bike tours, 5k's and such

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fat-to-fit
REGULAR

bike tours, 5k's and such

Post by fat-to-fit »

I'm going to just do a journal of tours and 5ks i do this summer. I won't be posting daily or daily workouts. This month i have the bike tour tomorrow which is 36 miles in 95 degree heat and in 2 weeks i have first 5k. each month each 5k i will be increasing by 30 second running intervals so by November's 5k i will hopefully be running the whole thing. In the mean time i am strengthening feet exercises and wearing orthotics when barefoot to help feet. In the process i hope to lose weight too.

the bike tour tomorrow main concerns are water and the port a pottie. it's 95 tomorrow and i only have one cage for a water bottle there is only one stop at mile 18. they are country roads i'm just not sure one water bottle is going to be enough for me for 18 more miles when its getting so warm. i don't know if i will come across a gas station or not along the way.

port a potties are another concern. port a pottie in 95 degree heat with other bikers will probably not be pretty. i gag REALLY easy. If i wanted to be a bulemic it would not be hard. I have resigned myself to the face that i am going to throw up at mile 18. I'm excited though anyways. :)
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Re: bike tours, 5k's and such

Post by whenlifewassimpler »

Wishing you the best with your tours and sounds like a boatload of fun.....I will be cheering you on for each one....Sue
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

Good luck tomorrow, Bekah! It would probably be helpful if you could carry more fluids though with that heat. Do you have an old fanny pack or a small backpack you could wear, and stash a few juice pouches or an extra water bottle?
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

I bought a water pack for back. thanks mo. Your right one water bottle is not enough. 36 miles wouldn't be that hard at a thinner weight but i'm basically carrying an extra person practically. It's 95 and windy tomorrow.

I actually want to do an ironman. It's been a dream of mine for a long time. foot is the biggest concern. and of course weight. I would like to do the Panama CIty Ironman it's held in the beginning of Nov each year. I'm familiar with the city although swimming in the ocean when never having trained in the ocean might be a bit scary.

I've biked close to 100 miles granted that was many years ago, swam i'm not sure how long but maybe 1.5 miles and ran marathons too. again many years ago except for the swimming. So i hopefully can put it all together. Not this year though but maybe next year. :) I'm thinking for winter of buying a bike trainer that holds your bike in place so you can bike on your road bike. road bike is really old but it will work. sister has a heated garage so i was hoping i might be able to train on that. :) i got goals. :D

thanks so much Mo and Sue for your support. I appreciate it. :) I am just going to keep repeating i can do all things through christ all day tomorrow if it's tough. :lol:
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

97 degrees predicted with a heat advisory. even better i just got cycle today which i had forgotten about. cramps in the heat. yay. :tongue: :funny:
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

I did it. :) 37 miles rode. It was very intimidating at first. It was mostly guys there. and they looked pretty professional and in shape and like well cyclists. I was the only one not wearing a biking outfit. I don't even use toe clips right now. I was pretty nervous because it's really hot out, windy, i got period which is sometimes painful, port a potties gross me out, I was worried about the water situation because i only did bring one water bottle and I haven't rode in one of these in many years. I also felt uncomfortable and that i didn't fit in really. What happened next was even worse. It was a very advanced course with continuous long, winding, steep incline hills. I felt like i was in the mountains. I had no idea.. I have barely practiced hills. And the few by house are NOTHING compared to what was on the course.

I didn't even know that area got so hilly. The hills are some of the biggest that i've seen around here. I would think around the corner we were at the top and no it get going up and up. i had to walk some of these hills. the first 18 miles was basically long winding steep hill after hill. It was tough. at the rest stop i did use the port a potti but I couldn't go. I don't know if it was the heat or i was just tense. I ALWAYS go usually after that many miles. and drinking so much liquid. I wasn't sure what to do. But i decided to head out and never had to go the whole course.

I even asked how to contact a SAG wagon at the rest stop after what I went through the first 18 miles. But they said it was easier on the way back and it was. But it was extremely windy! The wind was good and bad. IT made the heat easier to deal with but riding into it was very difficult.

