Nokie's Food Journal

Post your food journals so others can review your diet and follow your progress!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Nokie173
VETERAN

Nokie's Food Journal

Post by Nokie173 »

I decided to post what I eat and workout progress in this log for a few months and see how that will work. Since it’s the holidays… I know I’m a weak sauce and will fall into the trap of messing up hard work then hate myself for it and then start over feeling miserable. So, I’m going to have to stop lying to myself about eating and cheating…. I don’t want to wait for next year and make a stupid New Year resolution then hate myself for it again because I failed. I decided to do it HERE & NOW. 37 pounds gone but I want more and I want to move to the next level. I already have a journal for me to track but I tend to lie to myself…. Maybe if I track it here… I will be regulated. :wink:

I made a list of the kind of food I will go shop for and store it at home. The only thing I hate is that fiancé can eat anything and everything at anytime without gaining 1 stinking pound!!!! (I don’t actually hate him… but I hate that he can do that!!!!) But the positive side about that is…He doesn’t have to steal “Healthy” food and even better I’ll make a list so he can cook it for me too… YAY me! :P

journal might be boring since I’ll be eating almost the same thing. However, I hope to have ideas and inputs so I can try to be creative :D

I read over book journal and realized... I DO NOT eat enough veggies!!! :shock:

Oh… I just hope I can do it… Company parties (both work)
Family & friends parties… sigh… I’m pretty worry about it for some reason!
Maybe I’m just sacred of failure and will punish myself one way or the other.
Ok… that should be enough of blabbering…. For now at least…. :twisted:

(I can’t go shopping until this weekend to get list of food.
So right now I’m eating what I have at home and trying to be healthy about it)

Goal: Fat/Weight Loss (135-145lbs/ BF Below 25%)

Today: 11/19/09

6:30AM
Weetabix x2
Protein shake
(I thought I packed vanilla but it was strawberries – please don’t ask how it tasted!)
Black coffee

9:30AM
4 Hard boiled Eggs (3 whites, 1 whole)
Mixed nuts

11:30PM
Grilled Chicken with Brown Rice
Side of light teriyaki sauce
And Steam spinach

2 PM
String cheese
Turkey deli
1 hard boiled Egg whole

GYM (3-4:15)
(Suppose to be rest day but I get a ride after work today so I have an hour or so to kill… Instead of shopping in the expensive downtown San Francisco… I’ll go to the gym and do a light cardio and do a deep stretch… legs are still sore from the Pistol Squats from Monday & Step up from yesterday… but it’s a good sore :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

4:30PM – Protein Shake

6:30-?? To be continue….

I don’t have to work tonight so I didn’t pack dinner... I’ll have to post later tonight or tomorrow for tonight’s dinner.

Have a Good day everybody!

Nokie 8)
ldematto
VETERAN

Re: Nokie's Food Journal

Post by ldematto »

Hi Nokie!

I'm happy to see your post - we both seem to be at a standstill, lost tons of weight and that's good, but what about the next 10 or 20, right?!? I love to see what others eat, specifically - it really helps me in putting meals together. :) I do think unless you write it down you either forget some of the things you've eaten, or haven't eaten enough! Ha! When you eat 4 HB eggs, only 1 whole - you simply throw the yolks away? If one doesn't have issues with cholesterol is eating the whole egg (4 of them) ok do you think? I see you're eating the Weetabix - I love mine! and I also picked up strawberry protein powder that's yummy!! BUT I haven't tried it in the Weetabix, I would think it would be good! :)
Last edited by ldematto on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pinky56
STARTING OUT

Post by Pinky56 »

Oh… I just hope I can do it… Company parties (both work)
Family & friends parties… sigh… I’m pretty worry about it for some reason!
Maybe I’m just sacred of failure and will punish myself one way or the other.
I tottally feel you on this... it's going to be hard but i just remind myself... portion portion portion... some families find it rude when you come to thier parties and not eat their food but PORTION wil just have to be the key...
I read over book journal and realized... I DO NOT eat enough veggies!!! :shock
i also notice there is no fruit in your diet... unless your starwberry shake is a supplement for that??
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

@Lu- I agree it is kind of hard putting food together… It takes some planning!
And sometimes... things come up and don’t even get to go with the plan.

