BodyMedia and other gadgets

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

measuredme
STARTING OUT

BodyMedia and other gadgets

Post by measuredme »

We all know that the best way to get six pack and lose weight is to burn more calories than you consume. While most of us can estimate the caloric intake relatively accurately (by weighing ingredients, logging food, etc.), when it comes to caloric expenditure, most of the methods suck. The heart-rate monitors (HRM) are relatively good at estimating the caloric expenditure at the gym, but can't capture your calorie loss during the other times of the day (and you burn calories even when you sleep!). I started using Body Media a couple of months ago, and now able to log caloric balance (Calories Consumed - Calories Burned) every day with good accuracy. I was wondering if anyone else is using BodyMedia or other similar gadgets (FitBit comes to mind but it's not as accurate, i think) and what role it plays in your workout journals.

I am currently running a couple of self-experiments in diet and exercise, using Bodymedia tracker. For instance, I am comparing if I am burning more calories when doing a certain set of plyometric/isometric exercises vs. cardio vs. weigh-lifiting. Also trying to measure metabolism (by looking at how much calories per minute i burn while I sleep). You can do other neat tricks too with gadgets like that. Would love to hear if anybody else here does the same.

...[n=1]...
I am trying to quantify and gamify everyday life. Please follow experiment at http://www.measuredme.com