ACDC's Food Journal

Post your food journals so others can review your diet and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Re: ACDC's Food Journal

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

Boss Man, thanks for the input! run with the hubby went well. We ran 3.4 miles and did intervals towards the last half mile. I love the feel of endorphins running through system. We're going to run tomorrow! :D

Boss Man, I've commented on your reply below.

It might be one or two things with the diet causing an issue.

The 4 squares of chocolate if you do that every day, could be adding anywhere between about 120 and 160 added calories of fat and sugar in your diet, depending on the calories per square and the healthy pizza, might be an issue too, depending on what's in it. Yes, it could be this!

You might be overdoing the cardio. You might be getting some muscle gain too, but perhaps you at some point increased your sodium intake, without realising it and caused some water retention. homemade pizza is made up of whole wheat flat bread (100 calories), hummus, fresh tomatoes, broccoli, beans, and two lite laughing cows. Maybe it's the hummus...

Also more muscle burns an extra 45-50 calories a day, for each added 1lb, but losing some could have a reverse effect, so if you perhaps slightly decreased calories, but suddenly added more running in, that might do it, whereas you might have been better in that case to consider a small caloric increase on running days, as opposed to a small cut, but obviously I'm speculating, as I'm not sure how you have changed, or managed your diet and exercise in this time. Could eating too much protein cause weight gain? I've been eating loads of fish, pork, steak, and chicken. Thanks again, Boss Man!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No I doubt it. Too much protein can lead ot kidney stones and gout, because amino acids have a nitrogen bond and the nitrogen could convert to uric acid and then the crystals collect around the joints causing pain.

howver you'd need to be pretty haevy on it really. If you were consuming 250g a day for some time, thne maybe, but if you consumed around 1g per 1lb of bodyweight I doubt it.

Plus the more stored water you have the more your body could use water stores to flush it out.

I don't think it's the hummus causing any fat gain, but the chocolate may be having a mild effect.

The pizza probably isn't an issue.

Another possibility is calories. You eat 4 meals a day, but exercise as well, so could your calories be a bit low? You might not be adequately fuelling for your needs, as you haven't declared any recent caloric intake as far as I can see.
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

Yes, it could be calories. Some days I eat 1800-2000 calories, on days I don't work out, I eat about 1200-1400. I've one or two days in the past three weeks where I woke up late, skipped breakfast and had only 900 calories. Eek.

I also think it may be the chocolate and red velvet cupcakes I've been eating... I'll start calorie counting... Thanks!

Today's workout: Ran 3.4 miles with a 0.3 10% incline. Eek. I'm slowly getting better. Oh, and I actually like running with husband. Who would have known! :D
feelin-great
VETERAN

Post by feelin-great »

AnnaCruzDC wrote:Oh, and I actually like running with husband. Who would have known! :D
It's nice to have someone you enjoy running with. I personally prefer to run alone, but that's only because I get so winded I would rather not feel like I have to talk, and I really don't want to slow anyone down :mrgreen: But sometimes it would be nice to have someone to keep me company!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd try aiming for the 2,000 on workout days and 1,800 on non-workout days and see how that is, as I think the 1,400 calorie days may be taking the edge off your bodys progress.

Also, after having a reread, you might be carbing a it too much and when carbs aren't used they have the potential to convert to fat and store, so I'd trim the carbs down by maybe 10g a meal and replace the calories from fat if possible.

Things like edible oils would do, but fats are in things like fish, flaxseeds, nuts, peanuts, avocado, soy products, (tofu, soybeans, tempeh, nattokinase, miso etc), eggs, yoghurt.

These do however contains Carbs, but if you do a bit of homework, like using about.com calorie counter or nutritiondata as examples, you could find some of things have a desirable carb to fat ratio, so you'd be cutting carbs out and adding very little if any back in, with most of the replaced calories being from fat.

Certainly edible oils should have a 0 carb yield.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Hey Anna, welcome back!