As for the eggs - Yes, I just throw them yolks away. I don’t need it and don’t want to eat it. I don’t have an issue with cholesterol at all... but I want to make a habit of just not eating much of it.

As for the Weetabix - Let’s just say… It’s not the best taste for strawberry flavor with any kind of cereal. I usually pack protein powders in a small sandwich bag… the vanilla and strawberries got mixed up somehow… ohwell… if it’s not cookies n’ cream looking…. Then I can’t tell the difference. :lol:

@Brent – Thanks… Feel free to take and add ideas. Most will struggle for the holidays when it comes to wanting to be healthy and trying to stick with our plans.
Ah… I don’t mind being a healthy hermit… sounds fun living in a small box… Just Kidding … :P

@Pinky – Girl… I know what you mean when it comes to being rude or disrespectful if we don’t eat. I was told to always finish plate even if I have to stuff face with it… Lick if I have to… Just Kidding!!!! :lol:

Not only portion control but you gotta to watch out for the kind of food out there!
Not only some foods are high in calories but high in sodium, fats (bad kinds) etc… I’ll be pickier this time around…

As for fruits... yeah, I have no more at home… No worries, I’ll enjoy fruits tonight... Cucumbers and tomatoes… YUMMY!!! Oh with salt and peppers… :D
Pinky56
STARTING OUT

Post by Pinky56 »

Not only portion control but you gotta to watch out for the kind of food out there!
Not only some foods are high in calories but high in sodium, fats (bad kinds) etc… I’ll be pickier this time around…
can you give me some examples of food to avoid please??... so i can keep that in mind when i am grabbing plate of food on thanksgiving :D
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Nokie173 wrote:I know I’m a weak sauce and will fall into the trap of messing up hard work then hate myself for it and then start over feeling miserable. So, I’m going to have to stop lying to myself about eating and cheating…. I don’t want to wait for next year and make a stupid New Year resolution then hate myself for it again because I failed. I decided to do it HERE & NOW
Nokie I think you speak for so many people on the issue of the never ending tug of war between eating healthy and the temptations of sweets or "bad" food choices. When I read what you had said I saw myself so clearly....I go through exactly the same thing every year. It seems like I lose weight, eat healthy, then all it takes is for one occasion, usually a birthday, or a family get together and I eat something sweet (chocolate usually :roll: ) and it seems like it "wakes" the sweet tooth in me and I crave all the things I love, but know are not going to help diet - sometimes I feel powerless against it. Then I end up feeling miserable and guilty and mad at myself at weakness. So I think it is a great idea to start posting your diet this time of year - to help keep yourself on track. I think I will do the same thing, if you don't mind - maybe I should start a "Holiday eating Journal" to help me get through the next 2 months!
brentyboy wrote:We have to live too right? We can't hide in a box and eat out of tupperware all the time right? really, what's the point of all this if we are going to shy away from all the fun stuff and be "health hermits?"
I agree with you Brent, surely there must be a comprimise! An occasional treat? Or a healthy (or healthier) version of a favorite pie, or cookie? I'm open to suggestions :?
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

@ Pinky – I can’t really tell you what to avoid because every house is different. Last year for thanksgiving… Although we don’t celebrate it, mom just cooks up a whole bunch of random stuff… Funny thing is... No turkey or mash potatoes etc…

But I do know what I will be looking for…
Grilled or boiled turkey, chicken, etc...
Green salad no dressing or steam veggies
Water!!!
I will have to walk away from 5 different desserts!
I will talk away from the alcohol !!!!
Basically… I’ll try best to be discipline... but we'll see... how I do.

