Project Shehulkish

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Project Shehulkish

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Need some updating missy! :wink:
Athene
REGULAR

August 12, 2012

Post by Athene »

I know, right?! Thanks :D The past few days have been nuts. I was manning the fort alone at work, and with vacation coming up I'm at full-tilt with paper-writing. I worked out only twice last week, and had 1 planned treat and 1 cheat, so I'm not super impressed with myself right now. I'm trying to keep it in perspective though, year-round I'm pretty darn good about training, and nutritionally things have just been getting better and better. Cheating and treating is starting to just feel bad, like physiologically, to the point that the list of treat food that I want to experience is getting shorter and shorter.

Here's an interesting link someone sent me - it kind of epitomizes the issues with current ideas about "healthy diet and exercise" ie. eating tons of carbs and doing chronic cardio http://www.marksdailyapple.com/-healt ... z23MnH8xM5

Has anyone seen The Dark Knight Rises? I really enjoyed it. I love the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy. Again, me with the superheroes :wink:

Update: It's after 1AM, no exercise, just working on paper, eating, and taking breaks on the balcony or in front of the tv. I might just go for a run right now, but I think it might wake me up... I dunno. I didn't eat any vegetables today either.

Lifestyle
Slept 10 hours (felt sooo good)
Day Off

Training
TBA

Nutrition
1:00 PM - 2 pumpkin bars (fat/pro/carb balanced), 2 cups coffee with milk
4:00 PM - 4 eggs, 2 tbsp cheddar, 4 strips side bacon, lots of water, 900 mg fish oil
5:30 PM - 1 coffee with milk
9:30 PM - 6 oz chicken breast, 1/2 a baked potato with butter
10:00 PM - 1 pumpkin bar, 1 cup earl grey
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:Here's an interesting link someone sent me - it kind of epitomizes the issues with current ideas about "healthy diet and exercise" ie. eating tons of carbs and doing chronic cardio http://www.marksdailyapple.com/-healt ... z23MnH8xM5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting article. she looks awesome. funny she had the same results you do with no weight loss. i still can't get over though eating more fat is good. :wink: but i see there are some definitely good results with your program!

Athene wrote:Has anyone seen The Dark Knight Rises? I really enjoyed it. I love the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy. Again, me with the superheroes
haven't seen it. I"m not a realy big action flick person. So i havent' actually seen any of those movies.
Athene wrote:Update: It's after 1AM, no exercise, just working on paper, eating, and taking breaks on the balcony or in front of the tv. I might just go for a run right now, but I think it might wake me up... I dunno. I didn't eat any vegetables today either.
i think exercise totally wakes you up. Since i started going to adult hour, i've been going to be later and later and can't sleep at normal early time. I love sitting out at night in the summer!! sounds enjoyable but get some sleep!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

More fat is good if it's the right kind and people shouldn't be afraid of fat, as long as they know what is good from what is bad :).
Athene
REGULAR

August 14, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:More fat is good if it's the right kind and people shouldn't be afraid of fat, as long as they know what is good from what is bad :).
Actually with the "primal" way of eating, no types of fat are off limits - except trans fats of course, which is an artificial fat that does not occur in any of the natural, whole foods eaten. I know it's hard to understand to most people, but the research on it is compelling. The results people get in the CrossFit and Primal communities (internal and external results, I mean) with this way of eating is incredible, and these are the healthiest, fittest people in the world (see the CrossFit Games 2012, none of these people have high cholesterol, diabetes, or cardiovascular disease)

So I really messed myself up playing tennis yesterday. neck, left ankle, and right wrist are angry at me. Weird! I never thought of tennis as a dangerous sport, but I guess I'm not used to the movements and they are quite jarring. I actually had to take the day off to ice neck and rest - I can't even turn head to the right.

