Arms exercises

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Edvard
STARTING OUT

Arms exercises

Post by Edvard »

Hello everybody, i'm new to fitness and i would like to ask you guys about biceps exercises. All I have are just 2 dumbbells each 1 kg. Basically, what I do, is just take both of them in one hand and do biceps curls. I can definetely "feel" something after 15 curls, so as you can understand, I'm not trained. question is - what exercises can I do and will I gain any muscle doing exercises with 2 kg dumbbells?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Arms exercises

Post by Boss Man »

You'll get a bit more benefit with 2kg ones, espeically if you work both arms at once, instead of alternating.

You can vary what you do, for example curls can be done with a 90 or 180 degree twist.

You can also do things like hammer curls, or curls where your arms are pointing out at a 10-2 position.

Hammers can also be done with a twist, where you start with a pronated hand position and then twist so the palms face each other before lowering.

There's a version of these where you do the same thing, but move the arm as well slightly so the dumbell ends up over the chest, but you'd do that alternating the arms, not in tandem. I think think they're alled pinwheel or firemans curls, I don't recall.

You can also do concentration curls which require a seated position, or you can do normal curls in a sitting position as well.

You can also do zottman curls where you curl as normal, but then switch the hands from a supinated to a pronated position and lower back down, then switch back to the supinated position and repeat for the desired rep numbers.

These are done with both hands at once.
Tallgirll22T
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by Tallgirll22T »

I have seen people lying on their backs doing biceps curls or reverse curls. I was never sure how to do the form properly, so I haven't tried it, but it may be something you can look into. Also, if you join a gym, they should have a preacher bench. You can do biceps curls off a preacher bench to really target them. Someone at the gym should be able to show you that.
Just remember you can't just spot treat one area. Try incorporating some other moves to hit your whole upper body. Planks and push ups are great. All I use is a set of dumbells and own body weight when I work out at home.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I tried cable bicep curls once lying on back. Never again. The cable gets too close to the groin area for comfort.