When is best to exercise?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

SandersL
STARTING OUT

When is best to exercise?

Post by SandersL »

Is there any difference between exercising in the morning, and exercising in the evening?

I'm finding that if I exercise in the morning, I am usually more awake, however become tired in the afternoon and towards the evening.
If I exercise in the evening, I struggle to get to sleep!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: When is best to exercise?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi there Sanders, good to talk to you.

There's not much of a difference, although some have speculated in the past that the best time to workout is somewhere between 2PM and 5PM, because if you had a waking time of somewhere between 6AM and 9AM, you'd be around midway between waking time and bedtime, so your body should be most alert and you'll have had 2-4 meals by then.

Training in the morning before eating has been known to promote dizzy spells in people and that makes sense, as you'd be doing blood sugar lowering things when your blood sugar is already lowered, after a prolonged absence of caloric intake during sleep.

However adequate nutrition beforehand should prevent this.

You may find if you can training 1-2 hours earlier in the evening might help with the sleep issues, but as long as you're properly fueled in the mornings, before workouts, then you need not worry and can continue to do what you're already doing.
dazpeck1
STARTING OUT

Post by dazpeck1 »

It's difficult to fit your fitness regime in at the ideal times, depending of course on what work you do. I've just started shift work so now I try to start it before night shift starts, around 5pm. Trouble is, I'm sleeping until 3pm so its not ideal. I've tried going after night shifts finish, round 8am, but I am just too shattered and feel light headed. I need to find a better solution somehow. This is the biggest drawback with shift work for me.

Last Thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16414
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

I like to exercise soon after waking up to get it out of the way for the rest of the day. If you like to walk, run or bike outside, it's best to get out of bed in the morning, use the bathroom, eat a few bites of nuts or a fruit then do your exercise then come home and eat a full breakfast to avoid the chance of getting stuck outside somewhere having problems with waste building up too much.
jocko2112
STARTING OUT

Post by jocko2112 »

I think it is best once you have some food in your system. Ultimately if you can fit it in any time it is better than not doing it of course. I prefer the afternoons, but mornings before you start your day can keep the metabolism firing all day too.
fitlouisa
STARTING OUT

Post by fitlouisa »

I have seen all sorts of things written about one being better than the other, I think as long as you fit it in at some point in your day then that's good.
I used to really struggle to workout in the evening after a long work day but I have made it part of routine, it's what works for you works best.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Absolutely and even if working out in the afternoon might represent the best time to do it, as I eluded to based on things I read, but have no concrete evidence of, it's not always feasible for some to do it, so it has to be fitted in at a convenient time.

Some say don't work out after a big meal, but personally when I train in the evening, I wouldn't work out on the remaining sustenance of a small snack in the afternoon, nor would I fill up with something light, then afterwards do the same thing. I'd get whatever sustenance I felt necessary and then afterwards a bit more and I'm fine with that.
ArielBrazeau
STARTING OUT

Post by ArielBrazeau »

Im not an expert in it,but I reckon,..Morning exercise is the best option because, After the sleep over the full night,the body is loosened and relaxed. And according to calories intake of the day, you may never starts the regular intake. So exercise in that time will give you the best possible results..
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Possibly yes, but you have to fuel right or you may get dizzy spells as blood sugar is low and muscle glycogen levels will be depleted and dietary energy reserves would be low or non-existent.

Fasted cardio should not be on the agenda put it that way, or dizzy spells, as a trainer who used to post here said, could be a reality.
Alabama 1
REGULAR

Post by Alabama 1 »

I always exercise in the morning . A habit that I got when I went to a gym . I don't know if it's better for you but it works out better for me . If I don't the real life stuff can get in the way. What ever works for you is what is right for you.
Manzer12
STARTING OUT

Post by Manzer12 »

For me I always follow in the morning shift. And I think it's works best so far. Don't go to the GYM at the evening.
oatsandsquats
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by oatsandsquats »

SandersL wrote:Is there any difference between exercising in the morning, and exercising in the evening?

I'm finding that if I exercise in the morning, I am usually more awake, however become tired in the afternoon and towards the evening.
If I exercise in the evening, I struggle to get to sleep!
I always go for a morning pump - keeps me energized the whole day :)
RjMaan
STARTING OUT

Post by RjMaan »

I think is no proper timing to exercise but morning is best.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Research from years ago indicated that a time between around 1PM and 5PM might be best, as that is when the body is most alert, at a time after it has fully woken and before it starts winding down.
tylerr
STARTING OUT

Post by tylerr »

It's an individual thing go when you can get the best workout.......
however you are depriving yourself of a very important tool in bb and that is sleep! so if your not getting it IMO I would give the AM a try,
I workout in the morning and it's a great way to start the day and does have benefits.