Lifestyle
Slept 10 hours

Training
Rest (this is worrying me, I wanted to train more before going on vacation, not less... I just don't want to move neck the wrong way and hurt myself more today)

Nutrition
11:00 AM - 1 pumpkin bar (fat/pro/carb balanced for me), 2 cups coffee with milk
3:00 PM - 3 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar, 3 strips side bacon, 1 cup black coffee, 900 mg fish oil
7:00 PM - 6 oz white fish, coconut milk, cilantro and red pepper flakes, 8 asparagus spears, 900 mg fish oil
11:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 3 tbsp almond butter, 1 cup whole milk
Last edited by Athene on Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Athene
REGULAR

August 13, 2012 (out of order, oops)

Post by Athene »

I didn't realize I forgot to post yesterday. I did a good job with food, ate veggies and fruit, and for training I tried a new sport. I don't think I'll be playing ever again, but that's fine by me :P

Lifestyle
Slept 5 hours (paper-working)
Biked 10k to work
Biked 10k home from work (I tried to make this more of a workout and did it on a low gear and tried to be as fast as possible, but the fastest I ever get is still 20-21 mins, it doesn't ever improve, and goes down to about 24 mins if I have to wait out a whole red light or two)

Training
90 minutes "playing" tennis - first time, so brutally bad at it

Nutrition
7:00 AM - 1 pumpkin bar, 1 cup whole milk
10:00 AM - 1 black Americano
11:30 AM - 4 eggs, 2 tbsp cheddar, 4 strips side bacon, 900 mg fish oil
3:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 3 cups green salad (with broccoli, red cabbage), 12 almonds, 900 mg fish oil
6:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 3 cups green salad, 12 almonds, 900 mg fish oil
10:30 PM - 2 cups ground beef with carrots and peas ("condiment" amounts of carrots and peas), 2 pumpkin bars
Midnight - 1 apple, 4 tbsp almond butter
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

musculArgirl2 wrote:
Athene wrote:Here's an interesting link someone sent me - it kind of epitomizes the issues with current ideas about "healthy diet and exercise" ie. eating tons of carbs and doing chronic cardio http://www.marksdailyapple.com/-healt ... z23MnH8xM5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Interesting article. she looks awesome. funny she had the same results you do with no weight loss.
Funnily enough it's actually the most common result, now that I've looked into it more! Everyone who switches to this way of eating has this result.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

So this primal way of eating discourages trans fats, but surely it must discriminate against hydrogenates too.

I assume there might be guidelines regarding fat mimetics and fat replacers too maybe.
Athene
REGULAR

Fat & Sugar

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:So this primal way of eating discourages trans fats, but surely it must discriminate against hydrogenates too.

I assume there might be guidelines regarding fat mimetics and fat replacers too maybe.
I don't know what fat mimetics are, but trans fat is not in any foods that primal eaters "are allowed" to eat, so it just doesn't factor in. No amount of trans fat is safe! Here's an article about high fat primal/paleo diet:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat ... z23YvlYNt2

I found one more article from the same spot about low-carb, high-protein, high-fat helping with diabetes prevention too, which is helpful context for our conversations about it:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb ... z23YvlYNt2
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Athene wrote:90 minutes "playing" tennis - first time, so brutally bad at it
i'm LOVE tennis. it's a pretty good workout! just takes practice! :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Fat mimetics are simply that. Designed to mimic fat. Mimic the taste, feel and the way in which the body responds to them, as if they were actual fat themselves, but I believe they are designed to have less or even none, of the arterial and subcutaneous side effects, associated with animal and chemical fats.
Athene
REGULAR

August 15, 2012

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:Fat mimetics are simply that. Designed to mimic fat. Mimic the taste, feel and the way in which the body responds to them, as if they were actual fat themselves, but I believe they are designed to have less or even none, of the arterial and subcutaneous side effects, associated with animal and chemical fats.
Ah, okay. You are so science-y ;)

I totally effed up neck playing tennis, it's so bad I couldn't move it! For 24 hours I was so scared that I broke something, because I've never had any neck pain/injuries before. So I went to the Sport Medicine Clinic yesterday and found out that it's okay - no fractures in spinal column, but the facets and muscle around some of vertebrae are really rigid, basically spasming, so I'm using lots of heat and stretching to ease up the pain and get full range of motion back. I really feel for anyone who has had a real neck injury - mine was nothing, but even it is giving me nausea and headaches.

