Which workout program?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ReDRUm119
STARTING OUT

Which workout program?

Post by ReDRUm119 »

I see Arnolds blueprint to cut / Kris Gethen 12 week trainer / Jim Stopanni workout to shred programs from bodybuilding com

I see some of them have all the workouts except some have traps and abs, others don't have abs and shoulders but have traps. I'm wondering If I should be working it every single part of body? If I should just grab a program, then add traps / abs / shoulders to it, if it is missing the workout.

Also I don't have a machine at home to do certain workouts such as triceps push down and such.

Do these work good and actually worth buying?

I thought about using a wheelie and buying a cord and make own, but only go in 1 direction.

The bands could be used to put at the bottom or top for both type of workouts.

Worth the investment?

amazon >-- copy this after amazon. c o m --> Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Exercise/dp/7245456313/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1449928597&sr=8-16&keywords=fitness
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Which workout program?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Redrum good to talk to you.

They are a reasonable investment and you can do more than the exercise pictures show with those, like bent over rows, romanian deadlifts and tricep extensions as well, but you definitely need to be targeting you whole body and I'd suggest a workout designed to do just that 3x a week every other day, so you'd need to incorporate lower body stuff that would require you to not use the bands, but there's enough upper body stuff you could do with that, including the shoulder presses, curls and seated rows shown in the pictures, although why there needed to be a picture of a female holding some bands I don't know, as that's not much of a workout.
ReDRUm119
STARTING OUT

Post by ReDRUm119 »

Boss Man wrote:Hi Redrum good to talk to you.

They are a reasonable investment and you can do more than the exercise pictures show with those, like bent over rows, romanian deadlifts and tricep extensions as well, but you definitely need to be targeting you whole body and I'd suggest a workout designed to do just that 3x a week every other day, so you'd need to incorporate lower body stuff that would require you to not use the bands, but there's enough upper body stuff you could do with that, including the shoulder presses, curls and seated rows shown in the pictures, although why there needed to be a picture of a female holding some bands I don't know, as that's not much of a workout.
So buying them is a good investment.

I don't need to use the workout routines in the videos where guys hook them up below their shoes and act like their doing squats? Yeah, I have a bar and would rather squat than do that.

Thanks a lot! I wanted to make sure I do every exercise in the program, to make sure I work on every muscle and hopefully get a nice figure with abs and nice chest like the guys in fitness magazines. I don't want to get real big though, more of wanting to look cut.

I'm 6'2 and 195 pounds atm, I'm weak as hell... calves are only real muscle and I think they're too big, even below the calf where leg is, looked kinda thick. Not fat looking, When I was 169 pounds a year ago, legs and calves looked pretty big(not real muscular)...I'm curious how much I would have to weigh to have normal looking legs. 160? 6'2 and 160 pounds is low right? With no muscle.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The bands can be useful yes, but if you have dumbbells you might want to favour those over the bands, as the ability to scale up the forces you receive is better, because higher weight dumbbells will do this, whereas bands just provide the same forces every time.
ReDRUm119
STARTING OUT

Post by ReDRUm119 »

Boss Man wrote:The bands can be useful yes, but if you have dumbbells you might want to favour those over the bands, as the ability to scale up the forces you receive is better, because higher weight dumbbells will do this, whereas bands just provide the same forces every time.
I need to find the alternative to the machine for dumbbells. I try to look for some and couldn't find it.

Like triceps curl downs. How would I do that with dumbbells?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You can do stuff with dumbbells for triceps anyway like extensions, or alternatively do dips and put a dumbbell on your lap.
ReDRUm119
STARTING OUT

Post by ReDRUm119 »

Boss Man wrote:You can do stuff with dumbbells for triceps anyway like extensions, or alternatively do dips and put a dumbbell on your lap.

Alright, I'll do that then. I'll give you a little break down of myself.

