Project Shehulkish

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Athene
REGULAR

Cravings & English People

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:You are doing awesome on the no cheats!!!
Thanks, Becky! Coincidentally, after I posted that, tonight turned out to be really hard.

Right after I made that post we went for dinner, and I was fine throughout the whole meal, I had steak and veggies, and a decaf coffee instead of dessert; and then on the drive home I just wanted donuts and all I wanted to do was drive to a Tim Horton's and get like 40 donut holes or 6 donuts. Uggghhh!!!! :evil: I pulled over and thought about it, then husband started saying things like "You don't want it, come on let's just go home.... You'll regret it, you know it's not what you want...etc." and then I got mad at HIM and resented him for pressuring me to make the decision that he thought was best. He's the one that has to live with me when I cheat and am down for a few days, but I really think if I'm going to cheat I just need to cheat and let that be it. I don't know. Already I'm more relaxed and I see he was just trying to help.... why is it so emotional for me? I don't get it. I felt so good until that drive home from dinner and then the craving just hit me and nothing else mattered. Do you ever feel that way?
musculArgirl2 wrote:Have a nice time in England!! sounds like a blast!! What a nice place to go and stay for free. :)

it's funny when you visit someone else and have to get use to their routine how hard it can be meal wise! So do british people then abide by portion control? It kind of sounds like they do. :)
inlaws are both super slim and don't eat much at all! I don't know if this is how all English people eat, but here is a typical day with them:

Breakfast - 1-2 pieces of toast with margarine or jam, and some tea or coffee
Lunch - Some kind of vegetable soup and maybe a piece of bread
Snack - A cup of tea, and maybe crackers and cheese or a scone with jam
Supper - 1 cup of rice with 1 cup of beef/vegetable stew (or something similar, and they don't cook enough for seconds)
Dessert - 1 tiny sliver of some amazing cake, and tea or coffee

On that I will die by about 3PM, and before bed stomach is eating itself. I used to ask J to go down to the pantry to get me an apple, or I would go to town and buy a bunch of non-perishables to store in our guest room so that I could eat and not be embarrassed! So funny! It really is a beautiful place to visit and I really enjoy time with them... I just usually lose about 10 lbs, depending on the length of our visit.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Project Shehulkish

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote: Do you ever feel that way?

i don't know why you felt the urge for donuts. but the moment passed. So maybe just the knowledge that when you have those urges you know it will pass in a certain amount of time will help?? I'm not even close to comparing to you and how strict your diet is at all so it's hard for me to answer that but i do understand the urge to overeat and how it's hard to control that impulse. I understand that way to well unfortunately.

I think you are smart in just buying things or bringing whey protein or whatever on the side then and having them when their not around. :D :D I feel for you in that respect though. Have they ever visited you in canada?? They probably would be like, what's with all the food! :P
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

I guess I think of cravings as an emotional impulse almost, when I want a specific experience. I felt we were going home to relax after a nice dinner, and I wanted a familiar, comforting, and enjoyable experience, and in brain that equates with eating junk. It's not in line with goals at all, but it is with personality, sadly. Apparently I'm hyper sensitive about people trying to tell me what to eat when I'm in craving-mode, and I don't like it when people point out an inconsistent action :oops: I will not become the Hulk about sugar cravings, but not exercise! That was not the idea!

Haha no inlaws have never come here. They will freak when they see how much we eat in our "natural environment"! lol
Athene
REGULAR

August 5, 2012

Post by Athene »

Lifestyle
Slept 7.5 hours
Day off from work
Lounging around and sitting at a desk all day

Training
Rest Day (tomorrow will be a rest day too because of the crazy WOD yesterday)

Nutrition
11:00 AM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar, 4 strips side bacon, 2 cups coffee with milk
(drinking a lot of water all day)
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 1 cup black coffee
5:30 PM - BCAA drink
(Edit: forgot to add other meals on this day... now I can't remember as well but I'll estimate it)
7:00 PM - 6 oz chicken breast, 5 prawns, 1 cup sauteed potato, onion, and mushrooms
Last edited by Athene on Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Athene wrote:and then the craving just hit me and nothing else mattered. Do you ever feel that way?
Yes! It's like brain changes and I am able to rationalize and justify the temptation. Knowing that I shouldn't eat it does not seem to enter head, all I think about it the pleasant taste and I shut out all other thoughts. :roll:
So I totally get it.
Athene wrote: I pulled over and thought about it, then husband started saying things like "You don't want it, come on let's just go home.... You'll regret it, you know it's not what you want...etc." and then I got mad at HIM and resented him for pressuring me
I think the reason you got mad at him is because he was saying exactly what you did NOT want to be thinking about at the time. He was your conscience - and you did not like it. :D You probably would have gotten mad at him too if he had said something like "yes! go for it Karrie - eat those 6 donuts, you know you want them!" :wink: Poor guy... :lol: But I do understand exactly where you are at with that. I will get mad at husband if he says ANYTHING like "you sure you want that?" - OMG I will go OFF on him - "so what EXACTLY are you trying to say dear?" "What's your point? You think I'm fat? is THAT what your trying to say?" :lol: :lol: And he's like "No....I'm not saying that at all....I just meant...." - when it's really me being mad at myself because he is right, you know? So hang in there, you are amongst friends. :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Portion control in Britain, err no way :wink:

