Finding way back to fit!

Post your food journals so others can review your diet and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

feelin-great
VETERAN

Finding way back to fit!

Post by feelin-great »

Hi everyone! I have decided to start a new thread since I am basically starting journey from scratch. For those that I have gotten to know over the years on this site, I am ashamed to admit that I have now exceeded previous high weight and I am desperately in need of motivation to get back to the "fit" me that ran the half marathon 2.5 years ago. It is quite depressing to think of how fast I put the weight back on after running that race. The majority of it has happened in the last four months since move to California. Life has been pre insane since that move, but now I am getting into a groove where I can start focusing on myself again!

I weighed myself a few minutes ago but I have decided not to post that weight until I weigh myself in the morning so that I can stay consistent with the time of day I will be weighing each week. Earlier today I went to get hair done and the salon has full length mirrors in front of the seats - seeing myself full on like that sitting down was a huge eye opener for me. Before that appointment I had decided to eat takeout tonight and start healthy eating tomorrow - but seeing myself in that shape definitely motivated me to stop putting it off...instead I went grocery shopping immediately after appointment and made myself a thin lean-cut pork chop and a side salad with tomatoes and oil/vinaigrette dressing - I have a photo but I can never figure out how to post them in the thread :mrgreen: I have also incorporated a glass of wine in dinner - how can I not now that I have moved to California!

Anyway, I have officially started new journey to fit and I know that the more support I have the better I do, so I am happy to be back and hope to catch up with old friends soon.

PS - thanks Becky, for pushing me to come back :)
Last edited by feelin-great on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: Finding way back to fit!

Post by Boss Man »

Hi Jocelyn good to have you around again :).

You can link to photos using a Photobucket account as stated, or you should be able to post things from sites like Flickr and Pintrest I think.

What you can't do is condemn yourself for the past, because that is done. All you can do is become more accepting to the idea of a better tomorrow for your health. You DO have the power to make this happen; I have never doubted that and I believe one way or another through correct and sensible means, you WILL find more of the person you deserve to be :).

I have stood by you in the past and will again, because you are NOT a failure, but you are someone that CAN learn from what has happened in the past and learn what was working and what things can be overturned that were hurting your progress.

For example, you need to learn or remember that tiredness is not a barrier to working out, or that having things like a mild cold, or a slightly stiff elbow, or a sore throat aren't either and that when you can't train at a certain time, there may be alternative times in the day and alternative ways to be active and that when you eat out, you plan ahead and when you don't have time to eat at a certain time, eat the food 30-60 minutes later if you can and then eat as per normal, but if you eat badly the once, don't let it control the next 1, 2, 3, 4+ meals, until your food has gone wrong for 24 hours at least, get it back on track at the next meal and if you make a mistake with meal planning, don't go hungry at a certain time in the day, try to have pre-planned alternatives if you can, so you have backup plans.

You are important and always have been and you ARE the most important person in your life and you always will be. I have always, always been a big admirer of yours, just because of your beautiful personality and wonderful heart and I only ever stopped being around for you, when you weren't posting here and you forced me to be not there for you, but I will be here for you again and when you need a little private one to one time, to -stress and let your feelings out, I will be here as I always have been for any good member and that will not change anytime soon :).

You are no less important to me as a person than you were before. You are not a pity case or a tragic character, nor have I ever viewed you as such; you're a sensitive, emotionally beautiful Lady, who deserves a better future and outlook on life from being more healthy, well and vital and it's right to volunteer support to you as I always have done and I will do again, in order to help you find the life you ARE worth, so you can be truly connected to the person you are in your head and heart.

Don't look at this as a journey to a better appearance, look at is as a journey to a better functioning you, because your body needs to work well more than it needs to look pristine and beach ready, not that I'm saying you labour under the need for a photo shopped magazine ideal, as I am certain you never have done, because you should want to be someone who looks like a true representation of yourself, not an attempt to intently replicate someone else's thing.

