Just starting

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Just starting

Post by EdgarHF »

Hi, I just found this site today and I am new here. I began trying to lose weight in Jan. At that time I weighed in at 298 (I'm 5'11'' by way). I am now at 278, but I have been at 278 for 3 weeks. The thing is I feel like I am starving myself and still I am stuck at 278. I had been doing walks every day, but apparently that was not enough. Anyway, today I joined a fitness center and worked out for the first time in 17 years. I did 30 minutes on the treadmill. Lifted some weights (I was pathetic). I then did another 30 minutes on the treadmill. The funny thing is I enjoyed it and can't wait til tomorrow to go there again. I am not giving up. This is going to be permanent.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Just starting

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there :).

It's good to see the renewed optimisim and vigour, but what prompted the cessation of activity all those years ago, may I ask?

I'm just curious, not here to judge you.
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

Boss Man wrote:Hi there :).

It's good to see the renewed optimisim and vigour, but what prompted the cessation of activity all those years ago, may I ask?

I'm just curious, not here to judge you.
The truthful answer is I do not know. The 17 years ago comment refered to the last time I was in a gym and worked out. I was never a lover of working out. I was in the Marines in the early 70s and hated the regimen. That is one reason I am surprised I enjoyed the workout. The current reason for getting in shape is being diagnosed with diabetes a year and a half ago. I now have two choices, take care of myself or be sick all the time. The first year and three months I choose the later.

By the way, thanks for the interest.
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

Its second day of working out. Did the same routine as yesterday. Funny thing is heart rate did not go up as much as yesterday. I am still learning about fitness, just beginning really. heart rate was up at around 165 yesterday while working. From what I read yesterday on the net after the workout 165 is a max for age and I should not be going over 85 percent of max. The rate never topped 145 today. I am not sure if I understand that. I may have it wrong. I think I should at least find a book on fitness.

I finally broke that 278 pound barrier, but by only one pound. Maybe I should stop concentrating on weight.

Edit: Changed 178 to 278
Last edited by EdgarHF on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

Lesplease wrote:Hi!

What does the routine look like?
Disorganized :) I have no idea what I am doing so right now I am blundering along. There are programs I can choose on the treadmill. I choose the weight loss one at level one for 30 minutes. I get the pace at around 17 minutes to the mile, not very impressive but I am not in good shape. I am working at it :) I am still trying to figure out the weight machines. The club I go to has Cybex VR3s. I did the overhead press and the abs machine today, but not many reps and not much weight. For a guy size I apparently don't have alot of strength. I then go back to the treadmill and repeat another 30 minutes.

I would like to schedule time with a personal trainer for a few sessions, but this month I laid out to much money already. I am going to try to schedule some time next month.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Initially I'd stick to some kind of Basic regime.

So you work all the muscle groups every session then have 3 sessions a week, alternate days.

When you hit the muscles, only use 1 exercise per muscle group, 2 times each, going for around 8-10 repetitions of the exercise.

I would advise that most of what you use for now be machines, because free weights can sometimes require more than a basic technique and sometimes unusual stances and without anyone to show you, you might run into problems. Some Free weights could be done however, those that utilise a basic tehcnique, not more than one component to the movement, plus a simple stance, I.E. standing upright or sitting down for example.

So you're looking at something akin to this.

2 sets Leg extensions, 8-10 reps.

2 sets Hamstring Curls, 8-10 reps.

2 sets Back extensions, 8-10 reps.

2 sets Pec Deck, 8-10 reps.

2 sets Reverse Pec Flyes if possible, 8-10 reps

2 sets E-Z Bar Curls, 8-10 reps

2 set Tricep Pressdowns, 8-10 reps.

2 sets Machine Shoulder Presses 8-10 reps.

All of those with a minute rest in between.

Planks for Stomach. On the tips of the toes, resting on the Forearms, straight back, 30 seconds.

Keep all the weight light and in terms of the Machines, don't exceed 3 plates initially.

With Planks, add another 5 seconds a week.

With the E-Z Curls, add a tiny amount every 2 weeks.

With the Machines, if they have little 5lb things you unhook and slide down, add one of those per week, until you're ready for another plate. Then after a week with the other plate, start adding the little 5lb add-ons as before week by week.

If the machines don't have those add-ons, find a 2.5kg, (4.4lb), disk and a spare pin and tag the weigh onto the front or back of the machine if possible, then the next week, add another plate and leave the disk off, then the following week add the disk back, then another plate and no disk the week after that etc etc.

In the case of getting a trainer, when you use a trainer, you will probably sub some of the machine stuff for other more free weight stuff. As I said, I am adivsing against things they may do for now, as some of the exercises I think they'll use, can require things like two or more movements in one repetition, or an unusual stance, where more than one joint is bent and because of this, if one aspect of those exercises isn't right, like a Bent Back, Elbows locked out etc etc, this can cause issues.