OMG… you are doing Insanity? I’m doing that too… starting Monday. Gotta get mental state ready… You seem to still be active & enjoying yourself! See youa round! :mrgreen:
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

Jocelyn, oh I can relate to your concerns about running partners. husband tries to talk to me when I am totally winded and I sometimes get frustrated. I told him he can talk to me, but don't expect me to talk back! I prefer to run outside at night, but it isn't very safe for women to be running on the trails after sunset.

Boss Man, thanks for the info. I'll have to try out nattokinase and tempeh. I bought a food scale so I can be more precise in counting macros. Today I was so tempted to buy a red velvet cupcake; I told taste buds "No" and bought cottage cheese instead. It was very filling!

Nokie, good to hear from you! How is it going?!? We're both married now. :D Insanity is making me so so sore. I don't do the entire workout yet. I take thaiboxing classes 3-5 times a week and I can barely do that. Thaiboxing is hard for me - we do 15 minutes of warm-up/conditioning, 30 minutes of learning techniques and combos, and 15 minutes of burn-outs/conditioning. When I was younger, I was able to recover much faster. Now knees creak (hereditary), I'm always tired, and hip flexor is constantly strained. Blah. Running is going ok. It's hard. I figure I can either experience temporary discomfort from running or prolonged discomfort from being overweight and unhealthy. I choose 1-2 hours of temporary discomfort per day! :wink:

I'm off to bed! Sweet dreams everyone! Or good morning to those across the pond! Have a great Sunday! :D
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Insanity is hard, that's for sure. It's a workout so being sore is totally a good thing… you know its working. You are crazy doing Thai kickboxing & Insanity workout... I'm just doing pure Insanity b/c I know I’ll over work myself!

joints hurts too when I workout.. I'm trying to take supplements for it and stretch it properly… We’ll see.

I also bought this coupon for massages... $75 for 3 x 60mins massages!! I know I’ll be sore and I surely do need to pamper myself! So... Try to find deals and see if you can get a massage.. It totally helps with body pain! :mrgreen:
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

Nokie! I don't do insanity everyday. intention was to do it everyday, but eh, it hasn't been going well. I figure muay thai instructor incorporates a lot of the same moves during conditioning anyways. After class, I do some light exercises on own (russian twists, judo push-ups, back to the wall, arm exercises, etc). Go YOU for doing it everyday. You will be inspiration. :D

Today I haven't been getting enough iron. Wonderful. No wonder I am always tired!

Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: cottage cheese, almond milk, pumpkin flax granola cereal.
Snack: red delicious apple, edamame
Lunch: persimmon, almond milk, skinless baked chicken, tilapia, edamame
Snack: peanut butter on whole wheat, almond milk, edamame
Muay Thai class!!!! I felt like I was sparring with a robot today bc partner was wearing a plastic/metal knee brace. If women can't wear jewelry, watches or hair pins, men with knee braces shouldn't be sparring! He hurt at least three other classmates with his brace!
Dinner: baked chicken, quinoa, cucumbers, edamame, boiled okra, lemon juice
Snack: chai tea with almond milk

Exercise: one hour of muay thai, 10 minutes of scissor kicks, planks, and kettle bell butt exercises (these make me so so sore). Muay thai was difficult today. We usually do a 100 jab-cross burnout towards the end, but our instructor switched it up and had us do 200 punches! During conditioning we also did 30 sit-ups, 30 kicks left leg, 30 sit-ups, 30 kicks right leg; five three minutes rounds of sparring and doing five burpees every time a kick isn't blocked; and lastly 60 sit-ups before we ended class. It was a very intense workout!

Total Calories: 1600-1700
Total Calories burned: 500

Here's the plan for the rest of the week:

Tuesday: Light morning run, Muay thai & sparring
Wednesday: Run 3.5 miles, muay thai
Thursday: Run 3.5 miles, muay thai
Friday: Bike, Muay thai and some insanity
Saturday: 5k Time and leave for the West Coast for work!!!! :D
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

I went to the grocery store today and picked up some healthy eats: kale, tomatoes, red onions, Bigelow's spicy chai tea (much better than Twinning's btw), Rob's Red Mill high protein textured vegetable protein (TVP), yellow bananas, organic green beans, and two bags of frozen edamame. Total cost: $20.07 at Harris Teeter. I thought I did pretty well. :D I bought 0.86 lbs of kale for only $0.39. I need to eat kale more often.

