Pull-Ups or Pull-Downs which one is best | Odeta Stuikys Rose

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

odeta-stuikys-rose
STARTING OUT

Pull-Ups or Pull-Downs which one is best | Odeta Stuikys Rose

Post by odeta-stuikys-rose »

Hey guy’s,
Is there any advantage of doing pull-ups over pull-downs? I am doing pull-downs from last 1 month but friend told me to do pull-ups for better result but I found pull-ups harder then pull-downs because it’s affected by body weight.
Please share your comments

Thanks
Odeta Stuikys Rose
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Pull-Ups or Pull-Downs which one is best | Odeta Stuikys Rose

Post by Boss Man »

Pull ups and pull downs are very different animals in a way, because one is utilising mostly body weight, the other is utilising artificial weight.

You can get a weightlifting belt with a chain on it and attach a dumbbell or free weight to the belt using the chain to do pull-ups, but with pull-ups you have to work against the gravitational pull with pull-downs you don't.

Pull-ups can also be done by using a rubber band as a means of support.

You could try doing pull-downs using a rope, then it would negate the need for pulling a bar behind your head as you can use a rope grip and separate the two parts of the rope, so you can keep your arms and shoulders in a more natural position, with no need for forward tilting of the neck and cervical vertebrae.

So you might find doing the pull-ups with a rubber band more effective, until you can gain enough strength to get at least 3-4 pull-ups without one.
odeta-stuikys-rose
STARTING OUT

Re: Pull-Ups or Pull-Downs which one is best | Odeta Stuikys Rose

Post by odeta-stuikys-rose »

Boss Man wrote:Pull ups and pull downs are very different animals in a way, because one is utilising mostly body weight, the other is utilising artificial weight.

You can get a weightlifting belt with a chain on it and attach a dumbbell or free weight to the belt using the chain to do pull-ups, but with pull-ups you have to work against the gravitational pull with pull-downs you don't.

Pull-ups can also be done by using a rubber band as a means of support.

You could try doing pull-downs using a rope, then it would negate the need for pulling a bar behind your head as you can use a rope grip and separate the two parts of the rope, so you can keep your arms and shoulders in a more natural position, with no need for forward tilting of the neck and cervical vertebrae.

So you might find doing the pull-ups with a rubber band more effective, until you can gain enough strength to get at least 3-4 pull-ups without one.

Thank you Boss Man I will definitely use your advice.