Correct Form of Squats and Good Morning

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

bgq
STARTING OUT

Correct Form of Squats and Good Morning

Post by bgq »

Hi,

Actually I have two questions. I am not sure if it is appropriate to ask them both in a single post. Please excuse me if there is an issue about this.

About the questions:

1) I usually do squats so that knees do not overpass toes, and back and neck form a stiff straight line. The only problem is that I lean forward during squatting (keeping back and neck straight). Is there any risk of injury due to leaning forward during squats while keeping back and neck straight?

2) I simply cannot do full range good morning without rounding back. I start bending with back and neck straight, but after some point back starts to round (even without any weights). Fortunately, I can feel the point where back starts to round . Is it good to do good mornings with only the half range of motion in order to keep the back straight? I am thinking to train myself to get the necessary mobility by bending at maximum possible angle keeping back straight and hold for this position for 30 seconds or so. Is this useful?

Thanks a lot, I appreciate any replies.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Re: Correct Form of Squats and Good Morning

Post by Fitafter50 »

On the squats, I am not sure if you are saying you are leaning forward because in your weight is in your toes, or just that you can't keep your body totally upright when you squat. If you think about keeping your weight in your heels and sitting back as if into a chair, you should be fine. It's pretty much impossible to do a deep squat without hinging somewhat forward at the hips, but you shouldn't be bent forward with your shoulders out past your toes.

On the Good Morning, to keep your back from rounding, think about bringing your shoulder blades down and together before you start your hip hinge. . And definitely don't add weight until you get the form down.

Do you have access to a personal trainer or physical therapist who could evaluate your form?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

In terms of the anterior tilt, then perhaps it may be that you're not getting enough protrusion of the glutes at the back, so it may be that if you focus more on pushing the glutes out at the back a bit more you may remove or reduce the level of tilt you experience.

It of course could also be down to the type of squats you are doing, whether it's smith squats, olympic or flat bar squats, dumbbell squats, goblet squats, box squats, or sumo squats.

As Fit said, perhaps you could get a PT to assess form and see where you might be going wrong if indeed there is anything wrong with what you're doing.

The main thing is you're not hyper-extending over the toes, as that can increase the risk of knee problems in the long-term, so that is a good thing.
bgq
STARTING OUT

Post by bgq »

Thanks a lot.

I usually do dumbbells' squat while holding the dumbbells at the sides.

I don't have any contact with any personal trainer. But I do have an appointment with a physiotherapist in the next days for other reason. I understood from the replies that physiotherapists are qualified to assess the forms of exercises. Isn't it? So I may ask him about form.