I'm new here, and have lots to learn.

Post your photos and show everyone the progress you have made with your physique!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

ironwill
VETERAN

I'm new here, and have lots to learn.

Post by ironwill »

I've been kicking around here a few weeks, and thought I should throw up a hello, now I've become a little familiar with the site. Basically, happily married, with three boys (11,6,5) we keep very busy, and family is top priority, so workout time can be limited. However, I feel good health, nutrition, and exercise are an integral part of taking care of family if I take care of myself. Turned 40 last year, and after seeing some camping pictures of myself at 198 lbs. decided to cut back on eating, and pick up some exercise. Growing up and in 20's I would encounter low blood sugar often, and when I would get hungry it really affected me, being shaky, and made me very angry. Totally changed temperment. Hence, I always tried to eat plenty to avoid this, almost like a panic that I would run out of food in system. I never really gained much weight. Hit late 30's and something changed, I started to gain. Also, wife is a Volleyball nut, and plays all the time. She bugged me forever to play, and finally I joined in. We play in several competitive leagues. This was also a big part of wanting to exercise, as I would get winded quite easily when the play got difficult. I picked up an elliptical machine, and goal has been to be in as good shape as possible without going to the gym. I spent four years in the military lifting 6-7 days/week, as I can become quite obsessed with things, I didnt do much else. I don't want to make that mistake again, as I have a family thats most important. I laughed when I read Swansos sticky, he says people want to get more fit they run and stop eating which is kind of what I have done. I have eaten less, and run on the elliptical, mixing in some strength exercises. It has helped stamina at VB, I dont get winded really unless we have a huge rally, but when weight gets down around 180, I feel very weak, with little to no energy. I am a very active person, who likes to be busy, so need energy. I find myself gobbling down food, to try to get the energy I want, but weight goes up. Consequently, from reading the sticky, and alot of other info here, I know diet (nutrition) needs a makeover, and I need to change the style of training I am doing. HIIT and the like are all new terms to me. goals are to cut BF% to a healthy level (not sure what that is yet), but have a high energy level at the same time. Changing what I eat is going to make a huge difference, I believe from what I have read on this site. It will take a little time, as I am going to try to change whole families diet at the same time. wife does all the cooking, so I will have to integrate it slowly. She wants to be more fit also, but her routine is the same as mine, go running and starve urself to death. Guess that pretty much covers it, I haven't read through all the forums yet, but will try to before asking to many questions, as I'm sure most of it has been covered at some point. As I say, trying to do this without joining a gym or buy weights, but I will if I have to. Thanks for having the site, I've enjoyed all I have read so far, and look forward to being a positive part of what goes on here. The image I have for avatar IS me, just with some creatively placed lighting. I will post something a little more realistic in full daylight. I prefer the darker one, but thats why I'm here right. To make body better. Image[/url]