I'm 6'2, 195 pounds atm. I've been super slobby the past 2 years eating whatever I want.

best weight was 170, 6'2 and I looked good with a shirt off for not having any muscle tone. I really enjoyed it and felt comfortable.

highest weight was 270 at the age of 15. I got a job at 17 and burned off 40 pounds. 3 years later I got into working out with some buddies who were football players and ask if I wanted to join. I said sure, why not?

I also hit the punching bag for 30-45 minutes(Working out stoned is favorite). I did muay thai until I was 9. I always loved martial arts so. I plan on hitting personal 100 pound bag every day too. I love doing it.

I usually eat, grapes / 2 eggs on bun / chicken/fish and rice or mashed potatoes for dinner.

I'm 195 at the moment and started working out hardcore for the past week. Got out of bull**** lazy mindset, I also started drinking water 2 months ago to get into the mindset. I planned to start losing some weight when I started water.

I've been so sore the past 8 days. I did a lot of work outs, from a professional program, but told to stick to easy which I will to build muscle. I've decided to rest the past 3 days and just run 1 and 1/2 miles instead(I run a mile a day, even if I lift weights).

If you need a picture I could do it, but I really don't care to post it. Only if it's going to help me lose/build muscle. I could post a picture of what I want to look like. calves are only muscle, and legs(not thigh) has always been pretty big(fat?).

I want muscle to look like something of a abercrombie model. Not big muscles, I just want to look real defined and cut. Nice abs. I don't want to be hulkish looking(nothing wrong with it), which how I seem like I'm a big boned guy, I probably would look like a linebacker.

I don't get round when I get fat, I get a little wide, no titties popping out..
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

What sort of program were you doing at the time and have you any way to replicate that?
ReDRUm119
STARTING OUT

Post by ReDRUm119 »

Boss Man wrote:What sort of program were you doing at the time and have you any way to replicate that?
I had a gym membership at the time. I did 45 minutes worth of workouts( I didn't gain much muscle to notice)

I was 240ish at the time, and ran a mile and did 30 minutes of cardio on a punching bag.

I ate japanese yamato's express food (white rice, chicken, sweet carrots, shrimp sauce). Half of the plate after workout, half at night if I got a tad hungry at night.

I ended up getting down to 169 pounds, which I felt confident and comfortable more than ever....I wasn't so skinny that ribs poked out, but I looked slimmed with tight skin. No love handles or ..

I planned on trying to do the same thing, but stick with a good workout program for beginners to gain muscle.

I don't know if I want to lose enough weight to feel comfortable then build muscle, or start with building muscle now while at 195, 6 ft 2.

I don't want to eat a ton of meat for muscle building, while trying to cut calories for weight loss.

I drink nothing but water, and eat 1 decent size meal a day. I usually eat cut of grapes in the morning or an orange, 2-3 eggs on a bun after workout, and baked chicken/fish with potatoes or rice for dinner...Sometimes I'll eat potatoes and rice at the same time if I'm real hungry.

I'm looking up good recipes for making a more variety of chicken or fish meals to eat with a new pressure cooker I got that cooks the shit out of good food. I made some chicken and dumpling and it cooked them really good. I can imagine how many different meals I can cook with that. Especially cooking some chicken for 6 hours and having real nice soft lean meat.

So, get to 180 pounds then work out? Or work out while dieting and eat a lot of meat for muscle building?

I would like to get down to a good weight more than anything, so I can feel comfortable talking to girls(broke up with gf 8 months ago and got depressed and gained weight).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

1lb of added muscle can burn an extra 45-50 calories a day, so bulking is perfectly fine for your needs, as it would facilitate this, but you wouldn't necessarily get a massive amount if you regulated your calories.

I would suggest having 2,500 calories a day on workout days and around 2,200 on non-workout days.

You would then be able to increase the calories on workout days using either of these methods.

5g protein, 5g carbs, 1g fat, (49 calories), extra per meal, based on 6 meals a day.

5g protein, 3-4g fat, (47-56 calories approx), extra per meal based on 6 meals a day.

Then it would be up to you to decide what might work best for you.

I would say on the training if it's working for now stick with it and see where it goes.