Lu's Workout Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ldematto
VETERAN

Lu's Workout Journal

Post by ldematto »

First Day on New Program and I already messed up. But here's what I did. I'm trying a program designed by Alwyn Cosgrove in a book I'm reading - Alternating Workouts A & B, M-W-F for 4 weeks. Gradually increasing weight and decreasing reps. in each stage. Program has 7 stages, each more challenging than the last

Warm up on the bicycle 15 minutes - Level 15

Workout A

A - Squats 50 lbs. 3 x 15

B1- Push Ups 2 x 15, 1 @60 degree angle, 1 @ 45 - Smith Machine
B2- Seated Row 50 lbs 2 x 15

C1 - Step - Up 20 lbs 2 x 15
C2 - Prone JackKnife < ---NO WAY, NO HOW COULD I DO THIS :(:(

Any suggestions? I'm very disappointed in myself :(

But I did workout today, after raking the lawns for over 3 hours yesterday - that was a good workout! Phew! Last night I didn't think I'd be able to get out of bed this morning:)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

It's the balance part that I can't seem to do - I can't even get in position. Do you start on the floor? Just not a natural move for me....and of course when you are at the gym with people watching it's even tougher :)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Excellent - thank you!

I'll try it again on Friday when I'm scheduled for that workout again.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

HIIT Cardio on the Treadmill today

25 minute - 5 minute warm up at 3.4 and then 10 6.6 - 6.8 sprints 1:1:50 Incline 4

I was beat but finished. I must admit I wasn't looking forward to it, must mean I'm doing it right!

Food Today

5 AM Protein Shake Pre-workout w/banana w/flax seed oil

7 AM Strawberries, then Whole Grain Cereal with nuts and raisins - 3/4 C Soy Milk

8:30AM Apple

10:30AM - Greek Yogurt 16 g Protein - Strawberries sprinkled with Flax Seed

12:30PM - 5 oz chicken, 3/4 c Spinach - 1/4 c Brown Rice - 1/2 c grape tomatoes

3:30PM I will have a salad with cucumbers, tomatoes, spinach and romaine - walnuts & 4 oz of 2% Cottage Cheese -1 HB eggs (edit 2 - 1 co-worker was hungry, gave him 1 of 2 eggs! )

6:30 - 7:00PM Dinner will be 5 oz chicken, spinach and salad

I'm in bed by 9 PM - not sure what or if I should have anything before bed?
Last edited by ldematto on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Today's Workout:

10 minute Warm Up on Bicycle Level 15

Workout B - Alwyn Cosgrove Program

A - Deadlifts
50 lbs. 2 x 15 (25lb DB hand)

B1 - DB Shoulder Press
10 lbs. hand 2 x 15 (decreased from 15 lbs DB's)
B2- Wide Lat. Pull Down
50 lbs. 2 x 15

C1- Lunges
15 lb DB - 2 x 15 per leg
C2- Swiss Ball Crunch
2 x 10

Felt I could do more but wanted to follow program as much as possible.

Finished with Hip Thrusts 3 x 12, Leg Rasies and Glute Kickbacks 2 x 12, and various stretching.

Right shoulder was sore so did not push it on shoulder presses - normally use 15 lb DB's.

Tomorrow is day off - may go in for some steady Cardio.

Food:

Protein Shake w/frozen banana and flax oil
Protein Powder and 8 oz of water after workout

Whole Grain Cold Cereal 1 c. w 3/4 c soy milk and handful of blueberries

3 oz of pork loin 1 c spinach and salad

Fiber One Yogurt 4 oz with strawberries sprinkled with flax seed

Grandson wanted to bake bread, couldn't help but have a small piece with butter no less! :(

4 oz pork loin, 1 c cabbage and 1/2 sweet potato (made salad but was full!)
Last edited by ldematto on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

I feel like I've gone all over the place and need to stick to something - maybe the Biggest Loser Comp will take over and get me on track. In the meantime I think I'll try to follow this program but ramp it up a bit. I'll have to check out your workout routine more closely.

I'm not losing weight (much anyway) but body is definitely changing so I must be doing something right - with everyone's help of course!
Last edited by ldematto on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Thanks Katie! I needed that! :):):)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

That would be great Katie - thank you!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Hmmm- some new ones for me - Skullcrushers, inch worms? :):) I'll have to hit youtube tonight!

