ReVamp ... As Suggested by the Bossman!

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

vamp
VETERAN

ReVamp ... As Suggested by the Bossman!

Post by vamp »

First off, I suck at sticking to diaries but I keep trying. When I do write, I can be long winded although detailed. Please comment, criticize, question.... hell, laugh :D Thanks for your time if you read, and all your inputs, positive or negative. Everything we are is made up from everything we experience. Maybe this will help you, a friend, me, friend, heck anyone!

The Past Tells a Story....

Well, couple years past I frequented this jolly place but health took a nose dive.... Guillain–Barré syndrome (GBS). For those that don't know what it is, don't feel bad, I knew nothing of it when I was told I have it. Only about 1:100,000 people get it, although not rare, it's not common and difficult for doctors to diagnose given symptoms match so many other things and they themselves have not heard of it.... 20-30 years ago, people died from this. The latest treatment has only been in Canada for 10-12 years.

So, there I was, Jan 2012, just got over a small cold, while everyone around me was taking 2-3 days sick leave with massive flu symptoms. Wow, I thought, I got off lucky. But........ It started with pins and needles and sleepy feeling in hands and feet for about a week, honestly thought little of it.... until Sunday evening through night shift. I got weaker and more tired and more total body pain throughout the shift... I had trouble walking from the plant to car. That morning I saw the daughter of to school and straight to the clinic.... Its just a virus, go home and rest, you'll be fine. The next day more pain and still weak and exhausted, 10 hours of sleep felt like nothing, I went to the hospital emergency, its just a virus, go home and rest, you'll be fine in a few days. The following day the same thing, I rested. Thursday, the back pain increases and ability to walk is further decline, with shortness of breath and fatigue. I went and saw chiropractor thinking perhaps a pinched nerve, adjustment and come see him again tomorrow... we'll see what happens but I am not sure, he says. Friday, I walk in in the same condition... without skipping a beat he says, there is nothing wrong with you that I can help, go back to the walk in and don't leave till you get answers... So, I cross the road to the clinic where the nurse tried to turn me away, remembering I was in Monday, the pain and fatigue take its toll and I am in tears asking to see the doc, perhaps the one on today can help me. Feeling sorry for me she slips me in. The doc hears story and does some reflex and balance tests... as soon as I close eyes with feet together I collapse. He says, there is definitely something wrong that does not appear viral, I don't know what it is, go back to the hospital and don't leave until you get answers. I drove to the hospital and sat in emergency for about 3 hours before seeing a doctor. I tell him week, he performs the same balance and reflex tests and tells me to wait a minute. Coming back he asks me to walk while a nurse watches and then performs basic reflex and strength tests on me.... its almost 5pm.... She says, well Chris, I am the head nurse from neurology and we will be admitting you, you will be up in neurology the moment a bed is available... But later this evening you have one more test that will verify without a doubt that you have GBS (Guillain–Barré syndrome). The doctors will come see you in the admitting emergency wing for those waiting for beds in the departments they need.

Well now that they suspect something questions start, GBS is a disease that anyone in the world regardless of , age, health, or race can get. essentially what happens is the body's immune system becomes confused between the chemical signature of a virus it is combating and your own nerve, myelin sheath. You start getting better but then start feeling much worse quickly. Your body immune system continues to attack your entire nervous system because it still sense the "enemy" chemical signature. Think of a row of jelly beans as the sheath around the nerves, if you take a jelly bean out anywhere along the chain the signal can still jump the space, even if you take every other one out, but the signal slows and becomes staticy like a lose sterio wire. But, take 2 out in a row and that signal is blocked. Imagine this happening all over the body. Breathing, swallowing, walking, picking up a glass, sitting up, rolling over.... everything becomes more difficult, and then impossible as your body destroys its own ability to function. Many people end up on life support and feeding tubes, go blind, deaf, and essentially paralyzed. Needless to say, it was more terrifying than the final test that evening, a spinal tap. The do a count on the proteins within the spinal fluid. Normal is about 200 for any given person... mine..... 1,800. Proof, I had the disease... Recovery prognosis, 2-3 years depending on how much further I decline.

The medicine, 5 days of 1 hour treatments of drip through IV of other people's good antibodies to combat own and bed rest. Did I mention I hate needles despite tattoos! IV is worse. So the following day I settled into room that I shared with one other person, bathroom trips to be accompanied by nurse to assist with walking.... Sunday night around 8 or 9 pm as I was being assisted, 2 steps from the bed and I dropped like a rock. I could no longer walk. From their breathing became shallow and talking was labored. It took me minutes not seconds to roll on side in bed and I had to grasp the edge with hands to pull myself over. I could not manage putting on socks or underwear, shorts and a tee were hard enough and required assistance. Blood tests daily, respiratory checks 3-4 times a day and a hear monitor... I needed someone to assist me wipe butt, pull up and down pants, was showered almost like I was a baby, I couldn't do it. I was visited daily by staff showing me assisting devices and new ways to do basic tasks. About a week and a half later the doctor came and said, I believe you have plateaued so we shall start your road to recovery and normal life.... great I can go home.... NO.

A week after that conversation I entered a new hospital, a therapeutic hospital to help me learn to adapt and rebuild. Physiotherapy everyday except sat and sun, and other therapy classes as well. I couldn't even hold a book to read it, needed a wheel chair to move about and help getting in and out of it.

I can almost boast, that despite the trials and hardships I tended to stay in a positive mood. I was told I would get better and 90 + % chance of 100% recovery. I knew it was just time, and day to day grind. I joked and laughed. Made light of situation and worked towards set goals. I only have had to this day very few break downs from frustration and self pity. They were short but far from sweet and I moved on. I used a wheel chair for 11 months, followed by a walker and forearm crutches. I am currently using a cane for outside travel and while in the gym. At home I do not use it. Flat and familiar terrain I can do with almost ease. 4 weeks ago physiotherapist gave me leave to return to the gym given that she "does not need to babysit someone so knowledgeable in gym equipment and weight training, she is now a source if needed and will be there to help test me and answer question". so 3 weeks ago I began gym journey and last week I set a weight goal to drop to. I gained so much doing so little.

The goal is simple, 50 pounds, add some muscle, lose the cane and finally return to the work force by May 2014 before I lose work disability. Is it a challenge? Yes!! Can it be done? Hell Yes!! Is it worth it? There is no doubt!!

So there is story, the rest of the 2 1/2 months of trial a and achievements through hospital stay are water under the bridge. Yes I was found to be diabetic but 1 1/2 years later I am not... it was found to be a side effect of the GBS. I was also diagnosed with sleep apnea which I use a CPAP for and also diagnosed with High Blood Pressure which I take 10 mg of Ramipril for. With the high blood pressure they also find me having high cholesterol, surprise :wink: . I told the doc when I was leaving the hospital, I entered at 37 and I am leaving at 65 in just 3 months!

I am now 39, still young and still don't want to grow up! I am a Toys R Us kid!

3 weeks ago when I entered the Goodlife Fitness Centre, I paused after coming through the doors, took a deep breath of the gym smell, I felt the vibe, and thought....

I"VE COME HOME, LET'S BEGIN!
Last edited by vamp on Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Recap

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Thanks for coming back and telling your story Vamp. Sounds like hell but you came out of it with a great attitude and perseverance! Congrats on battling your illness. definitely something to be admired for. :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Man that is one seriously difficult set of circumstances to go through, but the one thing you've done is to never stop believing in yourself and your own self worth.

You have not let the disease rob you of the kind of future you now have, because you have not let the disease control your mind in the end, because in the end you walked into that gym and you walked back out again some time later a WINNER.

You won and you're a human success story, because that piece of crap disease did not get one over on you. You believed right the way through and rather than accept what was happening to you, or indeed how you'd become, you remembered your own value and how much you're worth and you remembered that strong active guy you used to be and you held on to the belief you can one day be that guy again and you know what man, you damn well can and I know that's an almost certainty, because you're built of a serious amount of instestinal fortitude and you can achieve this if you want it badly enough, which I know you will.

I am really proud of you man, because you're top guy and a first rate human being and WELL DONE for not becoming a person, who thought the kind of things you went through were what you had to settle for, because it wasn't and isn't and you are worth more and deserve more and I am sure you're going to make what you want to happen happen.

So you have every right to walk tall, feel proud and give that pesky cane the evil eye, because one day soon that thing will be firewood and you'll be closer to the sort of guy you deserve to be, because you're a long time gone fella and it's good to see you back again and the community over the coming months will pull together at various times and back you all the way to your goals :).

Keep the fire burning and keep believing big man, because you ARE worth this and you DO deserve what you WILL achieve.

Perhaps you should call yourself ReVamp from now on :wink:
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

ReVamp.... I like it, lol!

Thanks Bossman and musculArgirl2

Forgot to tell everyone that during the course of this I also had vision problems... extreme light sensitivity and difficulty focusing.... I could not drive own car and relied on others to take me to appointments and physiotherapy. for the first couple of weeks after coming home, I woke around 9, napped for couple hours around noonish and was unable to go to bed but slept on the couch around 8 at night. The naps are gone but fatigue still swoops in and sends me to bed after only being up for 10-12 hours... occasionally I sneak in an 2 hour nap if needed.

During time off work, besides just healing I have honed cooking and baking skills.... I have learned to make pasta by hand, bread by hand, own deep dish pizza (yes even the crust is from scratch), flat breads, homemade yogurt, I finally learned to make a decent pie crust.... a struggle I have had for a couple of decades!, I have even made quiche (so simple... especially being able to make the crust!!), I have even dabbled in glutton free breads! I have put restriction of movement to use by researching how to do the foods I have always wanted to do and perfecting them so it has become second nature.... I am proud to say that pizza night around the house means home made because non of us like the taste of delivery any more! The other day I made a bread with avocado, tomato, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning... a decent loaf bread but the pizza crust was amazing and so were the flat breads (about thickness of a pita bread) I made to make a pulled pork wrap with fresh tomato, green pepper, onion, mozzarella cheese and sour cream.... wow!