As for today's workout - I ran 3.4 miles! I'm getting a little faster and I'm able to zone out for longer periods of time. avg mile right now is 9:50 mins, which is faster than last weeks, 10:07 mins. After I ran, I went straight to muay thai class.

Warm-up:
Jump rope: 5 minutes
Sit-ups with a 15 lb ball. 3 sets, 15 reps
20 right kicks, 20 left kicks
Light sparring (30 mintes)

Sparring (30 minutes)
7, 3 minute rounds of sparring w/ 1 min breaks. first 4 rounds were light. The last 3 were harder.

Burnout
70 push-ups. I. Hate. Push-ups. I can do push-ups when arms are wide apart, but instructor prefers them to be close together with elbows pointing towards feet. So. Hard. For. Me. Does it ever get easier?
100 sit-ups <--- this was difficult for me bc I had already did sit-ups with a stability ball 40 minutes earlier
30 Burpees<---- I can do burpees 10 at a time, but 30 in a row is tough - I was already tired from running and sparring!
50 squats - I love squats. I did these quickly. Next time I'll add weights.
Stretch!

Overall, great workout. I love muay thai.
Last edited by AnnaCruzDC on Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

Today's weight: 123! It took me a whole freaking month to lose five pounds.That's about 15 muay thai classes, a couple cycling trips and running about 20 miles. Running is speeding the process - I need to make this a habit. Eating red velvet cupcakes 1-2x a week is probably another reason why I've been losing weight so slowly. Red velvet cupcakes are SO DELICIOUS!

Today's meal

Breakfast: apple, salmon, one egg, red onions, banana (I need to add spinach or some veggies)
Snack: Persimmon, P&B sandwich
Lunch: Dragon Roll sushi
Snack: Banana
Workout: Run 3.5 miles
Dinner: Veggies (boiled kale, tomatoes, green beans, okra, red onions), baked chicken breast
Snack: Edamame

Today's workout

Run 3.5 miles
60 min muay thai class :x I didn't make muay thai. Instead, I did some workouts at home while watching the debate:
-20 Toe-up twists
-20 Crunches
-20 Stability ball passes
-30 Sit-ups
-15 Good mornings
-10 Back squats, each leg
-10 Front squats, each leg
- 22 Body weight squats
- 20 Back lunges w/ 8 lb weights, each leg
- 20 Front lunges w/ 8 lb weights, each leg
- 20 Side plank reps, each side
- 22 Goblet squats
-1 push-up...yes 1 push-up. arms couldn't do it. Maybe because yesterday's muay thai workout was so hard! :D
Last edited by AnnaCruzDC on Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

AnnaCruzDC wrote: Red velvet cupcakes are SO DELICIOUS!
I couldn't agree with you more!!! I know I love it so I stay AWAY from it... LOL :P
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

The main thing is you've sussed out the minor hinderance to weight loss, so you can hopefully avoid it from now on :)
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

Nokie173 wrote:
AnnaCruzDC wrote: Red velvet cupcakes are SO DELICIOUS!
I couldn't agree with you more!!! I know I love it so I stay AWAY from it... LOL :P
Hahaha. Yes, red velvet is yummy. Today at the grocery store, I saw RED VELVET RED WINE! What does that taste like?!?!?! :D
AnnaCruzDC
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by AnnaCruzDC »

Boss Man wrote:The main thing is you've sussed out the minor hinderance to weight loss, so you can hopefully avoid it from now on :)
Boss Man, Yes! I will try and stay away from those cupcakes! I'm going to try and make 'healthy cupcakes' made up of oatmeal, whey protein, cottage cheese, almond milk, organic cocoa, stevia and coconut oil! I'm scared... I hope it turns out to be delicious.