I think we are now rated the fattest nation in Europe. The highest ratio of chubby Brits, will mostly be in large urban areas, because many people who live in small rural towns and villages will struggle to get overweight, because places with 2,000 or less people are not likely to have places like KFC, McDonalds, Burger King and Wimpy, because big brands like that, would probably assume the footfall and therefore profitability of such outlets, to be not worth their bother and a drain on revenues, as many would probably turn a loss.

Try builiding such an outlet in a place with 10,000+ people and then your profitability should become very viable and more than enough to cover the intitial build and then operating overheads once open.

Many small towns or villages with 1,000 or less people will have small shops, but the worst things you could probably buy to consume would be stuff like chocolate and fizzy drinks, unless you went to church, in which case the communion wafers could be quite fattening, I think they contain hydrogenates and high fructose corn syrup perhaps, but being atheist I have no knowledge of such things :wink:
Athene
REGULAR

August 7, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:Portion control in Britain, err no way :wink:
Australia just beat America as the fattest nation recently - the last time I checked! I know Britain has a big binge drinking and eating culture, with lots of smoking, so it's pretty unhealthy generally, but inlaws live in a tiny village and are super unconcerned with food and eating, I just don't think it occupies their minds much. They don't eat much, they don't think about food much. They just walk a lot and bike a lot, and visit garden centres and things on weekends :) They're really sweet, but just don't have a family food culture outside of eating to survive and being polite when someone offers you something. I learned how to eat with a knife and fork at their place, too :P
fitoverforty wrote:I think the reason you got mad at him is because he was saying exactly what you did NOT want to be thinking about at the time. He was your conscience - and you did not like it. :D You probably would have gotten mad at him too if he had said something like "yes! go for it Karrie - eat those 6 donuts, you know you want them!" :wink: Poor guy... :lol: But I do understand exactly where you are at with that. I will get mad at husband if he says ANYTHING like "you sure you want that?" - OMG I will go OFF on him - "so what EXACTLY are you trying to say dear?" "What's your point? You think I'm fat? is THAT what your trying to say?" :lol: :lol: And he's like "No....I'm not saying that at all....I just meant...." - when it's really me being mad at myself because he is right, you know? So hang in there, you are amongst friends. :D
You're completely right! I told him I was sorry and that I was resenting him, but that it wasn't his fault and I knew that. He and I balance each other out, so we're used to playing that role, but I think it's been tough on him recently. I know he doesn't think I'm unattractive or anything, so I don't take it as a slight, I just like to be the one in control of things, even when I'm out of control and giving myself permission, you know? It's stupid. "I am amongst friends." I will hold onto that next time :)

Today was okay. Eating was a bit off, but everything else was fine. friends and I decided we're training for the Sprint Triathlon next summer, that's a 750m swim, 20 km bike, and 5k run. I want to be fit enough to move quickly the whole time, so it's a good goal. I've done 2 mini-tris and 1 sprint relay in the last year, so this feels like the next logical step. I went to the beach yesterday and it was so nice. It wasn't as hot as I would have preferred, but it was sunny the whole time at least. There were a lot of waves because of the wind so friend and I went out and rode the waves for a while. I kept the sunblock going and didn't get burned, and I had a cheeseburger and ice cream and didn't log anything! I am a disgrace! Oh well I had fun, and I'm here now logging the crap out of everything.

Lifestyle
Slept 9 hours
Biked 10k to work, got a ride home
Walked on lunch break
At a desk 6 hours

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 2 sets 10 each: pull up, air squat, push up, sit up
Technique - Leg pistols
WOD - 12 min AMRAP: 12 Push Press at 55 lbs, 12 C2B Pull Ups, 12 Leg Pistols (alternating)
Flexibility

