How much can i improve myself in 10 weeks?

Post your photos and show everyone the progress you have made with your physique!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Tech_2010
STARTING OUT

How much can i improve myself in 10 weeks?

Post by Tech_2010 »

Hey all. I've been wanting it get in shape for a long time, but never had the drive too; however now I do. In 10 weeks im moving to new college in a new town with new people, so I ready to change who I am, both socially and physically. Ive had trouble with girls the past 3 years and want to turn luck around(however 3 years ago I was way fatter than I am now?). I told father of plans to get in shape, and look good and he says I can meet goal in time for school. I want to get 6 pack showing, or at least hinting at showing. I also want to firm up chest and eventually grow it. What im wanting from yall is to tell me what I can achieve in a 10 week period and what foods and workouts to get there. a little info on me. 21yo 5'10 175 and according to dads little xbox controller looking body fat calculator im at 10% body fat(im not sure how that actually works).
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: How much can i improve myself in 10 weeks?

Post by Boss Man »

I'm not 100% convinced by the 10% fat thing, because I'd expect to see abs, regardless of the strength, so I'd estimate you're approximately 6-8% higher than that.

What exercise are you currently doing?

What foods do you eat and what times do you eat them?
Tech_2010
STARTING OUT

Post by Tech_2010 »

I was skeptical of the 10% fat also. prior to yesterday I did no exercises, ate junk food, and ate it at horrible hours (a lot of the time I would have dinner with friends no earlier than 10pm); However the past year ive been working in a feedstore carrying bags of feed to customers cars. just last week I took a job at a sheet metal plan with brother in law. so now im caring around scrap metal all day. yesterday I started at the gym doing some chest, ab, and cycling exercises. Im going to talk to a trainer and see what he thinks I should do. I would still like your opinion as well. I believe biggest problem I will have is what I eat and drink. Im a big soda fan so I will need to break myself of that. I also hate drinking plain water. it seems like all the "healthier" drink are just as bad as sodas. so if you know of healthier drinks let me know. today I did try and do better food and drink wise. I had fruits for breakfast (6:15Am) a turkey sandwich for lunch (11:45AM) and a chicken breast for dinner (7PM). All I drank all day was a bottler of vitamin water, bottle of water, and 2 bottles of water with squeeze in flavoring. should I change that up? Ill take all the advice I can get.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You calories are too low and your meal spaces are too large.

Try this sort of thing and see how you get on. I post it sometiems for other people.

Breakfast

Option 1.

Bowl of Whole-grain Cereal and 1 rasher of Bacon, fat trimmed off and scrambled Eggs, (2 Egg Whites + Yolk)

Option 2.

Protein shake, small portion of Nuts, (excluding higher carb ones like Cashews, Chestnuts and Grapenuts), + Apple. Give the Apple 10-15 minutes to digest to improve digestion.

Snack

Option 1.

Portion of Turkey + Orange

Option 2.

Small Portion of Peanuts, some Chicken + Raw Carrott.

Lunch

Option 1.

Large Beef Sandwich with trimmings, I.E. Tomato, Lettuce, Cucumber etc.

Option 2.

Bowl of Chicken Soup, + Pot of yoghurt.

Snack

Option 1.

Turkey + Cashews

Option 2.

Ham + 2 large Tomatos

Dinner

Option 1.

Pork with mashed Potato.

Option 2.

Chicken and Rice

Option 3.

100g Halibut + Broccoli

Snack

Option 1.

Beans on Toast

Option 2.

Ham Sandwich, no trimmings.

Easy on the bread with both options.

You could add a few things to certain meals, like Sea Salt, Cracked Black Pepper, Parsley, Mustard, Herbs, Garlic.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

100% possible to drop body fat and fill out some in 10 weeks. I believe BossMan has it correct about your diet, you need to eat smaller meals more often. If i were you i would hit the weights hard everyday, moving at a fast pace (which means little rest in between sets) for 45 mins to an hour and then follow that up with at least 30 mins of fast paced cardio afterwards. Your doing good by cutting out the soda, in fact you will prob drop some weight by that alone. I add a little lemonade crystal lite to water along w/ real lemon juice, that way you don't have to use much of the crystal lite.

You should definitely see changes and i think the key is to keep at it, and maybe change your routine/diet up if you don't see progress with in a couple of weeks. Also a change in your workout's will keep your body guessing and to not get bored!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would politely disagree in part and say not hard everyday on the weights, or cardio afterwards on every occassion, as it could be too much and potentially doesn't allow for enough rest.

I would suggest he does weights for no more than 5 days on a split, with cardio perhaps on 2-3 of the 5 days, leaving 2 days free.

Otherwise do a 3 day TBT with cardio on 2 of the off days and two rest days.

Or he could do a 4 day split, with cardio after one session, though preferably cardio that stimulates any worked muscles little to none and one cardio session on an off day, with 2 days off.

In all 3 occasions, never train 5 days straight, allow for 3 days straight maximum, to keep the off days split up so you don't get a 5 days straight, 2 day off principle.
Tech_2010
STARTING OUT

Post by Tech_2010 »

Update: Had first training session with a trainer on the 28. Body fat 12%. He said I need to be eating 600 calories every 3 hours, work out 6days out of the week, and need to drink a protein shake when I wake up, after I work out, and when I go to sleep. I already have noticed a small difference since I started. muscles seem more defined.

