More exercise I do the more weight I'm gaining

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Sophsssssss
STARTING OUT

More exercise I do the more weight I'm gaining

Post by Sophsssssss »

I was 12 stone and exercised and eating healthy
In 5 months lost 2 stone .. Got to 9.8.... Then started exercing more and harder and pushing myself more ... But by doing this I put on 3 pounds .. Now I'm 9.11!!! For working out harder !!! Any ideas please .... Really upset '!' But refuse to give in !!! Gonna keep pushing myself .... Please any help or advise would be Amazing ......... Sophs
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: More exercise I do the more weight I'm gaining

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Soph, good to talk to you.

Basically you could be burning muscle. 1lb of extra muscle can burn an extra 45-50 calories a day and doing too much cardio could be costing you muscle, thereby increasing your bodies ability to regain some weight.

I'm assuming the weight gain is not related to your TOM, or some side effect of a medication.

However did you alter your diet around about the time you started exercising harder?

Also did you remember to weigh around the same time?

The best time to weigh is once a week, first thing in the morning after a toilet trip.

Don't be downhearted okay and be proud of yourself for all you've done so far, because you should be. and personally I think you are doing great and I'M PROUD OF YOU, so keep up the hard work, stay positive and remember the bigger picture, because it's not primarily about how your body looks, but how it works yeah :).

If you want to confirm any of the things I asked then feel free, but if not then that's your decision :).
TotalCoaching
STARTING OUT

Post by TotalCoaching »

It could be that you're gaining muscle. As mentioned above, you should probably only weigh yourself once a week, at the same time and wearing similar clothing. More importantly, how do you feel? Does working out make you feel better? If it does, that's great! Keep going!
jgerard
STARTING OUT

Post by jgerard »

Hey Soph,

Definitely don't give up and don't always rely on the scale! As totalcoaching said, you could be gaining muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat so if you're gaining muscle the number on the scale won't necessarily go down! As long as you're healthy and feel good that's what matters most so keep pushing!
jens3n
STARTING OUT

Post by jens3n »

weight tends to go up and down about 1-3 kg every day / couple days, but when I do an average its always balances out. And as people have said don't be too focused on weight because muscle weighs more than fat. Body fat % tells you more than BMI
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

jgerard wrote:Muscle weighs more than fat
Ah that old chestnut. However that's only true if you compare disproportionate amounts, but just like a tonne of feathers weighs as much as a tonne of granite or sand, so 1lb of muscle weighs as much as 1lb of fat, unless you compare equal weights in differing environments such as weightlessness or in water.

For muscle to weigh more than fat, it must be a higher amount than the amount of fat compared to it.
Wvack
STARTING OUT

Post by Wvack »

1 pound of fat takes up more space than 1 pound of muscle though :)
Which means than 1 cubicinch of muscle weighs more than 1 cubicinch of fat :)
Oksana Slavska
STARTING OUT

Post by Oksana Slavska »

Hi Soph!
Don't worry about weight. Muscles are heavy ;) Look into the mirror. If you see changes and you like them, everything is going well :)
I offer you to take pictures "before" and "after". That will show you more then scales.
:thumb:
jgerard
STARTING OUT

Post by jgerard »

Boss Man wrote:
jgerard wrote:Muscle weighs more than fat
Ah that old chestnut. However that's only true if you compare disproportionate amounts, but just like a tonne of feathers weighs as much as a tonne of granite or sand, so 1lb of muscle weighs as much as 1lb of fat, unless you compare equal weights in differing environments such as weightlessness or in water.

For muscle to weigh more than fat, it must be a higher amount than the amount of fat compared to it.
Hm, I never thought of it that way- good to know thanks for the info
Cassandraus
STARTING OUT

Post by Cassandraus »

If you are gaining weight even after doing exercise than you are doing wrong exercise. You need to consult experts who can guide you the proper diet schedule.

You have to control your diet also.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Well then if they are doing the wrong exercise, what would a diet consultant be able to do for them?

A personal trainer or gym instructor would be the person to see, but if the diet was wrong, then maybe a dietitian would be the person to see. I'm not criticising, I'm just trying to be objective.