2011 *New Year* Challenge

Post your food journals so others can review your diet and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

skully
REGULAR

Re: 2011 *New Year* Challenge

Post by skully »

Oh okay. I have heard of this Crossfit here and there. Was thinking to give it a shot here, since they have a program...sadly, everything is effing MIXED. ugh. Can't go to mix classes.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

skully wrote:I am no expert by any means, but your diet seems to be low in..everything. Protein, carbs..etc? I don't think eating 3 servings of a fruit is enough source for carbs, or having 1 shake + 2 eggs + 1 can tuna for protein is hardly enough. How much does that equate to? I know whey + 2 eggs is maybe around 40-50g. You seem to be training very hard & strong...you'd def need more protein? What does Boss have to say?

I train prolly less harder than you, physically smaller, & need an avg or 100-120g a day, which I hardly meet on daily basis myself!
Sorry I'm slow to respond. I know I'm not eating that much regularly - I do eat a bit more on the weekends, but honestly, I'm not hungry. I'm healthy, I'm not having any problems, and if I feel tired or lethargic I usually eat a handful of nuts and a piece of fruit, drink some water.... and it's all good. I'm not logging food regularly so it's hard to get a good picture from log, and I'm sorry about that! I'm just not doing a very good job updating it.

Honestly Skully, I've never eaten this little in life, or worked out so little. It's really weird!

Update on university papers: I have extensions from March 30 to April 6 and April 8. Woot. And thanks for your help and support on here, Allison : )
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

amatlack wrote:Most of me is still skeptical that I can get the same results in 10 minutes that I can in one hour, even though I feel more wrecked after those 10 minutes than after that hour. It's difficult to change a mentality you've had forever, you know? :)

But I'm visiting parents this week and going back to the gym that I LOVELOVELOVELOVEwanttoliveinforever, the one with intervals/strength combined in classes. They're all an hour long, so we'll see if I've lost any of ability to hang with those kids. I'm curious. :)
I know, it's so strange. The proof will be in the pudding though, I guess, hey? We'll just see what happens to the both of us!
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

I can't wait to see the results too! 10 minutes versus an hour is quite a difference. I think it's very interesting without knowing hardly anything about cross fit. :)

Have you ever heard of the 10 minute trainer, Tony Horton sells that video (the same guy that does P90x) always wondered if that would work well, too.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

musculargirl wrote:Have you ever heard of the 10 minute trainer, Tony Horton sells that video (the same guy that does P90x) always wondered if that would work well, too.
No, but I've heard of P90X for sure. I'll google it. I usually don't do videos at home, but I did have success with a Windsor pilates video back in the day, and minimal success with Body Rock. It turns out I perform better in front of an audience :mrgreen:
Athene
REGULAR

March 29, 2011

Post by Athene »

School is kind of freaking me out right now, but I keep reminding myself it's just the time of year for that. Two more papers and I'm DONE! I hope everyone that has spring weather right now is enjoying it. I had a coffee in the sunshine today and it felt great.

Nutrition
Breakfast - 1 apple, 1 whey isolate shake, 300 ml black coffee.
Lunch - 3 oz chicken breast, 1 cup redpepper/greenbeans/nibletcorn, 2 tbsp lime juice, 1/4 cup raw pecans, 300 ml black coffee.
Dinner - 2 eggs, 2 cups baby spinach, 1/2 cup mushroom/redpepper, sprinkle of Mrs. Dash seasoning.