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 3 eggs, 2 tbsp cheddar, 3 strips side bacon, 3 cups coffee with milk (why do I always eat things in 2s or 3s? Weird!)
4:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 1 apple, 900 mg fish oil
7:00 PM - 6 cups fresh spinach, 1/4 cup crumbled bacon, 2 tbsp caesar salad dressing, 900 mg fish oil
11:00 PM - 1/4 cup almonds
Midnight: 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar cheese, 2 tbsp salsa, 1 garden tomato with salt and pepper, 1 cup hot cocoa (whole milk, splenda, cocoa powder), 900 mg fish oil
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote: friends and I decided we're training for the Sprint Triathlon next summer, that's a 750m swim, 20 km bike, and 5k run. I want to be fit enough to move quickly the whole time, so it's a good goal. I've done 2 mini-tris and 1 sprint relay in the last year, so this feels like the next logical step. I went to the beach yesterday and it was so nice. It wasn't as hot as I would have preferred, but it was sunny the whole time at least. There were a lot of waves because of the wind so friend and I went out and rode the waves for a while. I kept the sunblock going and didn't get burned, and I had a cheeseburger and ice cream and didn't log anything! I am a disgrace! Oh well I had fun, and I'm here now logging the crap out of everything.
Sprint sounds great!! Glad you had a nice time. lots of waves is the best. :)
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

The waves were so fun :D

I have a feeling you and I will be pushing each other all winter with this triathlon stuff!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:The waves were so fun

I have a feeling you and I will be pushing each other all winter with this triathlon stuff!
:D :D I hope!!! If i really like it in November i for sure will do one again this winter sometime. :D

I got two questions for you Karrie?

Do you think bodyrock tv is too advanced for me? Just wondering because as much as i would like to have a trainer i really want to get bills paid off this year too! i could always try to be more consistent with p90x too though.

Also, i don't know if you read this. I mentioned it in journal but i'm helping mom get better at swimming. She really has hardly ever been in the water till this summer and she loves it!! she is trying to use a kickboard. But for some reason she can't seem to move forward very much when kicking.. she is horizontal in the water. she is not real strong not a lot of meat on her bones. I think she is kicking not with her whole leg may be the reason why. Not sure how to help her use her whole leg though. I think she gets afraid and then can't seem to do it when i tell her to try that. Any suggestions for her?? Thanks!!
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Ah yes, the cravings. It happens for us boys too. I find that eating "white" carbs give the big cravings or when I am dehydrated. Nothing good happens then. Either I am crabby for not eating what I am craving or disgusted with myself for eating it. Like mentioned earlier though I know the feeling will pass but I will be the first to admit I do give in 25% of the time. Don't be to hard on yourself and just try to learn for next time. wife has taken the brunt of crabbiness so I think she is in line for sainthood :)
Athene
REGULAR

August 8, 2012

Post by Athene »

Becky, I loved reading about your swimming adventures during Adult Hour with your Mom! Here are answers to your questions:

1. If you don't have any issues with P90X, I think bodyrock.tv is fine. Just focus on the bodyweight workouts, and avoid the ones with equipment. The cool thing is free online workouts don't cost anything, so you can sample a few from all over. There is also zuzkalight.com and crossfit.com

2. It's tough to explain flutter kick to new swimmers, but I use a combination of this info:
- The kick starts from the hip, so you almost have to wiggle your butt from side-to-side to get it going, and keep your legs long and your ankles loose.
- New swimmers tend to bend the knee and kick from the knee, so practicing with a kickboard and a "long, loose" leg helps to get a feel for it.
- If your pool has flippers, try them - it really streamlines things and stops folks from bending their knees.
richs wrote:Ah yes, the cravings. It happens for us boys too. I find that eating "white" carbs give the big cravings or when I am dehydrated. Nothing good happens then. Either I am crabby for not eating what I am craving or disgusted with myself for eating it. Like mentioned earlier though I know the feeling will pass but I will be the first to admit I do give in 25% of the time. Don't be to hard on yourself and just try to learn for next time. wife has taken the brunt of crabbiness so I think she is in line for sainthood :)
Thanks for the compassion, Rich! I think husband is in the same boat. I haven't had an incident since then, and I aspire to be cool and collected, and not get rage-y, the next time it does :evil: I avoid processed carbs specifically to avoid the sugar-highs, subsequent insulin spikes, cravings, and weight gain. I have noticed recently that even when an unprocessed carb is higher in sugar, like if I eat berries instead of greens, I get more cravings for sweets later in the day as opposed to zero cravings. Cutting sugar out except for cheat meals has really helped me that way.

Lifestyle
Slept 8 hours
Drove to and from work
Walked on lunch break

Training
Rest Day - self imposed to work on thesis more, didn't feel good about cutting training, but needed more time. 12 days until holiday when I need to resubmit chapters. Trying so hard to balance work, school, training, nutrition, sleep, and family obligations right now.

