John Workout Journal Over 50

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitforfree
STARTING OUT

John Workout Journal Over 50

Post by fitforfree »

Hello All,

I am 54 and I am starting back to working out after a long layoff. I am on a 100 day quest right now to total fitness. I started off by walking about 5km every morning and next week I plan on going over to the gym that just opened down the street. I am retired and live in Mabalacat City in the Philippines.
I know from years in the military the importance of physical training to the health both mentally and physically. Welcome to journey. Comments
appreciated. :lol:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: John Workout Journal Over 50

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Good luck with the 100 day quest John! Phillipines is an interesting place to live. :) I've seen pictures and it looks very beautiful although i've also seen that there is a lot of poverty there as well. Good Luck!
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Good for you that you are dedicating yourself to getting fit! You're in the right place and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the amount of support you'll find here. It's been invaluable to me over the past 2 and a half years as I've lost around 55 lbs and gained more muscle definition than ever before. Good luck to you on this journey!
fitforfree
STARTING OUT

Post by fitforfree »

Checked out the fitness center down on the main road near the sm supermarket and it had a nice selection of free weights and machines, 2 ellipticals, 2 treadmills, and 2 bikes, a dance floor wooden for aerobics and other group led things. Price was a bit expensive by Filipino standards at 1000 pesos a month, but similar to USA prices $25.00 a month. Not air conditioned so need to watch out. I think I will sign up for next month and see how it goes. I need to start the weight training up next week. Today I will walk usual 5k around the cemetery. I know that sounds gothic but people use the cemetery like a running track around here. :roll:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Jogging through cemeteries. I'm surprised all that noise doesn't keep the dead awake :wink:.

Hopefully the month goes well for you. Good luck with that and don't stop believing. It's a hard road, but it's worth it and so are you :).
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

You have definitely come to the right place, you will get a ton of support from the amazing people on this site! Welcome :D
fitforfree
STARTING OUT

Post by fitforfree »

Started at this fitness center today lifting weights. Did mostly dumbell excercise after Mike showed me all the machines. Mike was one of the owners and a very fit looking fellow. We went to all the machines and he explained what each did. I worked out abs with the situp board, did curls for the biceps, triceps, and pulls on the machine. So much information for one day. It did feel good to get back after all this time. He asked me if I had a specific target or goal with working out and I said not yet. Just getting started is a big step for me. He was very patient with this old salt. He does have 4 certified trainers and 2 in training assisting him so I should be able to get some good advice on way to total fitness from them and with this forum, I think I am going to set a goal soon. Not sure what target is yet. Maybe 180, with a six pack abs would be cool. Never had a six pack, I am more of a 24 pack guy.
fitforfree
STARTING OUT

Post by fitforfree »

Today was Elliptical followed by Abs and leg machine. I am starting to feel really good about working out.
fitforfree
STARTING OUT

Post by fitforfree »

Today I did 45 minutes on the Elliptical, burned biceps and triceps with dumbells, and situps on the situp board. arms burn, abs of flab burn, and I am tired. Tomorrow is a rest day. Now if I can avoid the beer for the weekend that would be cool. :twisted: :roll:
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

fitforfree wrote:Today I did 45 minutes on the Elliptical, burned biceps and triceps with dumbells, and situps on the situp board. arms burn, abs of flab burn, and I am tired.
Awesome! Love the elliptical, it's one of favorite cardio gym workouts. Nothing better than that "tired" feeling after a workout, knowing you worked your body totally. Now you can enjoy your rest day, let your body heal and grow healthier because of your efforts. Good job! :mrgreen:
fitforfree
STARTING OUT

Post by fitforfree »

Wow, was it hot today. I was working out on the elliptical for 30 minutes and sweat was just pouring out of me. I did not have the energy to do more than 30 minutes. I did get in abs and arms before body said enough. I think I need to get up earlier to workout. Tomorrow, I think I will start with abs, arms, and legs on the machines and then finish with the elliptical, this way I can get all workout in even though it is hot.
fitforfree
STARTING OUT

Post by fitforfree »

Going on 3rd week of working out 6 days 1 off and I feel great! I got this circuit routine going. Start by loosening with arm circles, elbow curls, and some overhead extensions, then stretch out the hamstring and loosen up the ankles. Go grab the dumbells and do some curls, go to the leg machine and do some leg lifts, go over to the pull machine and yank a full stack (it is a new machine so the pulley is very easy) go to the elliptical do 30 minutes and finish off with abs.
I have done this the last 3 workouts and I seem to have more energy now. :lol:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Good to see it's working out for you :).
fitforfree
STARTING OUT

Post by fitforfree »

Raining all day today. Still got the routine going and it feels good. Just wish that big gut would go away. I guess it will take a lot of ab work to get rid of that flab. Today did normal routine stretch, dumbells, overhead pulls, elliptical, and abs. 8) Going into the holiday season and will keep this routine going. I am making life depend on it!