Thank you!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Hi Katie - I checked out the ones I wasn't familiar with, the workout looks great! I think the half inch worm will help me get better prepared for the prone jackknife and other Swiss Ball exercises where I seem to have some real balance issues. I guess I really need to work on core strength.

Can you add the weights you are using? I may not be where you are, but I could set goals :):)

Thank you !
Lu
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Today Day Off but went to the gym anyway :)

Cardio 20 minutes 3.4 mph at incline 8. Then 10 minutes in the tanning booth, I know not good for me, but when (notice I said when not if) I fit into the bikini I bought I can't be looking like the Pillsbury dough boy! :):)
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

No protein shake today - but drank an EAS Myoplex Lite 11 oz. 20 g protein

1 c. Whole Grain cold cereal with 3/4 c soy milk - with blueberries.

22 almonds (100 cal pack)

Mid Morning - Fiber One Yogurt with Blueberries and strawberries sprinkled with flax seed.

Lunch - 5 oz chicken, 1 c cabbage, salad with cucumbers, grape tomatoes and a bit of carrots.

Snuck in 6 dark chocolate kisses :oops:

4 oz 2% Cottage Cheese - 100 Cal pack of almonds.

Dinner - Tilapia with 1 cup broc - salad - small red or sweet potato - not sure yet.

Will probably have some yogurt before bed.

I need to start tracking calories again, haven't done so in awhile. I was averaging about 1800 a day

That's it!
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

You are doing so great Lu. Keep it up!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Thanks Patty !

Todays Workout:

10 minute Warm Up Treadmill 3.4 mph Incline 8

Squats 60 lbs. 3 x 15 (Increased froom 50 lbs)
Push Ups - 2 x 10 @ 45 degrees on Smith - real problem for me.
Seated Row - 50 lbs. 3 x 15
Step Up - 2 x 15 per leg
Pull Up - 3 x 5
Single Arm DB Rows - 25 lbs. 3 x 15 per arm
DB Swings - 15 lbs. 2 x 10 - coordination trouble but cool exercise:) Thanks Katie!

Hip Thrusts 3 x 12, Glute Kickbacks 2 x 10

Swiss Ball Bridge 4 x 30 secs. Trying basic swiss ball moves to prepare for prone jackknifes etc. Tried Katie's Half Inch Worm - I have a real hard time reaching the floor so gave up. Will try again. I need some flexibility exercises or stretching routines I think.

Food:

Protein Shake w banana on the side.

Protein w/ 8 oz water immediately after workout. Apple on the way home.

Whole Grain cold cereal with 3/4 c soy milk, and handful of blueberries

10 AM - Fiber One Yogurt 4 oz with handful of blueberries sprinkled with flax seed

Lunch - Salad with hard boiled egg and 1/4 cup walnuts, grape tomatoes, cukes

2 PM - Weight watchers Cheese stick and 4 quarters of a cucumber (about 4 inches)

Dinner: Going to a fundraiser for a 3 year old with cerebral palsy who needs surgery to be able to walk. You can see the story on NBC30.com search "Morgans Angel" She's adorable!! They will have snacks, hopefully some veggies or I'm in big trouble. I'm going to eat some salad and another hard boiled egg before I go.

I'll try to behave!
ldematto
VETERAN

Post by ldematto »

Saturday Weigh In - Lost 1.5 lbs! Yeah!!

Off to the gym for HIIT Cardio today - will do treadmill at 3.4 mph, with 6.8 sprints (10) - then going to take bike ride with husband later on. It's suppose to be in the 80's today - finally some nice weather where we can get outside!

Had 2 cocktails last night at the fund raising event - I think they raised over $20k! It's amazing how the community came together for this adorable little girl. In the silent auction I bid and won a Health and Longevity Wellness Package valued at $150 that will identify bio-markers, which is suppose to help me understand where I am doing well and where I can improve when it comes to increasing vitality and improving healthy aging. This is with a Chiropractic Physician and Certified Clinical Nutritionist - I bet I will find out body composition and return periodically to track progress. I'm so excited!!!

Sunday will be day off.