Cheated on nutrition plan today. husband was going through the Drive Thru and I wussed out and joined in. Sigh. I sort of feel like I'm going on vacation and I'm going to have limited food and everything so.....so what? I'm going into hibernation and have to fatten up first? It's just a stupid excuse but that's the thought, there it is. Help me be stronger!

Lifestyle
Slept 8 hours
Biked 10k to work, got a ride home

Training
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull up, air squat, push up, sit up
Technique - Clean & Jerk, Split Jerk practice
WOD - Tabata intervals (8 sets 20 sec on 10 sec off) for each: Pull Ups, Push Ups, Sit Ups, Squats
Flexibility

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp cheddar, 2 cups coffee with cream
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 8 asparagus spears, 900 mg fish oil
5:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 8 asparagus spears, 900 mg fish oil
11:00 PM - 2 McChicken sandwiches, 1 reg Oreo McFlurry (seriously)
Athene
REGULAR

August 16, 2012

Post by Athene »

Cheated again! Oh man. I am making excuses like no tomorrow. "I basically am training three times today between the swim, bike, and CrossFit later... I have wanted blueberry pancakes with mpale syrup since epic cheat day at the end of challenge.... this is fine..." At some point it's kind of like, come on Karrie, live a little, it doesn't have to be so strict all the time, but I haven't been strict! I only have 9/15 no-cheat days this month, balls.

I am going to eat arm if I don't go eat something else soon. Will update later :P

Lifestyle
Slept 6 hours
Biked 10k to work (crazy wind, vigorous effort)

Training
Session #1 in Pool
50 m warm up
50 m x 8 freestyle sprints

Session #2
Warm Up - 500 m row, 3 sets 10 each: pull up, air squat, push up, sit up
WOD - 3 rounds, max reps for 1 min each: Row, Burpees, DB thrusters, 20" Box Jumps, DB Push Press, Rest
Flexibility

Nutrition
10:00 AM - 4 blueberry pancakes, 2 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup maple syrup, 4 strips side bacon, 3 cups coffee with cream
3:00 PM - 1 whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 8 asparagus spears, 900 mg fish oil
5:30 PM - 1 whey shake, 2 tbsp almond butter, 8 asparagus spears, 900 mg fish oil
Midnight - TBA
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

I feel your pain. I have given up on meal timing and being so strict. I keep a very close eye on calories and macro's on a WEEKLY basis. I had a big omelete at IHOP for lunch yesterday and cut snack and dinner down because of it. Doing it this way has helped me have that cheat meal with no regreats or feeling of failure. Because I look at it on a weekly basis I got plenty of time to make up for it through eating or increased cardio. I don't do anything drastic as that would only add to the problem but cutting an extra 200 cal/day for 4 days to make up for a cheat meal is easy. I also feel it confuses the body which seems to promote fat loss for me.

Once I started doing this I saw the results I wanted and feel like this is new lifestyle rather then a temporary "diet".

Not sure if that means anything to you but it is working wonders for me.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Thanks, Rich. It's nice to talk to people who go through the same stuff.

I don't count calories or care about calories, and I don't time meals very strictly. The thing I care about is the quality of the food I'm eating, which for me means no grains and no sugar (and by elimination, no processed food, junk food, etc.) I'm an emotional eater, so when things are stressful those are the things I want more than anything, and I guess I just have to learn to ride it out better. I loved the results that I earned by not cheating for that 4 week period recently, and I need to remember and chase the memory of that feeling.

I think you're right about not keeping things so strict all the time - it's easier to balance it as a lifestyle, and I need to shift gears into thinking about it as a lifelong journey, not a specific period of time. I'm not feeling badly about the pancakes, but I am feeling badly about everything else!
richs wrote:I had a big omelete at IHOP for lunch yesterday and cut snack and dinner down because of it.
A big omelet isn't a cheat! I find it really interesting how we all do the same thing in different ways, that's the most interesting thing about this place :)