Rich's Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Rich's Journal

Post by Boss Man »

I would actually say, even if you made the mistake the day before and felt like not having breakfast, have breakfast anyway.

You could still have a smaller breakfast, not a full one, but if you don't, you're just going off schedule again and it could disrupt your mentality towards eating, instigating more randomness in the way you eat in future days.

It's like people who eat too much in a meal, then try to do more Cardio to burn it off, or skip the next meal. Skipping the meal may possibly result in what I said above and too much Cardio is potentially overworking the body and is not te answer. The answer, I feel, would be to get things back to normal, so more distruption or slips in the plan are minimised or cut out.
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Good thoughts there and I know you are right but when I am naughty I feel I need to be punished.

Well, not been a good week but still hit a new low this morning. I am going to re-commit myself starting NOW. I got a cruise coming up and just over 20lbs to lose yet. Time to get serious. I work in a family business and parents retired so now the three of us kids own it. We have 42 employees and it can be a bit much at times. We are throwing our parent a huge retirement party one week from tomorrow. I have been building them a present the last week that has taken up all energy and mental capacity. It is a clock that we built here at work and it is turning out fantastic. It is out at plating right now so the hard work is done and now I can get back to focusing on healthy living. Monday is weigh-in and I plan on eating right until then.

Side note, I did chest/tri's tuesday and wow I had a very nice jump in weights. Pretty proud even with the slacking. Just proves that a few bad days are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

richs wrote:a few bad days are insignificant in the grand scheme of things.
Exactly!! It's the overall picture that counts.

Hang in there, you are doing good.

Progress is still progress, slow or fast, as long as you get there. :mrgreen:
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

You built your parents a clock? What a lovely gift.
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

The clock will be back from anodizing soon. I will get a picture of it after we get it assembled. Hopefully the colors we chose come out good.

Had a pretty darn good week except for some family problems. Those problems are resolved once and for all and I feel great. It was picture day yesterday and see a noticeable difference from 2 months ago. I still got a ways to go but am very motivated. I will be going away with the family this coming weekend so that will be tough nutrition wise.

207.9lbs!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

richs wrote:when I am naughty I feel I need to be punished.
If I was a woman, a statement like that could have sent me all of a quiver, but I'm a guy, so I was right on the money, when it comes to not "losing it in translation" :wink:

Just over 3lbs in a week; nice going. At this rate you'll be where you want to be in next to no time.

It's good to see you going in the right direction(s). Keep perservering and good luck, because you ARE worth it and it IS working :).
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Yup, that is just off sense of humor :D

Thanks for the encouragement, it is always appreciated. Working out with wife is SOOOOOO nice because there is no fear of falling off the wagon. We are having so much fun with this. She was blown away by the progress pics as was I. If you look back in journal I am getting close to the weight I was back then. That was with clothes off and these weights I am posting are fully clothed with shoes on. In reality I am only a few pounds away. It will be nice to go lower then before and that will be the lowest I have been in over a decade. I am not there yet so I need to stay focused.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I did something a little unusual many years ago. I weighed with clothes on and without clothes on and the differnce was 3lbs.

However when I weighed the clothes on their own, (not sure why I did this), they weighed 1.5lbs.

So sometime between wearing the clothes and taking them off, 1.5lbs of weight mysteriously dissapeared into the ether :?.
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

I think scales are not as accurate with real light weights because I have seen the same thing. For the record, I am 201.5 lbs butt naked.
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

I have parents retirement party tonight. Last night was leg workout. I was worried about pushing it too hard as I have not worked legs like I should have the last month or so. Well I pushed it too hard and they are still very weak. I can walk but that is about it. Going down stairs is interesting. That is what I get for being motivated :D

The clock turned out great. I will get a picture soon. weight is on par for another 2-3lb drop if I can make it through this weekend. It will be all resturant food so that makes it tough. I am taking some protein bars with me as it is the lesser of the evils in book. I have been getting much better at keeping tabs on calories and making adjustments throught the week and the results are showing that. Now I just hope that I can read this on Monday and be proud of how I ate on the weekend. Go Rich :D
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

Well parents retirement party went great, I could not be happier.

Had a real good week going like I said before and the weekend was tough. I did best. youngest daughter ordered a chicken quesadilla (sp?) and I ordered the yellow fin tuna. She did not like her meal at all so I gave her mine and I ate her's. Must have been real high in sodium because I held water like no tomorrow. But today is weigh-in no matter what so the number is high compared to what it was friday but who cares. I will just keep plugging away!

207.0lbs
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It's quite conceivable the yellow fin tuna was salty, as it might have been a type of tuna fish that comes canned in brine, (salty water), not necessarily just water.
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

You are probably right. I pounded the water yesterday and feel body is letting it go now. Still a little higher then Friday but going in the right direction.

body is getting better at recovering after lifting weights so plan is to keep upping weight time and lowering cardio time. I will try this for a while and see how it plays out. I like short rest periods between sets and I do a good job of keeping heart rate up. I finally got man enough to bench a barbell rather then on a machine...pathetic. 115lbs for 4 sets of 10 reps. It was embarrasing. I am soooo motivated to get the weight up I will push it hard. I am curious to see if the weight goes up as fast in bench as it has with everything else. chest was always a weak area for me and triceps by far the best, go figure.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You might find dumbells better for benching, than a barbell or an olympic bar.

One possible issue is lopsided devlopment, because with a barbell, one arm can become a little dependant on the other and use it as a crutch somewhat and then lopsidedness could occur, if for example, you're working 55% of the weight you use on one side of your chest and 45% on the other side, which would stimulate uneven growth rates on both sides.

Using dumbells, forces the potentially lazy arm, to try and work as much as the other.

It might be a thought.

Also be aware not to do the obvious thing, which is use dumbells weighing half the amount of a barbell. A barbell will displace some of the weight into the centre, but dumbells pretty much channel the whole weight on each side, into the working area, so you could be struggling a bit if you halve the weight you use on a barbell and apply that to dumbells.

I would suggest you use about 40% of the barbell weight for the dumbells, obviously 20% of the barbell weight allocated to each dumbell, then if it feels a bit light on the first set, increase the dumbells to the next ones up in weight and keep doing this until eventually you find the "happy medium".

However if you feel you still want to use the barbell variation, then you can ignore what I said, until potentially a later date sometime, as barbell benching doesn't always cause lopsided development, but it can sometimes.
richs
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by richs »

I was brought up on dumbells and benched with them for a long time in early years. I was dissapointed in progression and it always remained a weak muscle group. That is the reason I am trying the barbell this time around. I will mix in the dumbells but keep the majority with the barbell. I totally agree on the lopside issue. I have a very dominant right arm so the left needs some work. That will play a huge role in how much dumbell use I get.

Had a good day yesterday. We celebreated brothers birthday at work with lunch. We hit a mexican resturant and eat a good meal with no worries. I just eat whatever I want but maintain macros and calories. Guilt free eating! Who would have thought it could be that easy.