Jocelyn's 1/2 Marathon Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

feelin-great
VETERAN

Jocelyn's 1/2 Marathon Journal

Post by feelin-great »

I think I have officially lost mind :? What was I thinking! Last night I signed up for a 1/2 marathon on September 25th :shock: After I submitted registration I was so excited! Then I woke up this morning....

I am scared :| Up until the last couple of months I was never a runner, I couldn't even run for 1 minute at a time! I was in cross country freshman year but I wasn't very good. That plus the fact that I had really bad asthma at the time kind of made me hate it, but I finished the season anyway. And I haven't run again until recently.

So maybe I am crazy for doing this or maybe I have just hit a point in life that I am ready to move forward and do things that I can truly be proud of - I guess that's kind of a fine line :lol: I have been so inspired by so many people on here and since I have started running again I really feel a sense of accomplishment.

Anyway, I decided to start a marathon journal to keep separate from diet journal. I think if I keep it separate I will hold myself more accountable to keeping up with the training schedule. The 1/2 marathon is just over 18 weeks away and the training program is 12 weeks long, so I will stretch it out to the 18 weeks by making tweeks here and there.

I registered really early because I knew that if I paid for it I would do it - if I hadn't paid for it I would probably have found an excuse to back out. So now there's no turning back :D

Tonight I will begin training by doing a 3 mile run - I am going to try to do 3 minutes jog, 2 minutes fast until I finish the 3 miles...here goes nothin' :mrgreen:
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Jocelyn's 1/2 Marathon Journal

Post by fitoverforty »

Go Jocelyn!!!! You can do this!
Just in case you are interested, I found an 18 week 1/2 marathon training plan:
http://www.logyourrun.com/index.php?opt ... pe=&id=284" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You - 18 weeks from now:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

fitoverforty wrote:You - 18 weeks from now:

LOL! Hey, I will be happy just to finish, but if I look that thin that's even better :lol:

Thanks for the link, I will have to take a look at it :)
Last edited by feelin-great on Thu May 20, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Your going to do great Jos. You have plenty of time to train and you will do just great.

Did you ever see Dateline a long time ago i think it was 5 years ago had a series on which diet worked the best. They chose a group of classmates and each of them did a different diet for a year. I think they did atkins, weight watchers, slim fast and i can't remember the rest. But one of the diets was just eating balanced meals and training for a marathon for the first time. The girl that ran had never run much in her life, and she lost the weight and did complete a marathon at the end of the year. They chose her as the winner. (just a inspirational story for you!)
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Thanks Becky :) That is nice to hear - I was a little worried that it may hinder weight loss because I will be mainly doing cardio instead of weights. I guess I will find out!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

brentyboy wrote:Its good that you picked an event - it will give you a sense of urgency to "get things done". Alot of times I find that if people have no deadline, they just don't ever get anywhere. (ME) Also the mental battle that will accompany it will make you stronger.

kick sista
I agree, that's why I registered this early :) And as for the kickin' , I will give it all, but I am sure the training will be kickin' on occasion :lol:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Day one training complete :D

5 minute warm up walk
3 mile run
5 minute cool down walk

At 1.5 miles I had to stop at parent's house - Stewie was in dire need of water and I was carrying a bag of poo that was really getting to me :lol: So Stewie rehydrated and I found the garbage and we were on our way in under 2 minutes. It took me 14 minutes and 2 seconds the first 1.5 miles. The return took me 14 minutes and 11 seconds. So not great time but not bad considering it is the first longer run I have done outside. Other than that 3 mile runs have been on a treadmill, which I know is a bit easier.

I also have to say that Stewie was a bit of a nuisance and really slowed me down. He was in a stinker mood and barked at half of the people we passed, plus he kept trying to stop and pee on everything, so that really slowed me down. Then on the way back he bounced into a yard and started rolling around, it took me some time to get him going again, and then when we did start moving he really slowed down - he was behind me :D I am sure it looked funny to the cars passing :D Then at one point I had to stop for a truck backing a trailer into his driveway, which slowed me down by a good 15 seconds or so.

