Jocelyn's 1/2 Marathon Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Jocelyn's 1/2 Marathon Journal

Post by Boss Man »

Well it's not for us to pry about the why's and wherefores regarding someone else, that made you feel emotional, but the main thing is you made up for it and it hasn't set you back because you still moved forward.

I'm always here for you if you need to talk, but just keep believing in yourself and remember you ARE worth it and your physical future is what matters a lot here and if there are other things or people that are not beneficial to this in any real way, then they should be overlooked, because things that detract from your happiness or well being, should be reduced from your life if possible.

I'm sending you a BIG HUG and I just want you to know that I'm proud of you for continuing to try and continuing to have some self belief in yourself Jocelyn and I personally want you to keep seeing the person you WILL deserve to be and sometimes looking yourself in the mirror and reminding yourself of what you're worth and what you mean to others, because ultimately you are unique in your own beautiful and special way and remembering who you are and attributing a lot of value to it and self worth, will help you to remember why you're doing this and why you should be doing it.

So don't let what has happened bring you down in any way, if you an, just be positive, and don't forget the positives about you and the fact that there are people in this world like me that see and value the positives in you, because overall, you're doing great and you're making progress, especially after the setbacks you had in the past after your accidents and other problems and I appreciate it's hard and I know it won't suddenly get easier, but trying to look at your circumstances and you as a person as positively as you can, should help to make the whole process a little easier and more productive.

:thumb: :thumb:
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

you wouldn't want to train for a tri with me jocelyn?? you could do an aquabike too or the half iron. Would love someone to meet there and train online with. It would be fun but i know how busy you are and that you are doing insanity right now and i would guess probably don't have the time.. Just thought i would mention it. :)
Last edited by musculArgirl2 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

I have actually been wanting to do a tri, Becky. Unfortunately I don't have access to a pool right now and I can't afford to join the Y right now :( I still think you should do it! Hopefully in a year or so things will change, but right now I just can't make it work.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I imagine paddling in a bath would be a poor substitute :shock: :bugeyes: .
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Well, I do have a deep tub, but probably not quite enough :mrgreen:

I am really beyond frustrated right now. I have been working tail off for 2.5 weeks. I have never worked out as hard as I have been with the Insanity program. Every night I give it all and can barely stand up after I am done. I am not just doing a half-hearted workout. And I gained 2.2 pounds this week. I am literally back to the exact same weight I was before I started the program. I really am at the point where I am wondering why I am even bothering. I workout so hard that if I don't take a few second break every few minutes I am pretty sure lungs will collapse.

I have never had this issue before. Normally when I first start a new workout I drop weight like crazy in the first month. Then it evens out. Now I can't even lose an ounce :( I really don't know what more to do.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Could it be you are retaining water right now. Insanity is so extreme of a workout that would be guess. Just stick with it you are doing awesome. :clap:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You could be eating water if you've changed your diet.

You could have gained a bit of muscle, but you wouldn't gain that much in the time frame you're referring to.

You may have gained a bit of fat, possibly with muscle if you made alterations to your diet.

It might be your TOM.

You might have gained something if you have been taking medication recently that affects your bodies metabolism in some way.

You might have developed some kind of metabolic issue.

You may have weighed at a different time to the usual, like last thing at night versus first thing in the morning.

You could have trained so hard that you may have burned a bit of muscle, thereby creating the possibility that your body can't burn fat as efficiently as it could do.

It might just be something that passes.

Obviously there are a couple of possibles there that might seem a bit worrying, but I'm not trying to worry you, just to be honest about your concerns, but one of those things might just strike a chord with you in someway, however I would keep doing what you're doing for now, if nothing I said can be related to your circumstances, because if you knee-jerk you might possibly change what you're doing to a fairly unproductive approach.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Well that's frustrating, I just tried to submit a long post and it took me to an error page so I lost the whole thing!

I'll summarize...