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar, 3 strips side bacon, 1 cup black coffee
2:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 3 cups broccoli slaw, 2 tbsp salad dressing, 900 mg fish oil
5:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 3 cups broccoli slaw, 2 tbsp salad dressing, 900 mg fish oil
10:30 PM - 2 cups extra lean ground beef with sauteed mushrooms
11:30 PM - 2 pumpkin bars (new recipe: almond butter, canned pumpkin, egg whites, cinnamon, splenda, haven't done the math on the ingredients, I just wanted something portable for snacks or a fast breakfast in front of the computer in the mornings)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:Becky, I loved reading about your swimming adventures during Adult Hour with your Mom! Here are answers to your questions:

1. If you don't have any issues with P90X, I think bodyrock.tv is fine. Just focus on the bodyweight workouts, and avoid the ones with equipment. The cool thing is free online workouts don't cost anything, so you can sample a few from all over. There is also zuzkalight.com and crossfit.com

2. It's tough to explain flutter kick to new swimmers, but I use a combination of this info:
- The kick starts from the hip, so you almost have to wiggle your butt from side-to-side to get it going, and keep your legs long and your ankles loose.
- New swimmers tend to bend the knee and kick from the knee, so practicing with a kickboard and a "long, loose" leg helps to get a feel for it.
- If your pool has flippers, try them - it really streamlines things and stops folks from bending their knees.
Thank you! I love to say "adult Hour' it sounds so ??? but it's pretty innocent.

thanks for the suggestions Karrie! mom will get it i think she is already doing better. :)

Athene wrote:Rest Day - self imposed to work on thesis more, didn't feel good about cutting training, but needed more time. 12 days until holiday when I need to resubmit chapters. Trying so hard to balance work, school, training, nutrition, sleep, and family obligations right now.
You got to do what you got to do. You are doing really well at balancing it all. Actually you are doing better than well more like awesome!!! Keep it up! :D
Athene
REGULAR

August 9, 2012

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:Thank you! I love to say "adult Hour' it sounds so ??? but it's pretty innocent.

thanks for the suggestions Karrie! mom will get it i think she is already doing better. :)
Haha I never thought of it that way! I imagine it's nice not having kids throwing balls at your head and doing cannon balls beside your lap swimming lane! I would definitely appreciate that. I'm sure your mom really appreciates you helping her out as well. Swimming is the best.
musculArgirl2 wrote:
Athene wrote:Rest Day - self imposed to work on thesis more, didn't feel good about cutting training, but needed more time. 12 days until holiday when I need to resubmit chapters. Trying so hard to balance work, school, training, nutrition, sleep, and family obligations right now.
You got to do what you got to do. You are doing really well at balancing it all. Actually you are doing better than well more like awesome!!! Keep it up! :D
Thanks, man. I'm trying!

Today was the most balanced I guess, but not satisfying! I didn't do anything perfectly, but kind of touched on everything (!) Eating was okay but I had a fancy espresso drink instead of eating third meal, and almost copped out on workout, but then did something small because I figured it was better than nothing. Forgot about fish oil almost totally, but took at least 1 pill, and worked on thesis for 3 hours. Had an 8 hour workday too, but that's a necessity not a choice, so it doesn't count as an achievement :P Pretty good. Biking to work still feels like a workout every day, depending on the wind, so I kind of view that as "Part 1" most days. It's better than me taking the car or the bus, both feel like a waste of time when it's still sunny and warm outside.

Lifestyle
Slept 7.5 hours
Biked 10k to work, got a ride home
Walked on lunch break

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 10 pull ups, 10 air squats, 10 sit ups
WOD - 100 Pull Ups for time (9:53ish)
Flexibility

Nutrition
8:30 AM - 2 pumpkin bars, 2 cups coffee with milk
11:30 AM - 4 eggs, 2 tbsp cheddar, 1/4 cup chopped pepper and tomato
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 4 cups broccoli slaw, 2 tbsp vinaigrette, 900 mg fish oil
4:30 PM - grande latte, no sweetener or sugar of course
9:00 PM - 3 tbsp almond butter
10:30 PM - 2 cups extra lean ground beef with mushrooms, 1 pumpkin bar (Extra lean ground beef is awesome! 10g fat and 21g protein per 1/2 cup... I'm overeating on it! 2 cups is way too much, I should probably cut it back to 1)
Athene
REGULAR

August 10, 2012

Post by Athene »

Lifestyle
Slept 7 hours (gotta watch this, it's sliding down into "normal person range" and I can't have that!)
Day Off from work - running lots of errands, family event, working on paper, etc.

Training
TBA, going to be swimming or running - Update: didn't do either

Nutrition
6:30 AM - 1 pumpkin bar, 1 cup whole milk
--Can't remember!!--
Last edited by Athene on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.