Jocelyn's 1/2 Marathon Journal

Post your workout journals so others can review your training and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Re: Jocelyn's 1/2 Marathon Journal

Post by musculArgirl2 »

excited for you and Insanity and to hear all about it! I don't know as much about it like as i do p90x. Like Lynne said nice to see you back and posting! you can do it! :sunshine:
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The main thing is you know what caused you to go in reverse somewhat, so you are able to learn from that and try to move forwards again.

You prove that it's not an easy process, but you also prove that by trying to learn and adapt and also not give up on yourself, hope still remains and you still have a chance to achieve what you set out to achieve.

:thumb:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Insanity workout 1 is complete and I survived to talk about it :mrgreen: I did the plyometrics cardio workout.

That was intense! I had to take breaks during the warmup...yes, you read that correctly, I meant it in the plural format! But it think I am going to LOVE Insanity :D I was getting so bored with workouts it was hard to motivate myself to keep doing them. Now this program changes it up frequently that I won't get bored :) with each workout I can physically feel the stress fall off of me...and I noticed when I went to work this morning I was smiling and very chipper. Considering I dread work (and coworkers) every day, that is a huge feat :D

new favorite dinner (can't remember if I posted this before): sweet potato quesadilla. You take a whole wheat tortilla. Cover half of it with mashed sweet potato, cover it with black beans and a little pepper jack shredded cheese. Fold it in have and cook both sides on the stove. Super easy and super yummy :thumb: Sometimes I put a dollop of Greek yogurt to mimic sour cream.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

feelin-great wrote:Insanity workout 1 is complete and I survived to talk about it :mrgreen: I did the plyometrics cardio workout.

That was intense! I had to take breaks during the warmup...yes, you read that correctly, I meant it in the plural format! But it think I am going to LOVE Insanity :D

Awesome. :) see if you are sore tomorrow. :lol:
feelin-great wrote:onsidering I dread work (and coworkers) every day, that is a huge feat :D
sorry to hear work sucks. I think it sucks for probably at least half of a america. probably more. :( But glad you are trying to put an outlet to the stress...
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

hey Jocelyn, could you go into freelancing for accounting??

It might give you more freedom?? Not sure if there is enough work for it for you to do that or if you would want too.... :) NOt sure if that is even a viable option. Just a thought.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

feelin-great wrote: I took BEFORE pics before I did the fit test. Between the pics, measurements, and weight, I could cry :( But I am excited to be able to see the results! I usually just do weight.
I feel you... I wanted to cry too when I started journey again... But same time it's a motivation! :wink:

Keep it up girlfriend... You can do it, just make sure to do it at your own pace as I was injured from it twice for having incorrect forms and not stretching enough! I think I pulled back muscle or something and I couldn't walk for days... :evil: :evil: :evil:

You make me wanna do Insanity again!!! :P
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Becky - i can't do freelance, it would be a major pay loss for me. And the type of accounting I do there really isn't freelance type work - I'm not a typical financial accountant, I am in Cost Accounting, which is mainly in manufacturing companies. What I do is pretty specialized...which is why it can be difficult for me to find a new job...
Nokie173 wrote: I feel you... I wanted to cry too when I started journey again... But same time it's a motivation! :wink:

Keep it up girlfriend... You can do it, just make sure to do it at your own pace as I was injured from it twice for having incorrect forms and not stretching enough! I think I pulled back muscle or something and I couldn't walk for days... :evil: :evil: :evil:

You make me wanna do Insanity again!!! :P
I can completely see how easy it is to injure yourself with Insanity! I am already a little worried about right knee, I am icing it nightly. It doesn't hurt, it's just really tight. I have an issue with right foot when I do a lot of plyometric/jumping exercises and that's what a lot of this is. I need to find the perfect shoe for foot type - I think I am landing funny to avoid the pain in foot so it is throwing knee out of whack!

I LOVE Insanity - last night was an off night for me because I donate plasma - I wanted to work out so bad but I know I can't after donating! It's nice to have a program that I love enough that it makes me want to do it every day :D

I lost .8 pounds this week. I am happy that I lost, but at the same time, I worked butt off this week and really expected a bigger drop :( But I am trying to take other things into consideration, like the time of the month and all that, plus I am gaining muscle. At the same time it can be frustrating to work soooo hard and not see big results - but I will get there eventually :)
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I always donate whole blood, in fact I'm due very soon, but why did you choose to donate plasma as opposed to whole blood?
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Boss Man wrote:I always donate whole blood, in fact I'm due very soon, but why did you choose to donate plasma as opposed to whole blood?
I used to donate blood. I now donate plasma because the need is so great. It can take up to 1200 plasma donations to treat on patient for a year.