Workout
Nothing, but I committed to the Crossfit gym I did the trial month at. I signed a 1 year contract, and will be paying $150 a month for the whole year, so this is a serious commitment for me. I've never spent this kind of money on anything optional before - Muay Thai gym membership was $150 for 3 months, not 1, and the City gym that I have been frequenting is $100 for 3 months! But the last two weeks without Crossfit have been rough since beginner course ended. I tried to recapture the workouts on own, but it just was not the same. I miss the results, I miss the atmosphere, so I bit the bullet and am making a commitment to myself this year: I'm going to dedicate myself to Crossfit for 1 year and see what happens.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I presume the snacks are still ever present. They're not listed, but I figured they must be pretty much as per usual.
Athene
REGULAR

March 30, 2011

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:I presume the snacks are still ever present. They're not listed, but I figured they must be pretty much as per usual.
Actually I didn't have any snacks yesterday - I did today though, and it was really tasty. I know there's not much there, but I think I haven't been eating much because I haven't been working out much the last 2 weeks... just working on essays, working at work, and walking a lot every day. That all changes on Friday though :twisted:

Nutrition
Breakfast - 1 whey isolate shake, 1 apple, 300 ml black coffee.
Lunch - 3 oz chicken, 2 cups spinach, 1 orange, 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1/4 cup pecans.
Dinner - 1 tin smoked oysters, 1 orange.
Snacks - 5 dates, 3 celery stalks.
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

amatlack wrote:Have you noticed that food tastes better when you eat less? Maybe it's just me, but since I cut down, I really look forward to meals and can taste things better. Everything's so delicious!

But I've been with parents this week, so I've been eating more than usual. I feel gross.
Yeah, absolutely. I didn't think of it that way before, but it's true, the less you eat the bigger a deal eating something - anything - becomes. I really savour it and take time, not because I'm starving or anything, just because it feels like a big task!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Be a bit sparing on the dates, as they're a very sugary dried fruit and actually rate at around 105 GI, so they're actually more glycemic than Glucose itself, though of course that does depend on the portion consumed.
Athene
REGULAR

Dates

Post by Athene »

Boss Man wrote:Be a bit sparing on the dates, as they're a very sugary dried fruit and actually rate at around 105 GI, so they're actually more glycemic than Glucose itself, though of course that does depend on the portion consumed.
For sure! They're about the size of small prunes, and I had three between lunch and dinner, and 2 "for dessert". Someone gave them to me at work. I know they're extremely sugar-packed.
Athene
REGULAR

New Year Challenge, Phase 1, is over!

Post by Athene »

Yesterday was March 31st, so '2011 New Year Challenge', phase 1, is officially over. The goal was to change relationship with food and get on track to shed some body fat, and overall I think that goal was achieved for 2 reasons:

1. I lost weight.
I went from 161.2 lbs to 152.2 lbs in 3 months, for a loss of 9 lbs. It's not a lot, but it's sustainable. It's also the first time I have seen a goal through to the end, warts and all, without abandoning it because it wasn't perfect all the time.

2. I finally learned how to eat in a way that works for me.
This is huge because it has made a difference in energy levels and sleep hygiene. I'm also more comfortable in body throughout the day and night - not hungry, full, bloated, or uncomfortable, ever.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I signed a contract for 1 year at a Crossfit gym and am excited about it. I had first workout today, April 1. I think next challenge will be to adhere to the Crossfit nutritional structure and workouts for 3 months solid, which will take me to the end of June. So good-bye food log and size 12 pants log - see you on the flipside ; )

Thanks to everyone who was supportive of attempts to grapple with this stuff, and to those who have their own logs and inspired me with them.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Hopefully we can still expect to see tou around here :).

You deserve to be proud of yourself and I'm proud of you for sticking to things. I know it was hard when you were injured, but you've done really, really well to come back from that and you HAVE been a really positive example to others no matter who they are.

So GOOD LUCK and as I say, I hope you'll be here for the forseeable. You have always been a superb contributor and personality and have never failed to add your own unique something to the community and whatever you do with your life, Shapefit and people like me, will always be here to support you and give you an outlet for your positve words, experiences, heart and inspiration.

:) :).
Athene
REGULAR

Post by Athene »

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your support and advice, and look forward to a lot more conversations. All the best!
musculargirl
VETERAN

Post by musculargirl »

Congratulations on the weight loss Athene! You and Allison seem like you really like that Crossfit. Good luck with Phase II. :)