GOOD LUCK. You're an awesome Lady and you've always got me in your corner as long as you want me okay and if you need to talk, get in touch anytime, because if you feel able to, your problems can always be problems and that's coming from a moderator and a friend as well :).
Athene
REGULAR

July 31, 2012

Post by Athene »

It was fun Becky 8) I have never done that before and felt excited to go to the beach rather than stressed about finding a bathing suit that wouldn't make me feel uncomfortable. Maybe I'll get to the beach some time next weekend.

Thanks, Boss! Really. I'm framing that one in brain :)

Things were better today, I was just in a slump about slacking on thesis and cheat from the night before, I guess. Planned = "treat", good; Unplanned = "cheat", bad! When will I learn? When I follow plan, with anything, I am happy and balanced. When I don't follow it, I really go off the rails in more ways than one. I made an enormous batch of "fat cookies" last night: 1 jar almond butter, 2 beaten eggs, 1 tbsp maple flavour, 1 tbsp splenda, 1/2 tbsp cinnamon, and 1 almond pressed into the top of each cookie. It made 41 cookies. There's about 2 tbsp of almond butter per cookie, that's about 16 g of fat and 6 grams of protein, 6 grams of carbs. So I will have them as a fat source with meals or as a low-carb snack. I'm also experimenting with making popsicles out of 35% cream and loose cream of earl grey tea (earl grey + lavender + vanilla). I have some ice cubes in the fridge right now, we'll see what happens.

Lifestyle
Slept 8 hours
Biked 10k to work, got a lift home
At a desk 6 hours

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull up, air squat, push up, sit up
Technique - Push Jerk practice
WOD - 12 min AMRAP: 3 strict press, 5 push press, 7 push jerk (6 rounds + 1 strict press with 45 lbs)
Flexibility

Nutrition
10:30 AM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar, 1 strip crumbled bacon, 2 cups black coffee
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 4 cups romaine, 2 tbsp caesar dressing, 1/2 cup bacon bits, 900 mg fish oil
7:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 1 apple, 1800 mg fish oil
11:00 PM - postWOD 1 cup whole milk, 4 almond cookies
12:00 PM - 2 cups lean ground beef with peas and carrots, 4 cups romaine with caesar salad dressing and bacon bits, 900 mg fish oil
Athene
REGULAR

August 1, 2012

Post by Athene »

Lifestyle
Slept 9 hours
Got a ride to and from work
Walked on lunch break

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull up, air squat, push up, sit up
WOD - 5 rounds on rower: 500 m sprint for time + 3 min rest (1:54, 1:56, 1:57, 1:56, 1:58)
Flexibility

Nutrition
9:30 AM - 1 cup black coffee, 2 almond butter cookies
11:30 AM - 2 eggs, 4 breakfast sausages, 2 cups breakfast potatoes, 2 slices tomato, 2 cups coffee with cream
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 6 cups romaine, 1/4 cup crumbled bacon, 3 tbsp caesar salad dressing, 900 mg fish oil
6:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 1 apple, 900 mg fish oil
11:00 PM - 1 can tuna, 10 kalamata olives, Heinz chile sauce, 900 mg fish oil
Last edited by Athene on Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: August 1, 2012

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Admire you for your consistency Karrie!! Your doing really well. :) Hope you enjoy your trip to the beach. 8)
Athene
REGULAR

August 2, 2012

Post by Athene »

Thanks Becky, I'm trying. I didn't do so well with the cheating, so I'm not going to do it again until I go on vacation on August 21. Weird how the 21 was big date in July too.

Lifestyle
Slept 7 hours
Biked 10k to work, biked 10k home
Walked on lunch break

Training
Warm Up - 250 m row, 2 sets 10 air squats
Technique - Back Squat practice
WOD - Max Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 (finally at bodyweight, 150)
Flexibility

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar, 4 strips side bacon, 2 cups coffee with milk, 900 mg fish oil
1:00 PM - BCAA drink
3:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 6 cups spinach, 1/4 cup bacon, 2 tbsp caesar salad dressing, 900 mg fish oil
7:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 900 mg fish oil
10:45 PM - 1 cup whole milk, 4 almond butter cookies
11:30 PM - 1 can tuna, 1/2 orange pepper, 2 tbsp dijon mustard/yogurt dressing
Midnight: 4 almond butter cookies
Athene
REGULAR

