Newbie - Working on pecs at home - How long I do per day?

Questions or concerns about specific exercises? Post them here!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Peepo
STARTING OUT

Newbie - Working on pecs at home - How long I do per day?

Post by Peepo »

Hello, Ive recently decided to do some work on pectotal muscles. I'll be doing it at home with some dumbells. Ive gotten some exercises of this website which was very helpful :)
What I want to know is how many minutes per day should I aim to do, and roughly how many weeks/months will it take to start to see the changes?
Packard
VETERAN

Re: Newbie - Working on pecs at home - How long I do per day

Post by Packard »

Peepo wrote:Hello, Ive recently decided to do some work on pectotal muscles. I'll be doing it at home with some dumbells. Ive gotten some exercises of this website which was very helpful :)
What I want to know is how many minutes per day should I aim to do, and roughly how many weeks/months will it take to start to see the changes?
Pectorals.

Start with push-ups. Close, medium and wide hand positions.
RK19
REGULAR

Post by RK19 »

pernickity packard?

theres about a million variations of chest exercises with dumbbells, but i would also say start with the pushups- normal,decline,wide grip, narrow grip etc.
RK19
REGULAR

Post by RK19 »

Lesplease wrote:persnickety
maybe in america, here in scotland its spelt pernickety
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

RK19 wrote:
Lesplease wrote:persnickety
maybe in america, here in scotland its spelt pernickety
Yup. The Europeans screw up a lot of words--England, Scottland and Ireland stand above all in those matters.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Packard wrote:Scottland
So do Americans it would seems :wink: :wink:

By the way, nice picture of a European actor :P :P

It's not screwing them up, it's evolving them into a more modern day parlance. You see the British were already the advanced people in the world, so little old America had to spend time and money, improving it's population, urban sprawl, power, wealth and technology, which is obviously something you would expect burgeoning societies to do.

One day, they'll stop trying to become the most hyper-mega-global force in the universe, for 5 minutes and tackle the minor inadequacies in their language.

However America reminds of that game Top Trumps. Even the Top Trump was sometimes trumped itself. Never the perfect playing card :wink:.
Peepo
STARTING OUT

Post by Peepo »

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I have to admit I cant do pressups, I cant even do one! lol How can I build up to doing press-ups? Or can I do pecks with the dumbells rather than pressups?
Thanks
RK19
REGULAR

Post by RK19 »

good to see you got back bossman :lol:
Peepo
STARTING OUT

Post by Peepo »

Im a girl btw, I dont know if that makes any difference?
How many minutes of dumbells should I do per day for me to eventually see results, 30 minutes perhaps?
Thanks
Packard
VETERAN

Post by Packard »

Peepo wrote:Im a girl btw, I dont know if that makes any difference?
How many minutes of dumbells should I do per day for me to eventually see results, 30 minutes perhaps?
Thanks
How much you train depends 100% on how you feel when you train the next time.

If you feel fully rested, then you can add more reps, sets or exercises.

If you feel some residual weariness you should either cut back or stay at the same level.

Ideally you should adjust your workouts so that you are "just" fully rested for the next workout.

This rarely happens, so scheduling an extra rest day every once in a while to allow your body to catch up on its rest is a good idea.
RK19
REGULAR

Post by RK19 »

Peepo wrote:How many minutes of dumbells should I do per day for me to eventually see results, 30 minutes perhaps?
Thanks
get out of that frame of mind,its about quality not quantity.

you will only get out of something what you put into it, and lifting db,s for 30 mins wont get you far. as stated earlier keep working on those pressups,learn to use your own weight before using external weights.
Peepo
STARTING OUT

Post by Peepo »

Hmm, Maybe Im missing the point? I cant do pressups because arms are weak & body big. Yet I can lift dumbells no problem & can feel it working the pec muscles. So to work pecs via pushups I would first need to strengthen arms, which adds even more time to the ammount of time its going to take before I can begin to work pecs.
Are you saying that pushups are better exercises to work pecs & that I should learn how to do them as the dumbell exercises dont do much?
friend showed me today how to do press ups with knees on the floor, I guess I could do that.
Peepo
STARTING OUT

Re: Newbie - Working on pecs at home - How long I do per day

Post by Peepo »

Packard wrote:
Peepo wrote:Hello, Ive recently decided to do some work on pectotal muscles. I'll be doing it at home with some dumbells. Ive gotten some exercises of this website which was very helpful :)
Pectorals.

Start with push-ups. Close, medium and wide hand positions.
Yes I know its pectorals. Im just a lazy arse typist who doesnt correct typos :D
RK19
REGULAR

Re: Newbie - Working on pecs at home - How long I do per day?

Post by RK19 »

yes pushups are better for you than using dbs (especially at an early stage when you should be using your own bodyweight as resistance) if you cant do proper ones yet then do the "at the knee" ones and work up to proper ones.
Peepo
STARTING OUT

Re: Newbie - Working on pecs at home - How long I do per day?

Post by Peepo »

Hello, Ive started doing them leaning on the stairs for now . As I get better I will move down to lower steps until Im on the floor. At the moment Im doing about 60 per day in 3 intervals of 20. The muscles in shoulders are hurting abit. How many do I need to do per days to have some effect on pecs?
Thanks