@Fitoverforty – I don’t mind at all Lynne. If this will help you and your goals… by all means… Join me! :D
We can help one another and regulate each other!!!!
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Nokie173 wrote:@Fitoverforty – I don’t mind at all Lynne. If this will help you and your goals… by all means… Join me!
Thanks Nokie. I decided to just list what I eat everyday in Workout Journal - easier that way. Feel free to read it and give me any advice, ideas on how to improve and of course the much needed kick in the butt when applicable (which for today was pretty applicable!).
brentyboy wrote:Maybe the stress of the fuss will do more damage than the actual deed. I have read alot about stress and its effect on the body. Without going into an endless diatribe, basically, stress = cortisol = fat
That makes sense. I'm gonna read up on that. :)
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

brentyboy wrote:Nokie I just had another thought.

What about stress? Are you stressing yourself out over the holiday food? If so, this may be worse than actually eating the food. Are you afraid of "cheating" on your diet? So am I. But maybe we shouldnt be. Maybe the stress of the fuss will do more damage than the actual deed.
I’m going to honestly answer this by saying... YES... I’m always stressing!
Even though I am in denial… I am unconsciously stressed…
Not with what I eat at the moment… At least I don’t think so… but I might be.
I’m way stress and work (both), family… houses… etc... That’s part of life!
However, I do try to take it one step at a time… and take it day by day…

I was sad and miserable awhile back when I looked at myself in the mirror.
I already had low self-esteem growing up and just looking at self just made it worse.
That caused a lot of stress… because I didn't want to eat and was starving myself.
But what I did and the way I felt back then is a bit different now.

After losing over 30lbs… I’m less stress when it comes to weight.
Eating healthy and keeping an exercise schedule helps a lot!
Of course, I want to be stronger and challenge myself to the next level.
I get compliments instead of complaints of how freaking fat I am.

So, I’m not sure if I’m stress about eating although I do take some time thinking about what I will eat and what’s meal plan. I am bit concern for the holidays because I always failed with such events. If I have a little taste of it… I want it all… but if I have none… I can walk away!… I think it’s a psychological thing… I just need to discipline myself. All life I’ve been surrounded with unhealthy food. Now as I’m educating myself I am more aware of what’s healthy and unhealthy. So, I am thinking about what’s going in mouth this coming holiday. Am I making sense? I think I am? Or maybe I’m just going off topic…

@Lynne... Count on me following up on your diet & workout :wink:
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

Continue from 11/19/09

6:30PM
Grilled Chicken Breast
Steam Veggies
Cucumber
Side of Peanut sauce

Note: Almost had a cheese steak sandwich. After gym, fiancé picked me up and went to run errands. Then, there was this big sign that said (HOMETOWN CHEESE STEAK) He wanted to go and eat there… Man, I would love to have some cheese steak! But I know I can’t and shouldn’t! I was just at the gym working out and BAM messing it up like that… NO, I can’t!!!!

So I said... “No! If you want it… better order it to go because I’m not sitting there and watch you eat and tempt me!” He ordered it to go. He had his stupid cheese steak while I have grilled chicken breast and veggies!

Today: 11/20/09

6AM – Banana
6:45AM
Coffee
Oatmeal ½ C
5 eggs - 4 whites, 1 whole (Salt, pepper, almond butter… YUM!)
I’m working on it now… I can’t finish it…Maybe next time… I’ll have 1/4c of oatmeal.

9:30AM
Finishing the oatmeal from earlier
Reduce Fat string cheese
Turkey Deli

11:30-12PM
Grilled Chicken Breast
Steam Spinach
Brown Rice
Side peanut sauce
Jell-O

2:30PM
Hard Boiled Egg (1 Whole)

GYM (3:15-4:15)

4:30PM
Protein Shake
Mutligrain Cheerios (1cup)

7PM
Grilled Chicken Breast
Steam Veggies
Side of light sweet & sour sauce

9-10PM
If still hungry (I’ll have me some hard boiled egg whites)

I can’t wait to shop for food this weekend… I noticed I enjoy grilled, broiled, steamed fish & chicken breast more when I have a side sauce. Not to the extreme though… Maybe a light sauce with it… So far I’ve been stuck with peanut sauce. I just got me some sweet & sour sauce last night and still have light teriyaki sauce. I’m going to try to make me or look for more options. I will try to find some with light in sodium and calories and fats.

WORKOUT: Weight (heavy day)

legs are not as sore today… YAY!!!

Lunges- DB17lbs 3x10
Lying hip extension - 3x15
Deads – BB110lbs – 4x6
Hanging -3x 30sec
Rows (1 arm) – 25lbs 3x8
Pull ups (Assist) – 3x10
Shoulder Press – 20lbs 4x6
Pull Down – 3 x15
Abs leg pull/bench dips 3x15

(Of course, I might adjust it as I’m doing it….)
Sometimes, I feel weird having a note book & pen writing and adjusting workout. While others are just doing as they go… The only people I see with a clip board or notes are the PT when they are training their clients. Maybe I’m just thinking too much or a bit self conscious. Ohwell… I have a goal I’m aiming for and it’s for own personal growth!
cassiegose
VETERAN

Post by cassiegose »

Nokie173 wrote:So I said... “No! If you want it… better order it to go because I’m not sitting there and watch you eat and tempt me!” He ordered it to go. He had his stupid cheese steak while I have grilled chicken breast and veggies!
Oh girl this is the worst!There were so many time when I was on contest prep diet that fiance would be sitting there eating his tasty food in front of me while i was gagging down chicken breast or fish. For halloween (which was 1 week before last show) I was REALLY craving reeses so I had him pick some up so that i had something to look forward to for the next weekend when i could eat again. I kind of wanted them around for motivation... like if i stuck with diet and did well i could treat myself with some reeses after the show. Well wonderful fiance bought the reeses, handed out a couple to the kiddies then sat there and ate the REST OF THE BAG in front of me. I was so sad... and mad! Stupid guys and their fast metabolisms! I keep telling guy that he'd better enjoy it now because when he starts getting fat or getting sights of heart disease i'm putting his happy a$$ on a diet! :mrgreen:

Moving on... your meals look great nokie! You're doing so well and you are SUCH an inspiration! ;) Keep it up!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Don't feel weak, feel strong. You have taken a positive step to trying to change yourself and you have lost 30lbs of weight and you can be proud of yourself, for making these changes and taking these steps.

You cannot be perfect all the time. You will have moments where you slip-up, but being able to keep on going, instead of wallowing in self pity for a few days, is one thing I know you are capable of.

So you don't need to be talking about yourself, as if you're still someone with issues, or problems to overcome, because in mind you're not. You're too far down the road now to be that person. You've gotten over initial teething troubles I daresay, and you are being strong, focused and committed.

You're doing great, and you deserve to be told how well you're doing, because you are doing it so well, and you are one of this sites true shining lights. So many kind words, and a lot of sharing of your Heart with others, and you DO make a difference ot others, and you ARE making a difference to yourself.

You care for others, including strangers that come here looking for reassurance, and find people like you to support them, and make them feel worthwhile, so your ability to care properly for yourself, has never been in doubt.

Yes you had a few problems recently, with a few family and domestic things, but you coped pretty darn well, and to me, you came through stronger and more understanding of how you can deal with obstacles.

So you keep on doing what you're doing, don't be hard on yourself, and don't talk yourself down. You really are quite an extraordinary person, you are popular, incredibly human and a joy and a special light in peoples lives.

Keep on pushing, GOOD LUCK and no worries okay.

One little thing I did notice, was when you had an Egg, befgore a workout. I imagine, it was to stop you burning muscle perhaps. I'd suggest, perhaps you have something there like a portion of Beans perhaps, so you have more protein, calories and also some Carbs to boost a workout, or maybe something like Low Fat Cheese, Peanuts, or a Low Fat Nut yoghurt etc etc.

There's plenty of choices for you in that time slot, other than an Egg, because I don't think the Egg makes much of a logical choice, as it's low Protein, zero Carb, (except Omega 3 Eggs, which have 1 gram Carb) and about 65 calories, so you'd be fueling your workout, on that, plus a bit of leftover nutrition from the 11:30-12PM meal, when you could be really giving yourself a bit more to work with..

Even another 150-200 calories in that meal, might help you to boost muscle growth potential, fat loss, and Metabolic increases, as well as slightly increase Micronutrient intake, so it's not like you'd be having a tonne of extra calories and sabotaging your results :).

At the moment though, you're doing great, so chin up, big smiles, and no negative talk okay. We all think so much of you, and we DO want you to do well, and when you're feeling down, or need a polite kicking, message me anytime, just say anything, anyhow, anyway and don't worry about it okay.

I never put conditions on a persons one to one time with me, you're no different, but I will be around for you if you need it :).

Good luck.
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

@ Cassie – Thanks girl… I will try best.

@ Bossman – Thanks a lot for the motivations & encouragements. I will work on being more positive about myself… So less negatives from me about image. I will add more calories for pre-workout. Just that day… I kind of ran out of food… Needed to go shopping… Thanks again Boss… I will NOT hesitate to message you for a polite butt kicking! :mrgreen:

WEEKEND UPDATE:

SAT - 11/21/09

8:30AM
Weetabix x2
Soy milk ¼ cup
Hard boiled egg x1

12PM
Vietnamese sandwich

3PM
Beef Stew
White rice x ¼

6:30
Grilled Mahi-Mahi
Grilled Veggies
Rice ¼
Red wine x 1 glass

Hectic Saturday… I got up at 6 to do errands. fiancé new I was hungry & he was hungry too. So, he went to Burger King and got breakfast. He asked what I wanted.
NOTHING!!!! He kept asking me… eat something because I get Grumpy when I get hungry!!! But I really didn’t want Burger King… Blah... Really, its so oily and greasy!
So, I waited until I got home… I rather starve a bit than to put that crap in mouth!

Then, he surprised me with “early Christmas gift” I was shocked when he told me what it was! :shock:
Who…. Wants…. To …. Know?????
He bought 2 tickets to the Opera!!! – I didn’t know what to say… **speechless** :|
He got it because it was Cinderella (La Cenerentola)
There was no show in December so He just got it this month.
Cinderella is one of favorite Disney princess… but dang… watching an opera?!?!?!.
I guess it’s not a bad idea since it will be first time…
I got dressed in a nice dress shirt & slack black pants (OMG... it’s so loose on me... YAY!!! :mrgreen: )
We got to San Jose… and were hungry… so he took me to a fancy restaurant across from the Opera house. He ordered this fat steak while I had a Grilled Mahi-Mahi.. He asked if I wanted to drink… I said nah., it would be nice to have a glass but Nah.... it’s ok. So instead of ordering a glass of wine… he ordered a freaking bottle!!! Sigh… this guy!
So.. I only had a glass of red wine while he drank most of it.. He can actually drink from the bottle if he wanted to because he wouldn’t even gain a pound! He ate 75% of rice… ate all the bread the restaurant served, drank most of the wine and even order this chocolate lava cake for dessert. I only had 2 spoons of it just to taste it. Still… With all that… He won’t even gain one stinking pound!

After dinner, we went to the opera. I must say… It was interesting… It is a good first experience and definitely last too. 3 hours long and I have no idea what they were singing/saying! I think it was in Italian or something like that… But lucky... there were subtitles!

By the second intermission, I ran out and got me COFFEE! I dosed off and thought I was snoring... LoL.. oh man.. that would be bad! Then had to go to the ladies room to last me the last hour (I was thinking of doing some jumping jacks and squats for a bit)... When I got to the ladies.. I was sooooo under dress. Ladies in there were super dressed with their beautiful gowns and bling bling… super shinny jewelries… I’m thinking, why dress up so much when you can’t even see each other? It’s pretty dark when watching the show. :?