The last 19 miles were not as tough but still somewhat hilly but more normal like. It started getting hotter though and i started getting tired. I started getting a bit crabby too. Not to anyone i talked too just to myself.. I was so tired of hills at the end. i started worrying why i wasn't going to the bathroom and worried i had heat exhaustion and then i was wondering who would give me a kidney. :funny:

I can't imagine what the 100 miles course is like. A lot of these guys acted like it was just an easy ride. Everyone was really nice and friendly though and encouraging. I'm glad i did it. :D :D
Last edited by fat-to-fit on Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

I will say too the downhills were nice but with traffic and not having biked for a while i braked for most of them. the hills were so long and steep that hand would get tired from holding the brake so long to slow down. :funny: I think the fastest i went was around 28 mph.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

I tried to post on the FB group but computer was being goofy and after I typed a reply, I couldn't get it to post, but hopefully it will work here. :tongue:

Anyway, congratulations! You should be so proud of yourself just for showing up, with big bonus points for finishing! I'm sure it would have been easy to look at the forecast and talk yourself out of going. You get a gold star! You are so awesome! :clap:
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

Thanks Mo!! :) I probably wouldn't have done it if i had realized it was more of an advanced course there really were no recreational riders on it. just me and leggings and tshirt. :funny: sister said i was probably dehydrated a little is why i didn't go the bathroom. even walking up those hillls was a workout though and i was out of breath.

next two races are. a 5k in 2 weeks which is will just run 30 second intervals every 3 minutes.

and then next bike ride is on the 4th of july. This should have more recreational riders on it. :lol:

I didn't mean to imply that asking about a sag wagon at the rest stop implied that i had decided to quit. I meant i asked about it just in case i needed one on the 2nd half and then they told me that it was easier.
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

This week went pretty good. I've kept up with run/walking, i am wearing toe spacers, using stretches for feet to build their strength. Because i wear less supportive shoes now. I also use a heat cream for heels because they sometimes burn for just a tad if i go a long time run/walking or walking. Hiking doesn't bother them though since it's a dirt/gravel trail. I hiked, biked as well this week. i haven't swam this last week but in July i'm taking a swim triathlon class. It's once a week and then you commit to the exercises on your own twice a week.

Last night i couldn't sleep so i played the keyboard. And then i decided to do another bike ride today since i was up anyways. This one was suppose to be 30 miles but it turned into 37 miles because i got lost at the end. It wasn't marked well. I ended up using google maps on cell phone to get back to car and didn't go the rest of the route because by then i was ready to be done and had gone 7 extra miles. I walked up 3 hills. Once i walked up though because chain slipped off the track. A guy came by and showed me how to put it back on. I need to have sister show me again how to do it so i know for next time. I don't mind being slow right now. goal is just to get feet wet and i know i'm training for them. I have more excitement than feeling bad because i'm slow or walking up a hill. I don't really care right now. It wasn't windy or hot. Much easier than last week's.

now i'm going to take nap because i was so tired on the way home i was fighting sleep driving. Then i want to run/walk third time this week if i have time and then work. :)

I don't really have a workout schedule which i do need to think more about. Next week is first 5k. I am just run/walking it with 30 second intervals.
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

i'm not worried about the heel burning at the moment. Because it doesn't happen all the time and usually it's when i've gone walking for a long time only. and it's VERY mild. Hardly worth mentioning really. not painful just mild. I think with weight loss it has a good chance of going away. as well as with the toe spacers and strengthening exercises and heat cream.
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

I want to add strength training back into workout plans twice a week. starting this week. The last 2 or 3 weeks i quit doing it. But i know it's important especially after reading all the comments by people who come here who have lost weight and then want to tone up after losing the weight. I'm hopeful i won't have a lot of extra skin. I don't have rolls, haven't been heavy too long and i don't have saggy skin now. and i do want to lift weights too. :)

I want to thank BossMan just for all his support he has always given. He doesn't comment much anymore but i do appreciate it all the nice stuff he has said. :D :clap:

One thing nice about these bike rides is there is a lot of eye candy. :funny: Mostly men at these things and a lot of them are in good shape. :clap: I'm not interested in dating though. I've become really insecure about relationships now with mental health problems. But i do like being around men more since i don't really go to bars or anything except open mics..
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Post by Fitafter50 »

Strength training is good for keeping your metabolism humming, too, as you lose weight. :)

Too funny on the eye candy! :funny:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

fat-to-fit wrote:I want to thank BossMan just for all his support he has always given. He doesn't comment much anymore but i do appreciate it all the nice stuff he has said. :D :clap:
:thumb:
whenlifewassimpler
VETERAN

Post by whenlifewassimpler »

Congrats Bekah and wow you poor thing with all the surprises and the monthly too, plus water and bathroom situation you had a lot to deal with..... congrats on finishing and slapping high 5's at you too. I am very impressed and sending out kudo's also.

Keep up the good work and hope you do the others you want even taking into account your foot pain.

Sue