So when your blood pressure and cholesterol go down a bit, your bone density and strength go up a bit and your risk of certain conditions and diseases gown down a bit, you're going to hopefully get more of a positive external appearance, as a byproduct of your hard work and efforts :).

I'm sending you a BIG HUG, because you're worth it and to remind you that you will never stop mattering to those of us on here, that truly know and get your character, or to those who are willing to discover you as a person and embrace all your beauty, imperfections and wonderful nature.

only regret with you is that you were away from our community for too long and we couldn't be here to look out for you and give you our strength, warmth and comfort in your hard times and our support and celebrations in your good times, but seeing you around again is giving me a nice happy feeling inside, because it lets me know you're still fighting and you've not given up on yourself and I am proud of you for not forgetting your own true worth Jocelyn and for remembering that you can be more of a person if you let yourself try and work at it, because you WILL deserve to be more of a person in time, when you stick at it and get it right, which I have always believed you can do.

I've never been a patron saint of lost causes, I'm a patron saint of great causes, because you represent hope, the hope of a brighter physical future for you personally and from perspective relating myself to you, when you finally succeed it will be 99.9% down to you and 0.1% down to anything I said or did to help, because it's not place to make out people would be nothing without me, because I can't make people train properly and eat properly, or do anything I suggest, therefore I want people to succeed for their own personal well being and any happiness I get, is seeing people getting towards and achieving what they're worth.

So keep believing in yourself, chin up, head high, stay strong and be proud of who you are on the inside. You're a fantastic Lady with a heart that is quite beautiful and I want you to use that heart and your great and intelligent mind to help you find answers, guide you along the way an keep you strong, focused, accountable and willing to face your challenges.

We as a community will be here to do what we can, to help you get there for YOU and YOU alone, so when you succeed we can be happy for YOU and YOU alone and not to give ourselves gold stars for the emotion we shared along the way :thumb: :thumb: .
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

As always, thanks Bossman, your support is greatly appreciated :D

I guess I should state goals. Overall I want to lose 40 pounds. I am currently 4.9 pounds heavier than previous high. biggest downfall has been lack of time. I put in excruciating hours at work and I travel a lot. Plus I have had a lot of company, which really hasn't helped. Between eating out while traveling to getting takeout for lunch/dinner because of time restraints, things were out of control.

I did start a crossfit class a few weeks ago. I went to the first two free sessions (which almost killed me, by the way :bugeyes: ). After those sessions I ended up traveling so haven't been back yet. I am trying to decide if I will go back to that one or try another one. They are awesome in the fact that they are willing to prorate the monthly fee around traveling. But in the downside I am not sure I am comfortable there - the owner is real crass, and I just felt very out of place. The other trainer, on the other hand, was great. So I am torn. I have heard that crossfit is very good at modifying workouts to your level, but this guy wasn't - I literally almost collapsed when legs wouldn't hold me up, luckily there was a tree to catch me :mrgreen: I'm not joking either, completely serious.

Anyway, I have cleaned up eating and I no longer have junk in the house. That will make it much easier to keep it up.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Crossfit is not bad, but beware of the injury risk, as I believe it often uses movements that are dissimilar to normal weight lifting movement,s or it uses movements, that are a combination of two pre-existing movements and therefore there is in some cases a slightly elevated risk of injury versus normal weightlifting movements, but it can also be a quite productive thing too, therefore I'm not against it, but I'm for it with the caveat of caution being the watchword :).

Oh and as your birthday was the 23rd of last month, then belated 36th, wasn't it?
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Bossman, that's what worries me about this place - the second trainer is awesome, but the owner really pushes, probably too hard, so I'm afraid that will lead to more injuries. The only problem with joining another one is that the only other one that is in a location I can make it to for a session does not work with me during travel. And I have to commit to a year. So if I am traveling two to three weeks out of a month I still have to pay the full fee. So I have to figure out how much I will be traveling before I commit.