I learned quickly I hate laying around doing nothing, this was savior and part of weight gain :oops:

Tomorrow I am going to post what I have been doing for the past couple weeks. I use a daily log of exercise in a small notebook to record what I have done and plan to do each day.
vamp
VETERAN

Re: ReVamp ... As Suggested by the Bossman!

Post by vamp »

So... what have I been doing at the gym on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

3x A Week

Treadmill 15 min. set speed for 10 sessions while increasing the incline by .5 every session, after the 10th increase the speed by .1 and go through inclines again for 10 sessions

Seated Cable Row 4x10 increase reps for 10 workouts then increase weight
Front Pull Down 3x10 increase reps for 10 workouts then increase weight
Lifefit Chest Press 3x10 increase weight each workout
Hammer Chest Press 3x10 increase reps for 10 workouts then increase weight
Tricep Press Down 5x5 increase reps for 10 workouts then increase weight
Ab Cable Bend Over 4x10 increase reps for 10 workouts then increase weight
Shrugs 3x10 increase reps for 10 workouts then increase weight
Concentration Curls 3x10 increase reps for 10 workouts then increase weight

Treadmill 15 min. set speed for 10 sessions while increasing the incline by .5 every session, after the 10th increase the speed by .1 and go through inclines again for 10 sessions

Keep in mind, floor work is too difficult to get down and up from and ab, lower back machines and incline benches to difficult to get in and out off, I have a 20 year old shoulder injury I am working around on dominate side.
The workout varies between 1.5 and 2 hours depending on how fatigued I am or get. Free weight barbells are to difficult to switch out plates and balance while standing. The workout, although meant to help regain some strengths, it is also meant to create endurance working through various activities to "mimic multiple activities in the workforce".

Off Days

On Tuesday, Thursday (sometimes Saturday) and Sunday I walk outside with a cane to practice pace, speed, balance and endurance. This week I am aiming for 6 days of outdoor walking (weather permitting). Last night was longest walk yet at 44 min 22 sec.... today's job is to clock several distances so I will know how many Km I am walking and the pace speed I am keeping.

I am hoping that in October I will start doing strength training on legs on Tuesday and Thursday which will help with balance and flexibility.

Chris
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

so Monday, after such a great workout during the day I was feeling awesome that evening so went for a 2.6 Km walk in 44.22 minutes.... Farthest I have gone yet and not to shabby a time for an overweight guy on a cane, lol. Unfortunately I paid for it with fatigue on Tuesday and never went for scheduled walk..... I chalked it up to a lesson learned and day off for the week, although unplanned. Wednesday in the gym went well and instead of increasing by one rep each exercise I managed 2 reps (every set) Do to equipment availability, I tried flat bench (only 125 lbs for 3x10) but with the muscle atrophy I suffered from illness I have no choice but to accept it. It was a small struggle to get up from the prone position but I did manage. Flat bench replaced hammer chest press in workout.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Wow, you should be so proud of yourself for overcoming so many obstacles, a lot of people would have just given up. Kudos to you :D

And welcome to the site (or welcome back I guess!) :D
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Thank you Feelin-great!! 8)
ArtzyJen
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by ArtzyJen »

Just read all of your story. Many ((Hugs)) to you. That is a really rough set of circumstances to come through with a good attitude, and it's obvious you're doing so! Congrats on being able to get back to the gym! I hope you continue making huge strides in progress and meet your goal of being able to re-enter the work force.
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Thanks ArtzyJen.

Last night was a walk night.... 3 km walk, 47.27 min (still use cane). Half way is the distance to local gym I use, as I get more distance under belt, it would be cool to have walk there as warm up and the walk home as the cool down... we'll see, winter is coming which makes walking conditions less than ideal so I have a lot of work to do. Today is gym day though, so big smiles!!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

vamp wrote:Last night was a walk night.... 3 km walk, 47.27 min (still use cane). Half way is the distance to local gym I use, as I get more distance under belt, it would be cool to have walk there as warm up and the walk home as the cool down... we'll see, winter is coming which makes walking conditions less than ideal so I have a lot of work to do. Today is gym day though, so big smiles!!
Keep it up! your really are motivational with all you have been through and the positive attitude that you have and your motivation. :)
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Thank you musculArgirl2
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

Well even though I feel the symptoms of a cold and it is misty rain out, I managed walk tonight.. 49:30 minutes (with cane)... Just over 3km but not sure of exact amount.

I also came to the realization that I am better balanced without shoes than with shoes again...... not sure if it is normal but I have gone back and forth since this happened due to over sensitive nerves in feet and balance issues. Did not present an issue on the walk but it makes me shake head with a smirk at how the little things so often catch our attention at the oddest times :!:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Great Job Chris! if you have a cell phone chris you might be able to download a running app that can keep track of your mileage on gps? I know Lynne, Jocelyn and I use runkeeper.

Keep it up!
vamp
VETERAN

Post by vamp »

musculArgirls2, I will have to look at that, thanks for the suggestion!!!

Update... just downloaded on phone and I will try it out for tonight's walk (weather permitting!)

Chris