The bad news is that I got a blister the size of Texas on right foot :( I am pretty sure it is because I didn't tie shoe tight enough - it is in the arch of foot towards the front. But I will live and I definitely learned lesson :)
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Well with all that was going on and you still managed to average just under a 10 minute pace - I'd say that is great! At some point, you know, you will have to train without Stewie especially as the miles get longer and the weather gets warmer. But I think with all the distractions you had you did a great job on your first official 1/2 marathon training day!! :D If you can keep that pace, or better yet improve on it as you increase your distances, you will have no problem finishing in the 2:45 time limit. :D
As for the blister, it could be caused from a loose shoe, if your foot slipped around inside. You might try wearing thicker socks.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

fitoverforty wrote:At some point, you know, you will have to train without Stewie especially as the miles get longer and the weather gets warmer.
I know :( I still need to get him his exercise so I might start taking him for walks right after work and using that as warm up - then I can drop him off and run by myself. It will be tough because he is crutch! He is the reason I was able to start running in public in the first place and it takes the self-consciousness (I don't think that's really a word :lol: ) out of running!

As for the blister, I think I am going to go in and get fitted for a good pair of running shoes. I plan to put on a lot of miles so I better just give feet a break! And I will wear thicker socks :)
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

feelin-great wrote:then I can drop him off and run by myself. It will be tough because he is crutch! He is the reason I was able to start running in public in the first place and it takes the self-consciousness (I don't think that's really a word :lol: ) out of running!
I understand, he helps you to feel more invisible - thinking that most folks will be looking at him instead of you. But, you are now entering into a whole different spectrum of your fitness life. I want to encourage you to start thinking of yourself as a runner - a strong and capable athletic person, with every right and purpose to be out there running, because that is what you are. Trust me, as you progress and become stronger and can run longer you will gain more confidence and at some point be proud to be out there running, secure in the knowledge that you look good and if people notice you they will admire you (as I'm sure they already do!). I've been down this same road you are on now..hesitant to step out of comfort zone and afraid that people would see me running and think I looked fat, or whatever. But, you know what? If I let that fear keep me from getting out there and running, then it wins...the fear wins, the fat wins, and I continue to be unhappy and miserable. - I don't want you to feel that way.
You are going to do fine, and you will be more empowered each time you step out there and as Nike says - Just Do It!!!!
Last edited by fitoverforty on Fri May 21, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Lynne, you should be a motivational speaker :D I will admit that when I was running last night I did feel pretty proud and comfortable - and I felt a bit athletic :) I didn't wear usual baggy t-shirt, I wore an athletic tank, somewhat fitted, and I think that helped - I was dressed for the part and that made me a bit more confident because I actually looked like a runner - at least in head I did :lol: I would hate to see video footage!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

feelin-great wrote:Lynne, you should be a motivational speaker :D
Ya think? Thanks! I guess i've reached an age that has acquired a certain amount of life experiences and I relate so much to what you were saying. I've already felt those things (still do sometimes) and I know how powerful those kind of thoughts can be, how they can derail a person before they even get started.
feelin-great wrote:I didn't wear usual baggy t-shirt, I wore an athletic tank, somewhat fitted, and I think that helped - I was dressed for the part and that made me a bit more confident because I actually looked like a runner
Now, THAT'S what I'm talking about! That's the attitude you need to have. Again, I can relate to this....a couple of years ago I was running with a running partner that not only was faster than me, but she was thinner too (now, talk about intimidating! :shock: ) and I would wear baggy tshirts because I felt so much bigger than her. She would wear the cute runner's tanks and shorts. But one day I just decided to wear one too. When she came over, as soon as she saw me, she immediately said how great I looked - I looked so strong and fit - I intimidated her!!! Imagine that!. Wow, I guess I did look pretty darn good, but up until that moment I had it in head that unless i was the same size as her, or smaller, that I couldn't possibly look good. And it did bring out more confidence in me - I felt more like an athlete - like I belonged in that sports tank, out there running for everyone to see. So much of how people perceive us, is in how we project to them how we feel about ourselves. Wearing a big baggy tshirt says "I feel fat and maybe you won't notice me if i hide behind this shirt!" But wearing a cute sports top, that hugs your curves, says "Yeah, that's right, I look good!" See what I'm saying?
Oh. the way, I charge $50 an hour for motivational speeches......lol!! :D :wink:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

fitoverforty wrote:Oh. the way, I charge $50 an hour for motivational speeches......lol!! :D :wink:
:shock: I better start saving up! Do you take your time typing :lol:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

feelin-great wrote: I registered really early because I knew that if I paid for it I would do it - if I hadn't paid for it I would probably have found an excuse to back out.
Good point :).

You'll be fine. Just keep believing in yourself and no worries. You ARE capable otherwise you wouldn't have tried :).
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

I believe "happy birthday" is in order here.....and if I'm wrong well....just enjoy it anyway!! hahaha!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOCELYN!!
hope ya like chocolate.... :D