Advice for Kettlebell workouts

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Fenic01
STARTING OUT

Advice for Kettlebell workouts

Post by Fenic01 »

Hi All,

I'm new to fitness and forums so please bear with me. (Not sure if this question is in the right place)

I've lost 2st with dieting alone starting at over 21st, and want something i can do at home to start building fitness and carry on loosing weight.

Are kettlebells a good choice and if they are what weights (kg) should i start with and best exercises for beginners?

Any advice welcome, thanks
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Advice for Kettlebell workouts

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Fenic good to talk to you.

Kettlebell's are a decent choice and you would only need kettlebell's of less than 10kg to start with, so just a few pairs of kettlebell's of differing weights, I:E: 2kg, 4kg, 6kg, 8kg.

Movements like kettlebell swings, kettlebell squats, kettlebell upright rows etc would be adequate to help you get started along with other movements.

You might find Youtube or sites Exrx useful for videos showing you form / movement on kettlebell exercises.
Fenic01
STARTING OUT

Post by Fenic01 »

Thanks for the reply Boss Man,

Im ordering them now just too much choice and didnt know best weights to start with.

Last question i have which i forgot to ask was how long should i keep the workouts and how many days a week? ive seen you tube videos with 15 mins workouts but thought that may be too short.

Thanks for your help
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Realistically you'd only need 3 days max with them if you're hitting the whole body in one session.
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

Would just like to add some other awesome exercises you can do with kettlebells:

Walking or stationary lunges
KB squats/goblet squats- makes it harder when you elevate your feet on platforms!
Turkish get ups
push ups with KB row
bent over single arm row
BitGid
STARTING OUT

Post by BitGid »

I have the Ryan Shanahan dvd set it is very very good.

I use a 2kg and 5kg kettlebell which sounds light but isn’t with some of the exercises. Workouts are circa 20 minutes initially, well thought out to work different muscle groups and DVD’s for specific areas if you want to go that way.

If you are starting from scratch I would highly recommend it as each workout starts with a warm up and ends with a warm down with full instruction in between.
Jon