ReVamp ... As Suggested by the Bossman!

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

vamp
VETERAN

Re: ReVamp ... As Suggested by the Bossman!

Post by vamp »

So, I haven't had a lot of time to post but I am making the time now.

Had a leg day today and this is what I did....

Squats
135 x 5
205 x 5
230 x 5
250 5 x 5 (working weight)
275 x 5
295 x 5
315 x 4

Step Ups
6 blocks plus step pad
2 x 50 lb. dumb bells
2 x 10 Left leg starts
2 x 10 Right leg starts

Seated Calve Raise
240 lbs. 4 x 10

Light leg stretches.
Last edited by vamp on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Date 09/09/13 ... Scale 281.4 ... Waist 51.5 ... Hip 48.5
Date 12/30/13 ... Scale 262.6 ... Waist 45.75 ... Hip 45.75

Lost Inches (hips).... 2.75"
Lost Inches (waist)... 5.5 "
Lost lbs................ 18.8 lbs.

Well, I still got a way to go but definitely happy with the results thus far. I can't figure out how to paste pictures here so I can't show any before and after photos because I don't use any of those photo sites so I can enter a URL either.

initial goal still requires another 21.2 lbs. to lose and about another 5-12 inches around the waist. I wonder where I will get to by the end of next year or if goals shall adjust to other goals. I want to start deadlifts in January and keep squats moving up.... maybe even up to 400-450 lbs. squats by the end of next year. I would like bench press up to 300 by the end of next year for top end working weight (2-3 reps).

I have still been going strong without the cane although last week I came close to needing it as I had the Flu and balance was rough. I took 7 days off from the gym because of the flu and today was the first day back... I was a little "off" but as you can see from the post above this one, it was a decent squat day.

Cheers everyone and if I don't have the chance to get on here before tomorrow night,
Everyone have a Safe and Happy New Year!
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Happy New Year to you too Vamp, what a way to bring it in! Congratulations on all the positive changes you have made :shock: :D
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Great Job Chris. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You should be able to just use the upload photo facility on your account page and then you can use the URL created to link to pictures using the img tags.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Is there something unsafe about using those websites? I just use it for posting on this website not real name. Is there something I'm not aware of?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If you're referring to things like Photobucket, Picasa, Flickr etc, then there shouldn't be.

I've not heard of any security breaches on sites like that in the past few months.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Thanks Bossman, that makes sense!
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

OK... Jan 4, 2014.

First workout for the new year, cold came back and needed couple more days off to recover. So hoping that is the end of it!! ...

Squats...
135 x 5, 225 x 5, 255 5x5, 275 x 5, 295 x 5, 320 2 x 5

V - Squats...
feet together stance 180 x 5
wide stance 180 x 5
feet together stance 270 x 5

Hamstring Curl...
3 x 10 . leg
80, 85, 90 lbs.

Standing Block Toe Raise...
4 x 12 @ 270 lbs.

Side Bends...
3 x 10
45 lbs. each hand
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

hey vamp i was talking to sister who is in the medical field and she said there is a small chance you can get GBS from the flu shot. It's very rare though. She actually sometimes works with GBS patients. She is an OT. I hadn't heard of GBS until your story.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

You are correct Becky, GBS can be triggered by any virus and being that the flu shot is made up of various strains of the flu virus it has been traced to triggering the disease. Once you have had GBS it is recommended you do not have the flu shot ever again... regardless whether it was the shot that triggered it or not. GBS is actually listed under the conditions on the paperwork as "If you have had any of these you should not have the flu vaccination....".

They (the scientists) do not know exactly what causes GBS to occur. The do know that the chemical signature of the virus is so close the chemical signature of the myllon (sp.) sheath around the nerves that the antibodies our bodies create mistake the sheath as the virus and attack. The body then continues to produce and attack the sheath because of this mix up. As the sheath is destroyed on the nerves throughout the body, eventually signals can no longer travel through the nerves and you start losing bodily functions and control. This is why they use antibodies from healthy individuals to combat your "bad" antibodies until they are killed and your body then resumes making normal antibodies that do not attack the sheath. This is when a plateau happens and you digress no further. It takes on average, 1 month to repair 1 linear inch of myllon sheath around the nerves... that is not the full circumference of the nerve. Also, the body repairs in a "random" way. So it will repair a piece here on this nerve and then a piece over there and then somewhere else. The random attack of the nerves takes very little time for you to digress in health but for that same random regrowth it takes far longer to happen. The average recovery time from GBS is 2-3 years from the plateau point but there is not a guarantee you will ever recover fully. Many need pain medication for the rest of their lives or for much of it and some don't recovery full strength or bodily funtions or balance or what have you.

So far I am on track for a good recovery in the 2 year time frame but I still have small bouts of fatigue and a lot of nerve pain. Strength is almost 100% back to where I was before GBS and balance and flexibility is at about 65-75 %. Endurance is increasing also. I hope to return to work but am looking for other income options now as disability coverage comes to an end in May. We shall see what happens over the next few months.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

vamp wrote:o far I am on track for a good recovery in the 2 year time frame but I still have small bouts of fatigue and a lot of nerve pain. Strength is almost 100% back to where I was before GBS and balance and flexibility is at about 65-75 %. Endurance is increasing also. I hope to return to work but am looking for other income options now as disability coverage comes to an end in May. We shall see what happens over the next few months.
Well i think you are very motivated and doing really well. To bad you couldn't reapply for disability or something. It doesn't seem like they gave you enough time. See what happens. It will work out. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Myelin that surrounds the nerves is created using cholesterol and when it is degraded by medical conditions / diseases, it is referred to as -myelination and I believe conditions with the capability to degrade myelin are called leukodystrophys.

However I admit to not knowing the mechanics of how the body uses cholestrerol to make myelin, but by default myelin is then a lipid just like the fats in coconut oil, the fat surround the organs and in the subcutaneous layer and all other fats.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Bossman, from what I remember Neurologist saying, Myelin is also Made up of Proteins. The only way to determine the GBS condition 100% is through a spinal tap and conducting a protein count of the spinal fluid. As the Myelin sheath breaks down, the excess proteins from the breakdown are carried to the spinal fluid. The higher the count, the higher the problem. The normal count for any healthy individual is 200 per IU. When they did mine, I was at 1800 IU. This Test, from understanding, is used for most Neurological diseases in the category of GBS.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Okay this cold is still here... feel good, feel crappy. Back and forth. When I am crappy I can't work out and when I am good I try and then hit a wall. Feeling alright now and aiming for after dinner. Soooo hope I stay on the good side!

I hope everyone else is doing better with their beginning to the year.... I have gained 3 pounds in the first week of January from lack of exercise and the x-mas goodies still in the house.