No weight lost this week. Zip, zero, zilch. I am frustrated because it makes no sense. I weigh myself the same time every week (once a week only). I have been putting in the effort. diet, while not 100%, is still good so that should not be hindering me. I don't feel like I am retaining water (no swelling/bloating). No medicine changes. I am just really discouraged right now and don't know what more to do. Now I am leaving for a week in California where I will be putting in up to 15 hour days and will have absolutely no control over food brought in or restaurants chosen. I am at the mercy of others in that regard. Then I will be home for a week and after that will be leaving for a week in Florida for vacation. I will have 2 year old niece and 5 and 7 year old nephews with me (I am babysitting them in a resort while sister and her husband spend a week in Aruba) so it will be really difficult to get any exercise in. I have work cut out for me over the next few weeks so it would have been nice to have dropped at least a few pounds prior. I am just feeling really discouraged right now. I have never had trouble losing weight when I put mind to it so something has definitely changed - maybe it's just age, I don't know. I don't want to cut calories because then I would have no energy. I guess I'll keep chugging along and hope something kicks in.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Could it have something to do with what you mentioned a while back about you were losing some hair etc. Not sure if you got that checked out?? It probably isn't because you don't have a ton of weight to lose but that's all i could think of... maybe a endocrinology issue?? i doubt it but again that's all i could think of..

I think otherwise it will just happen you will probably lose a ton of weight one week! :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It could be just a plateau that you will get over soon.

It could be you gained a bit of muscle.

As you say diet was not 100%, so maybe that was it.

Maybe your exercise a little too samey, or lacking in intensity and your body got used to it, os the efficacy was lost, or the exercise was only permitting a certain amount of physical improvement and it needs an overhaul or at least a higher intensity level I:E going up one or two levels on a treadmill and / or lifting 10%-20% more weight.

I can appreciate this is frustrating and I can feel it in your words. Troublesome admissions tinged with your own unique and beautiful, expressive ability, so I feel proud of you for saying these things, but appreciative of your circumstances.

I am sending you a BIG HUG to let you know I am thinking of you and as always, I am 10,000,000% behind you Jocelyn, because you've been coming here for a long time now and no matter what, you're always a ray of sunshine even when your own world seems gloomy and you are a 24 carat gold sweetheart who I hugely appreciate all the time :).

So chin up, be strong and just keep plugging away. It may be nothing and you might find there's nothing to be concerned about in the long term, but know that we're here for you and whatever this lack of progress is being fueled by, I'm sure one way or another you'll find out, or work it out and be hopefully better placed to overcome these frustrations.

GOOD LUCK Jocelyn and be proud of never giving up on yourself, because I am always proud of you for that and many more things as well.

:thumb: :thumb: :sunshine:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

I'm at the airport now - first flight was delayed so I had to reschedule connection so I have 2.5 hours to waste. It was kind of a blessing because I'm just walking. I am avoiding all escalators and taking the stairs instead and I am not using the people movers, I am just walking. I may not be able to workout tonight so at least I am able to move around a bit today instead of sitting at a desk all day :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In relation to what you posted in an earlier post about having a comment blocked, I'll PM you a response about that :).

Don't worry you did nothing wrong honestly :)
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Great Job at working out at the airport Jocelyn!! :)
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Life has been a little crazy. I got no formal exercise while I was in California - by the time I would get back to the hotel I would literally just pass out in time to get 6 hours of sleep and then get up to start all over again. But I was very physical all week, I wasn't sitting behind a computer, I was physically working. Unfortunately the food they fed us was far from healthy. I did manage to lose a pound though, so I guess the physical exertion beat out the bad food :clap:

SInce I have been back I have been swamped so no time to workout. Tomorrow evening I leave for vacation, so it is unlikely that I will get much for exercise in the next week either. I think when I get back from vacation I will start from scratch on the Insanity workout program. After taking 3 weeks off I am thinking I may as well just start over!

I am closer to possibly moving to California. I have decided if it works out financially, I am going to move. Right now I am just waiting on an offer for a relocation package. If it works out then I will start looking for a place to live :D But I don't know how generous they will be with the cost of living change, so it all depends on that. Plus I need to make sure they are willing to fly me home to work from the corporate offices a few times a year so that I can see me family. So there is a lot up in the air right now - and a lot of stress involved in all of it - I plucked an awful lot of grey hairs this morning :shock:

Hope everyone is having a great week :thumb:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

feelin-great wrote:I plucked an awful lot of grey hairs this morning
I think that might be a slight exaggeration :tongue: :tongue: