Best way to protect lower back? Replace shoulder press?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Darkman
STARTING OUT

Best way to protect lower back? Replace shoulder press?

Post by Darkman »

Hi there, I'm new to this forum but it looks hoppin'. I was looking for some advice...

I keep putting lower back out, and I suspect standing dumbell shoulder press has something to do with it. The thing is, what can I replace it with?
Would sitting down instead of standing protect back a bit? Or should I replace it altogether maybe with chin ups and pull ups? I have a chin up bar and I'm thinking an exercise like that avoids all back pressure but hits the shoulders.

Has anyone been in this situation or has ideas? I'm getting scared of injuring back again because it takes so long to get better each time!

Thank you.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Best way to protect lower back? Replace shoulder press?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Darkman, good to speak with you.

I would try the seated variant and see how you get on, but I warn you that a seated variant requires you to lower your weight slightly, belief has been for years is that the imparted forces from the weight used, cannot be channeled in part down the length of the body owing to the kinked shape of the human body when seated, so this could cause more stress and pressure on the upper body in terms of how difficult it would feel compared to the standing variant when the same weight is used.

I would suggest therefore you lower the weight so that each dumbbells is 6kg, 13.2lbs lighter and try that for 1 set and if needs be increase a little with each set until you find the ideal weight level for your needs, as going for the same weight level on the seated variant could cause you to struggle and shoulder related exercises are even more not the sort of thing you want to be struggling on versus arm based exercises, when you're sitting down.
Darkman
STARTING OUT

Post by Darkman »

Thanks Boss Man. I guess that is the best answer, to try and see. I will take your advice on lessening the weight. Maybe I'll increase reps or something to compensate if it seems too easy. I aim to get back into it slowly though, because tbh I am scared by the thought of more back problems :wowzer:
But I don't want to waste away either.

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If it seems a bit easy when you try it, then add a bit more weight rather than just increase reps,