Depressed then Risen ... You can do it.

Post your photos and show everyone the progress you have made with your physique!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

markalem
STARTING OUT

Depressed then Risen ... You can do it.

Post by markalem »

Dear friends,
I am posting before and after pics. I am still working on health and has a long way to go. I am 30 years old. I want advice from veterans in this forum regarding how to further improve physique.
I will provide pictures of before and after. I was depressed. was able to pull myself together and followed a diet and exercised. No supplements. No personal trainers.

You can do it too. even if you are depressed and feel there is no hope. there is always hope.
BEFORE

Another before picture

AFTER
BevBrooke
STARTING OUT

Re: Depressed then Risen ... You can do it.

Post by BevBrooke »

Thanks for this! Its so nice to see others with depression finding the motivation to better themselves! I just recently decided to cold turkey meds and its been extremely tough. However, since I started working out, dieting, and being outside about a month ago, I have definitely improved outlook on things and I'm finally starting to begin to experience some enjoyment in doing things.

Your results are so incredibly motivating and I can't wait to see your continuing progress! Best of luck to you!! :D
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

Thank you so much.

more pictures before and after

Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Mark, nice to talk to you.

What times do you eat and what foods do you eat at those times?
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

Hi Boss Man, I like deep purple too (Mostly steve morse era :)

I eat after exercise, so around 7 am i eat 4 egg whites. at 8 am i eat light yogurt and bran (with germ wheat). at 10 I eat a banana. at 12 i eat a large (very large) salad of broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cherry tomatoe, 1 potatoe (boiled), 2 chicken breasts.
at 2-3 pm i eat 2 apples (large size). at 5-6 pm I eat 3 cucumbers and 4 big carrots. at 8-9 pm i eat dinner very light: 1 chicken breast, 1 head of lettuce, sometimes cup of skimmed milk, 2 jelly cups (sugar free).

I drink lots of coffee, herbal tea, tea, and sparkling water.
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

sorry forgot to add:

4-6 spoons (teaspoons) of cottage cheese mixed with sugar free Smucker strawberry jam :)

Please give me advice and feedback.
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

Most recent pics: feb 11 2015, Weight 161.4, Height 5.& approx.

Also, can anyone give me a total body fat estimate? thanks.
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

I appreciate all the tips i cant get. I have no clue how to estimate body fat. I think seasoned bodybuilders/veterans here can do that just by looking.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

markalem wrote:7 am i eat 4 egg whites.

(I'd eat that before you work out as fasted cardio has been known to cause dizzy spells and you may catabolise a bit of muscle otherwise but the protein should help to preserve minor muscle loss.

The dizzy spells may well arise in people because it's blood sugar lowering activity when blood sugar is already low first thing in the morning.)

8 am i eat light yogurt and bran (with germ wheat).

(Fine)

10 I eat a banana.

(Have more protein with this, like boiled eggs, or chicken, turkey, ham, beef or pork from a packet for examples.)

12 i eat a large (very large) salad of broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, cherry tomatoe, 1 potatoe (boiled), 2 chicken breasts.

(Good)

2-3 pm i eat 2 apples (large size).

(Same advice on the protein)

5-6 pm I eat 3 cucumbers and 4 big carrots.

(Same here too)

8-9 pm i eat dinner very light: 1 chicken breast, 1 head of lettuce, sometimes cup of skimmed milk, 2 jelly cups (sugar free).

4-6 spoons (teaspoons) of cottage cheese mixed with sugar free Smucker strawberry jam

(I'd switch this for low fat cheese as it's got more protein and good fat and tag it onto the 8-9 meal. The ditch the milk and jelly cups)

I drink lots of coffee, herbal tea, tea, and sparkling water.
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

So I should aim for 10 egg whites per day give or take? since you mention I should increase protein. How many table spoons of olive oil am I allowed to have?

The cottage cheese is indeed low fat: what kind you want me to switch to?

Last question, I should eat the egg whites before exercises then?

[Hope to get a body fat estimate from you, and further workout tips. thanks a lot]
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Switch low fat cottage cheese for low fat cheese, as it's slightly more saturate, but more protein and more good fat per 100g.

Egg whites before exercise yes.

As for egg whites per day, have as many as you're having now, as the other protein sources I suggested will work fine.

Body fat estimate no idea. I'd suggest aiming for around 14-15, but if you want to go lower you might be able to, but I've no way of telling you what your fat percentage would get to following a continued spell of exercise and eating modifications.

Fat % is best worked out by trained people who use calipers, or other methods like a bod pod.

As for olive oil don't go nuts. 1 Tbsp is probably all you'd need with any meal.
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

Progress March 1, 2015

Body fat estimates? Thanks a lot
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

Appreciate input.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It's difficult to ascertain much change, other than a shaved stomach as you're comparing colour photos to black and white that are only 2 weeks apart.
markalem
STARTING OUT

Post by markalem »

good point. I decreased from 165 to 157 lbs in these 2 weeks.