I did the plyometrics cardio workout tonight. I put new inserts in shoes. I'm not really sure if it helped or not - the front part of foot went completely numb but the arch didn't hurt as terribly. The inserts are thicker so the shoe fits tighter - I think that's why it went numb. I'm feel great after workouts :) And Nokie, I am definitely doing them at own pace so I can keep good form!
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

feelin-great wrote:sed to donate blood. I now donate plasma because the need is so great. It can take up to 1200 plasma donations to treat on patient for a year.
I did that in college for a while. there isn't anything close to me to do that otherwise i think i would too. Sounds like a great way to help people and also of course with plasma you earn a bit too. :clap:

Great job on insanity!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I was asked by letter one would I like to donate platelets, but that means not going to a mobile site and going to a location where there is a machine to extract blood, remove the platelets and then put the remaining blood back in, so due to the extra time it would take and a bit of traveling costs I've ever done it.

I completely understand why you do what you do though Jocelyn, as obviously it may be something a lot of donors don't do and the need for plasma might require more donors than many might think.

If you want to decrease the numbness in your foot, consider keeping the shoe inserts, but perhaps maybe lace the footwear up a little looser, so take the laces out of the holes nearest to the shin, if you use all the lace holes and then lace them up as far as the holes below. You'd get more surplus lace to tie, but you could still tie them up in a double or triple knot, but if the top of the training shoe had about 1cm or so of added flex, because it wasn't being pushed down with lacing, that might give the shin / ankle area of the foot a little more ability to flex itself.

You've nothing to lose trying this, because you're not going to loosen the shoes so much they might come off or wobble and cause you a potentially dangerous loss of balance :).
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Bossman, I had actually just changed shoelaces to do just that, I saw it in Pinterest and thought I would give it a try - so far so good! I just have to be caref to fur them snug enough so I have enough support going side to side.

I read this today and I think I need to post it on the wall under tv so I am staring at it during workouts:

"Your legs are not giving out. Your head is giving up. Keep going."

Most of the time during insanity workouts, I take breaks because head is telling me I can't do more. I know u can push harder (even though I probably look like I am dying :mrgreen: ). I can feel myself getting stronger, I can do more if exercises without breaks and I can push harder. It's a great feeling :D
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The main thing to remember there is a fine line between head and physicality, because a good mindset can increase physical ability, but with the bets will in the world, you can't cheat nature and if your body simply can't keep giving the extra 5% your head believes it can, after a certain time period has elapsed, then it just won't.

However a stronger mindset will almost always increase performance.
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

I finished first two weeks of Insanity :clap: I did the fit test again today and I greatly improved on 7 of the 8 moves :thumb: I am a bit confused on the one I did worse on - the only thing I can think is that I was maybe doing them a little better this time (dropping down deeper maybe?). Oh well, next time I will kill it :mrgreen: I have been trying to d 6 times per week but had to take an extra day off last night to rest knee. right knee was so swollen I couldn't even see the kneecap! It doesn't really hurt terribly. It mainly just feels tight (mostly when it is swollen) and sometimes I feel like it is just going to give out. But I'm icing it regularly and that really helps.

I am also having some hip pain - not that I am injuring it, I think I am just working out the lingering pain from horse accident from 2 years ago! It never fully healed but I think this is helping to make it stronger :) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the hip flexor stretches in the workout!

I only lost .4 pounds this week but I only have myself to blame...I went on a food binge last weekend. An emotional food binge, that is. An ex has been trying to get me back and it stressed me out to the point where I just ate and ate...I kept telling myself not to but it was like I was possessed :( but I have been working tail off so I was able to manage a small loss anyways. I'm past it, I've acknowledged it and have moved on.
musculArgirl2
VETERAN

Post by musculArgirl2 »

Glad you lost a bit this week despite the stress and eating!

2 weeks is awesome keep it up! :clap: :clap: