Michelle's workout Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

mlblair502
STARTING OUT

Michelle's workout Journal

Post by mlblair502 »

Hi Y'all! I just joined the forum today... I've been looking for a place to chat and get advice from other's looking to get in shape! :D

Following is current workout schedule - I've been on this schedule since mid March 2014. Looking to make tweaks to increase muscle, decrease fat, improve stamina and strength. I've gotten some decent results so far but can always improve!

Sunday
Rest day (house chore day)

Monday
4:45 AM - Gym. Generally a cardio workout. 30 mins stair stepper, 15 min rowing machine and the fastest mile I can possibly run. I've just made it down to 8:31 a mile (can only do for 1 mile though!) I usually run it at an incline of 3% at 6.8 to start and gradually work way to -1% lowering each 1/4 mile while increasing speed to end between 7.8 - 8.2. I vary this workout at times depending on how I am feeling. I may add some walking at an incline or switch up intensity and length of each exercise.
4:45 PM - 1.5 - 3.5 miles outside at a local park, followed by a 1 hour long boot-camp fitness class

Tuesday
5:15 AM - Gym. Barbell group fitness class
5:00 PM - Longer run outside at park - 3.0 - 4.5 miles at around 9:40 mile. Working on speed and distance - slowly (when I started endeavors I was running at close to 12:00 a mile!)

Wednesday
4:45 AM - Gym. Weight lifting, generally focusing on upper body. Arms, shoulders and back. I do a few sets of leg presses but that is it as far as legs go. We do so much leg work in boot-camp and barbell class I haven't added any extra "leg day" workouts.
4:45 PM - 1.5 - 3.5 miles outside at a local park, followed by a 1 hour long boot-camp fitness class

Thursday
5:00 PM - Long run day at the park. 3.0 - 4.5 miles. Sometimes I will do a little mini boot-camp on own and just do a short WOD. Just depends on how I am feeling. I've considered skipping the run and making this another rest day...

Friday
4:45 AM - Gym. Another cardio day. Nothing set in stone. I just decide when I get there. Today was 40 mins on the stair stepper then extra stretching.

Saturday
7:30 AM - 1.5 - 3.5 miles outside at a local park, followed by a 1 hour long boot-camp fitness class

Now that summer is here we can add in some swimming with the family and friends on weekends. :D Every now and again I will meet a friend at the gym during some "off" hours as well (or if the weather doesn't permit the boot-camp class I'll go to gym instead.)

I really need help tweaking diet. I have been on a 80% paleo diet for 1-1/2 years and think it is time to add in more carbs with all this working out. I think the low carbs are preventing me from converting the fat into muscle! Seems to be hanging on even though I am working butt off (literally! haha). The boot-camp class measures, weighs and does body fat% at the beginning of every month on the day we have our fitness evaluation. The numbers are slowly changing but it doesn't seem fast enough for all I am doing!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Michelle's workout Journal

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there Michelle, it's really good to talk with you.

I'd post some more, but I'm getting some kind of issue that is limiting what I post, so I'll post more when I hopefully have it resolved, but I just wanted to touch base for now :).
mlblair502
STARTING OUT

Post by mlblair502 »

I thought I would detail each days workout:

This morning at the gym I just wasn't "feeling" it and just spent entire workout on the stair stepper. Completed 3 miles in 38 mins (level 6 - and I rotate between front, each side and walking backwards) and then ended with some stretching. right hamstring has been a little tight after the leg press on Wednesday.

This evening I ran 1.3 miles (again, not really feeling it today!) then we had our boot-camp class:

400 meter warm up run

20 mins repeat set as many times as possible:
60 high knees (30 each leg)
30 push ups (I always do as many regular then finish with knee - getting better and able to do more and more regular each time :D )
15 burpees
200 meter run

I was able to complete 5 rounds

Second set was 4o seconds (each exercise) on 10 seconds off and we repeated twice:
Left plank
Regular plank
Right plank

Leg holds
Leg lift
Raised leg crunches

Bicycle crunches
Ankle taps
Crossbody mountain climbers

We finished off with 40 seconds swinging rope exercise, another 400 meter run and always end with stretching. Tomorrow morning I will hit the park at 7:00ish for a longer run then boot-camp is at 8:30am. I'll update with that workout as well. It's always something different at boot-camp so it's a lot of fun! :D

I'm thinking of starting a diet journal too. Today was a little easier to eat a few more carbs but I have to force them down!! I know I need them with all the workouts but you get into a mindset about what you need to do to lose fat and it is hard to change!
Last edited by mlblair502 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mlblair502
STARTING OUT

Post by mlblair502 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi there Michelle, it's really good to talk with you.

I'd post some more, but I'm getting some kind of issue that is limiting what I post, so I'll post more when I hopefully have it resolved, but I just wanted to touch base for now :).

Hi Boss Man! Thanks for the note... :D Great website, I look forward to participating! A great tool in helping to keep on track!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there Michelle. Finally I am able ot post what I wanted :).

Is where you live called Humble, because that's what everyone is like :tongue:.

Firstly I'd like to say great job on the type of goals you're aiming for. I absolutely support female strength, as I think it's every females right to be strong and in many cases it accentuates a females beauty and can develop an artistic appearance to someones aesthetics, so I like what your motivation is :).

Fat doesn't turn into muscle per se, as they are two separate things, but added muscle can burn an extra 45-50 calories per day for every 1lb extra you gain, so it is beneficial.

I would heed a small note of caution though, that being that you might be wise to take out the Thursday day, as I think you're doing a little too much in the week. Have a couple of days off and don't feel too proud to do it, because it could be a great boon to have that second off day and as you won't be taking it right after or before another, then you won't be training for five days on the spin, so split rest days would be a more proactive way to look at things I think.

In relation to your macro intake, I reckon you could go with 3 different options, which might look like this.

Protein / carbs / fat, 40/30/30, 33/33/33, 35/30/35.

So there's a few options for you.

I'll take this chance to also wish you GOOD LUCK, as you seem like a terrific person and a true Lady and I feel proud of you for your goals and wants and you should be too and whatever additional help or support we can give you, we will try and I can be here for people to talk to privately on a one to one basis, if there are any sensitive and personal issues they're going through, as the key to good physical progress is the symbiosis between mind, body and emotions and we are here to support people as best as we think we can, in all aspects of their well being, but it is good to have you around and I am looking forward to seeing how you progress, so chin up, be strong and remember that you ARE worth it and I hope in the coming months you can get stronger and fitter and feel great and you look great as well, you've got a really warm, touching smile, if that''s not too forward of me, but I hope this works out for you :).

:thumb: :thumb:
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Welcome to the board Michelle! You sound like a workout queen!!

How long have you been on a Paleo diet?
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

How have your workouts been treating you?