The things I suggested have a basic sit or stand approach, with a basic range of movement, so no fiddly things to master. This should give you something to work with, until you can switch some of the exercises for other free weight stuff under supervision.
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

I got up at 6:30AM and walked the eight blocks to the gym. I pretty much followed Bossman's advice except to the planks. I just don't fell safe doing them in condition. If I hurt myself this soon it would be very discouraging. I substituted with the abs machine and back press. In a few months I hope I will have lost enough to feel I can safely do planks. It may be an irrational fear, but it is a fear nonetheless. I begin work week tomorrow. I work 4 on and 3 off so I wll take a rest from the gym tomorrow and go back Thurday. I found that I lost another 2 pounds today putting me at 275 pounds.
Noosk
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Noosk »

Great going Edgar. Welcome to your new lifestyle!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Other options then.

You can still do Planks on your Knees, if you're having stability issues, still keeping the forearm resting position as well.

Or you can do the crunch variation exercise where you lie on you Back, and slide your hands up to your Knees then back again.

That Abs machine is almost certainly a dud thing, I'd never use one, as some people don't know how to sit, or set it up properly.
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

You can still do Planks on your Knees, if you're having stability issues, still keeping the forearm resting position as well.
Sounds like that may work
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

I just got back from workout and it was a rough one at least emotionally. I took a rest from the gym yesterday. Although, I did go for an hour walk at lunchtime. I did the same today. As so as I got home today I changed and walked the six or 7 blocks to the Gym. I did 2 sets of ten of the weight routines (I'm too tired to list them). After lifting I got on the treadmill and set it to level 3 weight loss for 30 minutes. For some reason it felt like I had gone to hell for 30 minutes. And, it didn't seem like a half hour it felt like an eternity. When I was done I was drenched in sweat. Then I made the mistake of weighing myself. I gained back 2 pounds. I have the choice of giving up or being sick all the time. I just got to put days like this behind me. I'll be in a better mood tomorrow.
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

Today was a planned day of rest. It was also a day of reflection. I had to figure what am I doing wrong to make yesterday a bad day where I did not enjoy working out. Number one problem, I made a mistake of buying the cheapest shoes I could even though they did not fit me comfortably. Today on lunch break I drove to a running store and bought a good pair of shoes. I may have paid too much this time but the shoes fit well and I am not going to have to be thinking about how much feet hurt. They also feel like I am walking on air. The second thing I did is contacted gym about scheduling a personal trainer. I need some help at least initially on what the heck I am doing, AKA knowledge. I also stopped at the bookstore on the way home and picked up a couple books. One on strength training anatomy, the other on beginning running.

I may have been over doing it in the gym. Today at work every muscle in body felt sore and tired. Maybe that is normal at the beginning. Tomorrow, I will do some strength training, and only do some light cardio. I will do the heavy cario Sunday. I am also seriously considering joining a running club. A local club has a 5K training program for beginners. I did hundreds of 5Ks when I was in the marines, but you would not know it by looking at me now. I have not run that distance since the 70s. That is a goal I might aim at. I am not sure it is realistic.
Fygle
REGULAR

Post by Fygle »

I'm sure you'll find all of those good investements! Sounds like you are serious, and that means you'll get results, just need to find your rythm. A personal trainer will definitely help you find that. Don't worry about feeling like crap in the gym the other day, it'll get better. The start is rough, but it gets better fast as the body adjusts to your activity, you'll get less sore as you progress. Good luck!
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

Tomorrow morning I do first workout with a trainer so no strength training today. I went to the gym and did a light 30 minute cardio workout on the treadmill. The new shoes made a world of difference. I could have easily done another half hour, but I don't want to over do it. Especially if I want to make the most out of tomorrow's workout. In the 30 minutes on the treadmill I did 1.68 miles. That's probably laughable for most people here, but it was best distance in that time in the week that I have been working out. goal is definitely to run a 5K outdoors on real ground. I want to gradually crank it up to without injurying myself. I will never be able to match Marine Corps times for three miles, but I would like someday in the future get a passing score for the Marine Corps test, which was under 28 minutes when I served. I am really lokking forward to tomorrow. :D
EdgarHF
HIGH FLYER

Post by EdgarHF »

I had first workout with a trainer this morning. It was well worth the investment. Looks like I was doing strength training totally wrong. I found out fear of doing planks was unfounded. trainer is making me a list of the routines I did today so I can do them on own until next session next monday. I have also decided to stop weighing myself and least for the time being. I was not constantly weighing myself on the way up so why should I be weighing myself on the way down.