Resistance Bands versus DB's

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fitoverforty
VETERAN

Resistance Bands versus DB's

Post by fitoverforty »

How do using resistance bands for presses, flyes, rows, etc., compare to DB's? Is it as effective? I'm not talking about comparing it to heavy hardcore lifting, more like 10, 15, 20 lb. DB's. When I use the resistance bands I really pull them tight to get the most resistance I can out of them. Does it activate the muscles differently since it is more of a pulling & pushing motion as opposed to lifting the DB weights? I'm not trying to build any muscle, just trying to lose fat to reveal the awesome muscles i know are under there somewhere... 8)
T.P.W.
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Re: Resistance Bands versus DB's

Post by T.P.W. »

Resistance bands work in a different way as they overload the muscles more at the end of the concentric range, ie. as the tension in the band increases so does the resistance, so think of it as a barbell, as you push the bar you've got people adding weight to it, and as you lower the bar they're removing weight.

Where as with db's you're moving a constant load throughout the movement. Make sense? Bands are good for increasing maximal strength, but the amount of resistance they provide is kind of hard to quantify opposed to something like lifting chains.

If you're looking to burn fat I'd advise doing 3-4 sets, 8-12 reps with 30-60 second breaks, plus dropping the amount of carbs you consume. These should bring those awesome muscles to the front :P
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Re: Resistance Bands versus DB's

Post by fitoverforty »

T.P.W. wrote:as the tension in the band increases so does the resistance, so think of it as a barbell, as you push the bar you've got people adding weight to it, and as you lower the bar they're removing weight.
Where as with db's you're moving a constant load throughout the movement. Make sense?
Yes, that helps me understand better. I prefer working with DB's, really am falling in love with the freedom of movement and control they give me (as opposed to the circuit machines) but for the times I can't get to the gym, workouts at home consist of resistance bands & compound movements like squat with overhead press or lunge with lat raise & lunge with single arm row (I don't have any DB"s over 5lbs).
Thanks!