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

If you're going to go down the shake route, you might be wise to go for one with whey and carbs in the morning and post-workout and casein at night. Casein has 8 calories per gram but whey has four, so it will be more anti-catabolic, but the other reason for this, is because you will thne be more than likely buying a powder without carbs, as most caseins I've ever heard of are carb free or virtually carb free.

Carbs can help with your sleep and have been associated with sleep before, but if you go for casein at night, you can then stipulate your own carb intake, so you could for example mix it with crushed oats, but only have around 10-20g carbs.

You may find the taste of that and posibly a whey as well, a bit uninspiring, however you could alter the taste with things like vanilla essence, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, cinnamon, honey and mocha powder, as one or more of those might pep up the taste factor if it didn't deliver, but obviously a little experimenting would be required the first few times.

From what the trainer seems to be saying, you'd be consuming around 3,000 calories over a 15 hour period, which is fine.

I'm not 100% convinced by the 6 days thing, as it might lead to overtraining, as opposed to 5 days, where you can split the off days and have 3 days training, 1 off, 2 days training, 1 off.

Certainly if he was reccmending a 6 day weights split, with the small muscle groups near the end of the week, I'd be inclined to say go 5 days, because the only difference is you'd tag biceps and triceps together as opposed to training them on seperate days.

This would however permit the kind of 5 day regime with 2 split off days I mentioned.

If however he's referring to a 3 days TBT style thing or a 4 day split, with added cardio days, then the 6 day mentality might not be a bad thing, providing the cardio isn't whacko and you were doing at most 2-3 sessions of 20-30 minute stuff, not 45-60 minutes 2-3 times a week, as too much cardio pe week, could afffect the growth rate of muscle and in a slightly more extreme scenario, hinder muscle growth, by causing a bit of muscle burning.

Muscle burning is sometimes evident to people, by a slightly funny amonnia type smell.
Alinshop
REGULAR

Post by Alinshop »

Tech_2010 wrote:Update: Had first training session with a trainer on the 28. Body fat 12%. He said I need to be eating 600 calories every 3 hours, work out 6days out of the week, and need to drink a protein shake when I wake up, after I work out, and when I go to sleep. I already have noticed a small difference since I started. muscles seem more defined.
That''s great man!! I can actually see a difference in the 2 set's of pics you posted, nice work so far. How long does each gym session last and does it include some cardio ?

Bossman- i suggested that he work out almost every day w/ a couple of rest day's thrown in (only when needed) because he has a big goal in less than 10 weeks. Guess i am used to cutting/bulking for a contest which is usually anywhere from 12- 16 weeks out. I'm not suggesting he diet/build like he would for a competition, but a young, healthy, should be able to workout almost everyday for a 10 week period, imo. :)
Last edited by Alinshop on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tech_2010
STARTING OUT

Post by Tech_2010 »

Im not exactly sure what he wants me to do. when we had the first session I asked him to write down what I should do. he wrote down chest/back Monday, cardio Tuesday and Thursday, arms/shoulders Wednesday, Friday legs. but he stopped and said to do this instead chest back m & th, Arms T &F, Shoulders W & Sa, and sun off. kind of confuses me now because I don't see Abs in either one of the plans. Ill have to ask him next session. Ive just been doing what dad has been doing for the past few weeks. weekday sessions usually last for 45 minutes, but weekend last for about 60-90 because I do cardio afterwards. Ive been taking dads bodytech whey. Is there any other whey protein powders that will yield me better results? Ill get some caseins like you said.
Tech_2010
STARTING OUT

Post by Tech_2010 »

Thanks Alinshop!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Maybe you could get the trainer to include shoulders in with arms, then you can have a 4 day weightlifting split.

This would mean doing cardio on one of the off days and cardio 1-2x a week on workout days, allowing for 2 split days of rest.

In that instance doing cardio after workouts is better, when you do cardio that is not allowing for too much stimulus of the worked areas, I.E. treadmill or other types of vertical cardio, versus exercise bike stuff, when you've done legs.

Similarly vertical cardio or bike stuff, would be better when you've done chest, back or arms as opposed to rowing machine cardio, providing the bike or vertical stuff, does not require a forward and backward movement of the arms and the arms remain fairly static, so you conserve more arm energy and hopefully promote quicker recovery of the muscles.

As for the abs stuff, you can get indirect abs stimulus from things like squats, deadlifts, cleans, olympic lifts etc, so the trainer may be thinking there is no need for you to do direct stuff.
Tech_2010
STARTING OUT

Post by Tech_2010 »

I was reading on the casein today and it says it can cause cancer? IS this true? I also read the whey can also?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Can you cite the source(s) of this information at all, because it sounds like something a total loon would write and if it is, I'd be advising you to ignore it.

Whey and casein are in milk and whey is a byproduct of cheese manufacture; the casein ending up in cheese, so therefore cheese, milk and yoghurts would have to be carcinogenic, which I find almost too hard to believe for words.
Tech_2010
STARTING OUT

Post by Tech_2010 »

It was a study done by dr. T Campbell. Turns out he was a vegan and was pushing his view agenda. trainer explained his experiment. he gave lab rats a HUGE amount of casein and they got cancer. He also said there has been study's showing that giving huge about of vitamin d (think he said d) to rats caused cancer. He said I didn't have to worry about it.