August 3, 2012

Post by Athene »

Too much coffee today, yowza :shock:

Lifestyle
Slept 7 hours
Biked 10k to work, biked 10k home

Training
30 min swim - kicking drills, front crawl for quality, low intensity

Nutrition
8:00 AM - 1 cup coffee with milk
9:00 AM - BCAA drink
10:00 AM - 2 eggs, 4 breakfast sausage, 1 cup panfried potato, 2 cups coffee with cream
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 6 cups spinach salad with crumbled bacon and caesar salad dressing, 2 cups black coffee, 1800 mg fish oil
6:30 PM - 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, 1/4 cup mixed berries
10:30 PM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, sprinkle shredded cheese, 2 cups spinach, 1800 mg fish oil
11:30 PM - 4 almond butter cookies
Athene
REGULAR

August 4, 2012

Post by Athene »

Haven't eaten much today, but have been productive. Working on thesis now and going out for dinner later. No cheating for me until I really, really want to plan something before our holiday on August 21. I don't want to cheat now, I feel like it will derail me. In July I planned 2 treat meals, and cheated an extra 2 times. For me that's great, but I want it to be even better in August.

husband and I are going to stay with his parents for 2 weeks in August, so we won't have a lot of control over what we eat, but they're really gracious hosts and have asked what they can do as far as groceries are concerned, which is really above and beyond, in opinion. We just said that eggs for breakfast were the most important thing for us, and that we don't eat grains, so we'll have lots of salads, fruit and protein, hopefully. They eat pretty healthily, but rely heavily on grains (toast for breakfast, crackers and cheese for snacks, rice or pasta with dinner, etc.), so we'll just make sure we always have a vegetable-option at hand. Usually I lose weight when I go to in-laws because they eat such smaller meals than we do in Canada... usually I joke that I starve to death, but I have never told them that! I'm thinking I might bring whey powder with me in suitcase so I can at least feed muscle reliably :twisted:

Lifestyle
Slept 9 hours
Day off from work
Helped a friend move from one apartment to another, 2 hours

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 20 pull ups, 30 push ups, 40 air squats
WOD - 'Murph' for time: 1 mile run, 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, 300 air squats, 1 mile run (66:22)
Flexibility

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 2 slices cantaloupe, 2 cups black coffee
1:30 PM - preWOD 1 can Blue Monkey coconut water
4:30 PM - postWOD 2 cups whole milk
5:30 PM - 4 cups fresh spinach, 2 tbsp caesar salad dressing, 1/4 cup crumbled bacon, 2 cups coffee with milk
9:30 PM - 7 oz sirloin steak, 1 cup steamed broccoli, 5 garden carrots, 1 cup sauteed mushrooms, 1 cup decaf with cream
Last edited by Athene on Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: August 4, 2012

Post by Boss Man »

Athene wrote:Blue Monkey
Strange name for a company.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:Haven't eaten much today, but have been productive. Working on thesis now and going out for dinner later. No cheating for me until I really, really want to plan something before our holiday on August 21. I don't want to cheat now, I feel like it will derail me. In July I planned 2 treat meals, and cheated an extra 2 times. For me that's great, but I want it to be even better in August.

husband and I are going to stay with his parents for 2 weeks in August, so we won't have a lot of control over what we eat, but they're really gracious hosts and have asked what they can do as far as groceries are concerned, which is really above and beyond, in opinion. We just said that eggs for breakfast were the most important thing for us, and that we don't eat grains, so we'll have lots of salads, fruit and protein, hopefully. They eat pretty healthily, but rely heavily on grains (toast for breakfast, crackers and cheese for snacks, rice or pasta with dinner, etc.), so we'll just make sure we always have a vegetable-option at hand. Usually I lose weight when I go to in-laws because they eat such smaller meals than we do in Canada... usually I joke that I starve to death, but I have never told them that! I'm thinking I might bring whey powder with me in suitcase so I can at least feed muscle reliably
You are doing awesome on the no cheats!!! Have a nice time in England!! sounds like a blast!! What a nice place to go and stay for free. :)

it's funny when you visit someone else and have to get use to their routine how hard it can be meal wise! So do british people then abide by portion control? It kind of sounds like they do. :)