Getting myself into shape..

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bluesnowman
STARTING OUT

Getting myself into shape..

Post by bluesnowman »

I'm not totally sure where to post this (so many different subforums...lol) so forgive me if this is the wrong place to post, but I'd like to introduce myself. name is Shan, and I joined this website a little while ago until I forgot about it completely and then found it again. Basically the reason why I joined shapefit is because I want get myself back into shape. A Little background: When I was in High School, I played football from Freshman till Junior year, where in the last game of the year (I was a LB) I basically caused a fumble and went after it, but in the ensuing pile, I somehow broke leg (apparently someone's helmet hit leg pretty hard, causing it to break.) And forcing me to miss the rest of the season. After that, a few months later one of best friends died in a car accident and I started becoming depressed (he was like brother, and when he died...something instead of me was gone) I had lost motivation, confidence, and worst of all I couldn't play with the rest of team (still had the broken leg). I then soon started binge eating, not caring what happened to body anymore. In the meantime, leg had recovered and I was okay, but things were getting worse. I had gone through a rough break-up at the time, and I stopped exercising and just became lazier and more agitated...and well things hit rock bottom for me. But, also I realized what I wanted to do with life, and that was to become a State Trooper, or Highway Patrol Officer (whatever term you prefer.) So now, I'm here because I want to get into shape and have the career I want, and to be happy again, and have confidence back. I currently am a student at local community college, and I also work as an office assistant/bookkeeper. Basically job is all day and I come home around 430-5 and am tired and don't do much. So what I need help is to start from scratch and basically anything would help: from what I should eat, to an exercise routine, to running, I'm open to any suggestions or ideas. I'm the type of person that never, ever, gives up until I can't handle it any longer and I'm more motivated then ever to be in shape, so please, any advice or just even how to start would be great, and I will be forever grateful.

Again, thank you for reading and If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I'll be as honest as I can and I'm willing to do whatever I can just so I can have old life back. (Oh, and If this is the wrong place, could this be moved to the right board? Thank you!)

Thanks,
Shan...a.k.a. bluesnowman
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Getting myself into shape..

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Shan, good to speak with you :).

I'd like to begin by telling you that I am proud of you for talking about the difficult things you have gone through, as I appreciate that can't have been easy and you should be extremely proud of yourself for being brave enough, to admit that you needed to change and that you couldn't carry on as you were.

I'd lik to ask a few things first of all ot ascertain your current circumstances.

What times do you eat and what foods do you eat at thsoe times?

Are you able to have access to a gym, or would you be looking for some kind of workout(s), that would be home based and / or external?
bluesnowman
STARTING OUT

Post by bluesnowman »

Hello Bossman,

Nice to meet you as well!

Thank you. It definitely wasn't easy, but what made me change is when right before I went through that break-up was when ex asked me What happened to the happy, confident guy that I became best friends with? I didn't know how to answer, and it was a low point. best friend and I did everything together, from learning how to ride bikes, to playing soccer together to do doing a lot together when we were kids. He died when he was coming from a birthday at his cousin's and was hit by a wrong-way driver (at the last moment, his sister was with him, and he turned the car his way taking the impact.) From then on, I made it a mission to do something with life to prevent a tragedy like this (at least what I can do) from happening to one of loved ones, which is what brought me here. I need the change because I want to be happy like I once was, when everything was good and out of this pit of darkness that has consumed me over the last couple of years or so. I don't talk to many of friends anymore because of what's happened and the things that have haunted me (the things that you see sometimes can be tough...and it feels like nobody else knows what happened). But now, I've decided to change life and become what I was once and I need the change because I don't want to carry on like this. If I am fortunate enough to be married and have kids, I want to be around for them...and I can't do it the way I'm doing things now and the habits that I have now.

Sure, routine usually starts like this: In the morning, I wake up to pray and lately it has been around 530-540 in the morning. Then, I brush teeth and take a shower, and wake up younger brother. I get him dressed and take him to school. Then, I come home and have breakfast. I typically have one or two pieces of Wheat toast ( I put strawberry Jame on there, sometimes PB, or sometimes Jam and Butter...or honey) and usually have a glass of milk or glass of Orange Juice and yo-plait yogurt. Then I head off to work. At work, the closest thing is a Denny's and typically that is where I eat lunch when I'm at work. It just depends to be honest, and that's what I order. If I feel hungry when I come home, usually there are a few snacks (I.E. Chips Ahoy cookies, Pringles, Lays..) and I munch on those (Before I used to avoid these things like the plague...last few years or so it has become a snack...lol.) At night, I usually have home cooked food-Typically White rice with lentils, or chicken or whatever mom makes. At least a few times a week I have Fast Food, whether it be Subway, Panda Express, Del Taco etc. That's usually it, oh and sometimes at work I head to the local donut shop ( a yum yum's and purchase a donut or two.) This is mostly what I have been eating. I used to drink Soda, and energy drinks but I've cut all that out.

I do have access to a gym (LA Fitness) that I try to go to, but at the end of the day, I'm just so tired that I don't even go. Basically anything. I was able to meet a recruiter at a local job fair and she did say that if you do make it to the academy, there is a lot of calisthenic exercises. But really anything to be honest, I need some type of routine so I would be able to follow it everyday. I never believe in giving up until I've exhausted every option, so I'm willing to do what it takes to have the body I once had, and to be a better and more confident version that I want to see myself be.

Thanks again Bossman!

P.S. I hope I wasn't too overly detailed..
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

There are plenty of foods you can choose from that make up partial or complete snacks, that you could have between main meals.

Things like beef, turkey, chicken or ham from a packet, microwaved soups, baked beans and soups, vegetables like celery sticks, carrot sticks, lettuce and pineapple, fruits including tomato and cucumber, nuts, peanuts, pre-boiled eggs, low fat cheese, low suger yoghurt, flaxseeds, oat granolas, wholegrain bread and sandwiches.

So you've got plenty of options there, without resorting to other stuff like you mentioned.

As for a workout doing something at home 3 days a week would be good, so something like this should work for you.

Squats, 2 sets 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets 10 reps

Good mornings, 2 sets 10 reps

Pushups, 2 sets 10 reps

Bent over rows, 2 sets 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets 10 reps

Planks 30-45 seconds.

You can do that with just your own bodyweight and do it 3x a week every other day.
bluesnowman
STARTING OUT

Post by bluesnowman »

This sounds like some good stuff to eat instead of all that junk. What do you recommend to eat during the main 3 meal (Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner?) As far as snacking I like Bananas, peanuts, and granola bars.

Forgive me, but what are Good Mornings and shrugs? They sound familiar but I can't remember what they are... I will most definitely do it 3x a week. Do you also recommend running at this point, or is it just something I should start doing later?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would suggest for now that you do the bodyweighted stuff and focus a bit more on the diet. Cardio can be added in in a few weeks.

Shrugs, are basically just using the deltoid muscles in the shoulders to effectively pull both arms up, so the muscles are working with the weight in the upper and forearms, with arms staying straight the whole time.

As for good mornings, you're putting the tips of your fingers against your temples, then bending from the waist until you're as close to 90 degrees as you can get, then straightening up up again.

The legs remain straight all the time you do the reps, hence the name good mornings, because it looks a bit like you're bowing or addressing someone.