And the 23rd was 37th :shock: But if you insist on 36th I'll go with that :mrgreen:
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

On the 23rd, was you birthday? Happy belated Birthday! :clap: Another year of being wise! :wink:

Welcome to California! what area if you don't mind me asking? I'm close to the bay area.. of course!
People make fun of me when I say "Totally cool dude" LOL :D

I know it's NOT easy pick yourself back up but the fact that you DID... GOOD JOB and keep pushing! It's an on going process and we learn as we go and the fact that we don't give it... we'll make it!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

feelin-great wrote:And the 23rd was 37th :shock: But if you insist on 36th I'll go with that :mrgreen:
37 is that all? You should try being 39 :funny: :funny:
chriscandothis
REGULAR

Post by chriscandothis »

Good for you Jocelyn!! :thumb: We all have to start (and restart, :Hahabonk: and again...) somewhere. I am very proud of your decisions to look after yourself and be the best you you can be! Life always tries to get in our way but we have to keep plugging away for ourselves. It looks like you have surrounded yourself with a great network. We are all in this together!!

Keep us informed about how it is going! Good Luck!
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

Oh, I've done fair share of restarting :lol: I always get back up, no matter how hard I fall - but with age it is noticeable how much harder I fall and how much more difficult it is to get back in shape than it used to be :mrgreen:

I'm doing well so far with food this week - I'm not going to post daily what I eat since diet gets boring but it has been something like this:

Protein shake/banana or oatmeal/egg
Fruit/nuts
Salad with egg, avocado, mushroom, tomato, feta cheese and an orange for "dessert"
Kind bar if I'm in a rush or fruit/nuts
Lean protein (chicken or lean pork chops) and large side salad with oil/vinaigrette dressing

I make own dressin now - a while back I starts buying really expensive flavored oils and vinaigrette to mix. I currently have Tuscan herb oil that I mix with peach vinaigrette. Very tasty :D

Workouts so far this week have been just walking dog - I'm going to start more formal workouts soon when I am done with budgets at work!!!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

fat-to-fit wrote:Are you going to celebrate turning 40 anyway boss?
It would just be a quiet family affair as always, when it happens.
chriscandothis
REGULAR

Post by chriscandothis »

Oh you kids are making me feel old!! :funny: Let's just say I have 5 to 10 years on all of you. In workout buddy group I am the baby. They inspire me because they keep going and you all inspire me too!
Age is just a number!! :thumb:
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

I am considering signing up for another half marathon in January. I have a little time to decide, but not too much. It is a Disneyland half marathon. A coworker is trying to convince me to do it. And since I now live less than an hour from Disneyland, it's quite convenient :mrgreen: But I also know it is going to start getting super hot here so I don't know if I will motivate myself to train outside. So right now it's just a thought. Unfortunately these races sell out pretty quickly so I need to make up mind soon!

I have decided to set some short term goals and rewards to help me get motivated:

7 pounds lost - manicure
15 pounds lost - pedicure
25 pounds lost - expensive pair of shoes :lol:
40 pounds lost ( goal) - SKYDIVING!!!!!! :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen:

It has been almost 8 years since I got out of it and I now live 15 minutes from a drop zone so I would really like to get involved again - talk about motivation!
clairelv
STARTING OUT

Post by clairelv »

thank you ! i will try best as well.....
chriscandothis
REGULAR

Post by chriscandothis »

Awesome goal and rewards system Jocelyn!!
Best of luck! :clap:
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

feelin-great wrote:
I have decided to set some short term goals and rewards to help me get motivated:

7 pounds lost - manicure
15 pounds lost - pedicure
25 pounds lost - expensive pair of shoes :lol:
40 pounds lost ( goal) - SKYDIVING!!!!!! :mrgreen: :clap: :mrgreen:
For me.... 10 pounds lost - expensive pair of shoes!!!
25 pounds lost - 2 new jean pants & a cute black dress to match the expensive pair of shoes !!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: