Community feedback on start-up idea. Good or Bad idea?

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

AlexGoette
STARTING OUT

Community feedback on start-up idea. Good or Bad idea?

Post by AlexGoette »

Hey everybody. Was hoping you guys would be kind enough give me some quick feedback on a start-up idea. This is first post, so I hope this isn't interpreted as being spammy. Just really interested in getting some feedback on some fitness related technology I'm working hard on building. Thanks!

Summary:

We are building an automated workout tracking app. You go to the gym and our app, combined with sensor technology through out the gym will automatically track what you do: specific exercise, amount of weight, and number of reps. If you so choose you can use our analytics of your workouts to keep track of your progress, monitor trends, and see where you are improving and also see areas where you might be plateauing. If you need help interpreting this data we can prescribe tips, workout suggestions and even prescribe entire workouts to get you to your fitness goals.

How it all works:

1. You go to the gym and check out a tracking device from the front desk.

2. You clip the tracking device to your waistband, collar or simply slip into your pocket to carry around while you workout.

3. At each workout station, you will tap a sensor on the machine with the tracking device to identify the exercise being done. Then you will tap the device on the weights to identify how much weight you're lifting.

For example:

- If you are using the bench press you will tap the weights on the bar.

- Or tap dumbbells before performing curls

- On machines you will tap the tracking device to the specific plate you are using.

5. Return tracking device to the front desk of the gym.

6. Review your workout on your smart phone or web browser. In some cases, the system may ask you for feedback to confirm the exercises and weights in your workout.

7. Use all this new data to get better results!

NOW, this is the watered down version. Our goal is to make all tracking automated. You go to the gym and all pertinent data is automatically recorded for you. Sent straight from the sensor to your phone via bluetooth.

I have a google form here that I would be thrilled for any of you to fill out, or if you want to just give feedback in comments thats great as well. The most important questions now are:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1oBEYfr ... I/viewform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1. Good idea or Bad? Would you use this? What would you be willing to pay per month to use if your local gym offered this service ($5, $10)?
2. How important to you is it that this be completely automated? Or would the watered down version be sufficient?
3. How important is sensor size to your desire to use this product? If it was the size of your phone and fit in your pocket would you use this? Would it need to be smaller (or bigger)?

Thats it. Thanks!
vamp
VETERAN

Re: Community feedback on start-up idea. Good or Bad idea?

Post by vamp »

Interesting idea but wouldn't it be more improved to have an app on your phone that is compatible to all these sensors you want to install in all the equipment, less expensive than renting a device and the upkeep and repair of that device. Also, less overhead and repair requirements for your company...

Really though, all these sensors you install, the end cost would be added to the memberships of the patrons whether they want the program or not, and if the electronics fail, the cost of upkeep and repairs are absorbed into membership fees and wage freezes to employees. The system sounds great to start but in the end it is just more of the gym patrons dollars you are stealing away for the sake of using digital in a physical environment. Weights, bars, benches and machines take a literal beating in the gym environment... technology of the electronic sort you are speaking of will not last a quarter of the lifespan of the equipment itself. The design is nothing more than a money making scheme in the guise of "better for the customer".

Sorry, but that is how I see it...