Start weight loss or bulking up?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

rszsmoke
STARTING OUT

Start weight loss or bulking up?

Post by rszsmoke »

So I am 5"10 and about 160 pounds. I look skinny and well i am skinny but kind of have a gut. So I am looking to get bigger. But I don't know if I should first try to get rid of before trying to bulk up or if I should just start trying to bulk up and the gut will go away?
Being about 160 at 5'10 I think that is a normal weight however if anyone looks at me I look like a stick however all weight is in
rszsmoke
STARTING OUT

Re: Start weight loss or bulking up?

Post by rszsmoke »

What do you suggest for work out? Just Cardio. Or lift and do cardio?

Just to clarify if someone saw me they will call me skinny and is nowhere near big but it isnt flat
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Maybe this kind of system might work for you. It's something I've posted before.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.

As for the training you could do a schedule something like this, which is all bodyweighted.

Squats, 2 sets, 10 reps

Lunges, 2 sets, 10 reps

Good Mornings, 2 sets, 10 reps

Bent over Rows, 2 sets, 10 reps

Vertical Flyes, 2 sets, 10 reps

Shrugs, 2 sets, 10 reps

Planks 30 seconds.

In relation to the training ideas I gave you above, your bodyweight workouts and cardio schedule could look something like this.

Day 1. Bodyweight

Day 2. Cardio

Day 3. Bodyweight

Day 4. Day off

Day 5. Cardio

Day 6. Bodyweight

Day 7. Day off.

This prevents you doing 5 days straight and 2 days of nothing, as I think that's allowing too much consecutive taxation and 2 days of your body doing nothing, slowly starting to adjust to it, before 5 days of grind again, which might take the edge off progress potential, so the 5 split days should be better for you.

If you can get in a Gym, then the bodyweighted system listed above, would be replaced with actual artificial weight like dumbells and barbells and an instructor may give you something similar to what I gave you in terms of the workout schedule and possibly added cardio mixed in during the week as well.

If you don't want to go to a gym or can't for some reason, try the system I prescribed above and see how that goes. I'm sure that coupled with the meal plan you'll be able to start getting somewhere.
stellamandy96
STARTING OUT

Post by stellamandy96 »

In order to reduce the fat you need to follow some tips. Below are the few tips which I will follow every day.

1. Getting Started On a Diet - Prior to starting on a diet, you need to make sure that you are fully committed about it.
2. Gather As Much Information As You Can - If you have fully decided that dieting is the way to go in order to lose weight, and then you should gather as much information as you can.
3. Determine More Reasons to Go On a Diet.
4. Don’t View Dieting As Something Difficult To Do
5. Choosing Your Diet Program - There are lots of programs about dieting that are available today. However, proper selection is one of the keys in attaining success on it.
6. Get the Support That You Need - There is no need to be alone when it comes to dieting. Although other members of your family may not follow a diet, they can actually support you on it, so that you would be able to attain your goals.
7. Make Dieting Easier For You to Do - Some people may find the first few days of dieting to be quite difficult. Thus, you should come up with a solution to make it easier for you.
8. Eat Only If You Are Really Hungry - There are times when a person eats when he is not hungry. There are many possible reasons behind this, which can include stress, emotions, habit, and such.
9. MSG Filled Foods - There are lots of food items that are filled with MSG these days. Most of the foods that contain this substance are those that are highly processed.
10. Get Enough Rest - When you are well rested, your body would be able to do its work in repairing damage tissues, and such. However, if you do the opposite, then it can make you gain more weight.
11. Focus on Fiber - In coming up with your own diet program, you should eat foods that are loaded with fiber.
12. Find a More Personalized Program - If you want to follow a certain diet program to lose weight, it is best to find one that is going to be created just for you.
13. Become More Conscious Of Calories - In achieving weight loss, you need to provide your body with lesser amounts of calories, and burning more of it.
14. Avoid Soda Drinks - Sodas are loaded with calories, which can result to faster weight gain. Although there are diet sodas available, they are actually still loaded with empty calories and chemicals, which are not good for your health.
15. Eat to Survive and Not the Other Way Around - Eating should be done in order for you to live. In other words, you should view eating, as something that you need to do, in order to provide your body with adequate amounts of nutrients in order for it to maintain its health. You should avoid thinking that you are living to eat, since that can get you to gain weight in no time.
16. Avoid Fast Food Chains
17. Eat Foods That Are Low In Calorie and Are Harder To Process
18. Eat slower - When you eat fast, the tendency is that, you would be able to consume more foods than you really need. Thus, it is best to eat at a slower rate.
19. If You Eat Breakfast, Eat This - What do most people eat for breakfast? Sugar, sugar and more sugar! Just look at all the sugary cereals out there. Doughnuts, pastries, bagels. Way too many carbs. This causes an insulin spike and gives you that mid morning crash. If you are eating breakfast, make sure that it consists of proteins and healthy fats such as eggs and bacon.
20. Don’t Drink a Lot of Water or Other Drinks with a Meal.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

stellamandy96 wrote: 16. Avoid Fast Food Chains

(Avoid unhealthy fast food chain options. As long as people are aware that some fast food chains offer sensible options, you can go there without having the options of either eating crap or going hungry.)

19. If You Eat Breakfast, Eat This - What do most people eat for breakfast? Sugar, sugar and more sugar! Just look at all the sugary cereals out there. Doughnuts, pastries, bagels. Way too many carbs. This causes an insulin spike and gives you that mid morning crash. If you are eating breakfast, make sure that it consists of proteins and healthy fats such as eggs and bacon.

(I presume you're not advocating zero carb breakfasts, as that is not good for peoples blood sugar elevation when it's low and could affect brain performance and concentration.)

20. Don’t Drink a Lot of Water or Other Drinks with a Meal.

(Water consumption before a meal has been shown to aid weight loss, because it has a stomach expanding quality, meaning when someone eats a big meal, they will feel fuller quicker.

I personally don't reccomend this myself, although if anyone asked me about it as a viable option, I wouldn't advise against it either.)
marcolaiti
STARTING OUT

Post by marcolaiti »

I had a very similar problem. I used to be 6'0" 155 lbs. and all muscle, But I just looked like another skinny guy. In the past two months I have jumped up to 170 lbs. all muscle. I did not cut out cardio! I am working on a blog post right now about how I put on so much muscle so fast. I should be posting sometime tonight. Check it out. I would definitely recommend it to you since you are having a similar problem I had for years.

The blog is A Better Life: Fitness and Food on Blogger.

betterlifefitnessandfood dot blogspot dot com