Personally… I enjoy Musical more than Opera… At least I can understand it. Like the Musical WICKED… it was “wicked” cool…. I enjoyed that lot! Lucky this Opera was Cinderella because I at least knew the storyline… but any others… boy oh boy… I would be snoring throughout the show.

I didn’t want to break fiancé’s heart by telling him it was boring and I didn’t understand it. He was just trying to be sweet. Instead, I told him it was a good experience and I enjoyed it. But please no more surprises like this especially to another opera! :|

SUNDAY: 11/22/09

8AM
Eggs x1
Grilled Chicken
Rice x 1 cup

12PM
Grilled Chicken
Rice x 1/4 cup

2:30PM
Sticky Rice x 1/2c
Grilled Beef

5:30PM
Grilled Chicken Breast
Wheat Pasta

NOTE: I noticed… weekends need lots of work. I’m always running around with errands and always visit family. They tend to only have rice. I really have to cut that down a bit. I’ll work on it… I didn’t get to workout at all this weekend. Next time... I’ll find 15mins do some body weights or jumping ropes.
I also noticed… I don’t eat to eat as often...

HAPPY MONDAY.... I'll update todays meals & workout later... :mrgreen:
fitoverforty
VETERAN

Post by fitoverforty »

Nokie173 wrote:Vietnamese sandwich
what's that?
Nokie173 wrote:He bought 2 tickets to the Opera!!! – I didn’t know what to say… **speechless** :|
He got it because it was Cinderella
Aww...that is really sweet of him. Even if it wasn't the greatest experience, just the gesture on his part (to be clearly thinking of you and something that you might like since you love Cinderella) means he was really trying to please you. Kudos to him for that! :D
Nokie173 wrote:I was sooooo under dress. Ladies in there were super dressed with their beautiful gowns and bling bling… super shinny jewelries… I’m thinking, why dress up so much when you can’t even see each other?
ahaha! That is so true! I've never thought about it that way! Maybe that's why they were all hanging out in the bathroom, so they could be "seen"!
Congrats on the loose pants! Isn't that a great feeling! Happy for you! You are doing a great job, stay with it and keep that positive attitude! :D
Nokie173
VETERAN

Post by Nokie173 »

fitoverforty wrote:
Nokie173 wrote:Vietnamese sandwich
what's that?
It's not the healthiest... But I was in chinatown and didn't want chinese deep fried porkchop for lunch...
So I just got a sandwich from a vietnamese restaurant...
I love the fact that it's spicy :mrgreen:

Thanks for the kind words... I will try best to keep that positive attitude..
I have lots of great role models in here :wink:

Monday: 11/23/09

7AM
Oatmeal 1/4c
5 eggs (4 whites, 1 whole, Salt, pepper, Almond butter)

9:30
Vietnamese sandwich 1/2
Grilled chicken Breast 3oz
String cheese

12PM
Grilled Chicken Breast 3oz
Brown Rice 1/2c
Collard greens 1c
Side peanut sauce 2tbsp
Cookies x 2
Hot tea (Green)

2:30
Wheat Bread x 1
Reduce string cheese x1
Hard boiled Eggs x1

GYM (3:15-4:15)

4:30PM
Protein shake (cookies n’ cream)
Vietnamese sandwich ½

6:30PM
Grilled Chicken breast 3oz
Steam Veggies
Edamame (soy bean)

9:30-10PM (If still hungry)
Protein shake or Hard Boiled Eggs

Note: I wanted something sweet after lunch so I had some cookies... without realizing I’m eating junk! Until I was finishing up 2nd one and realized… Oh no… What have I done?? Ohwell... what’s done is done... Just gotta get those darn cookies away from me! Tonight, I’m gonna go make myself fat free jell-o so if I ever want something sweet… I’ll eat that!!!

WORKOUT: Weights
Back squats – BB 60lbs 3x10
Standing hip extension 3x15
Pistol Squat (Going to take off shoes) 3x10
Rows DB (2 arms) 3x10
Good Mornings BB 50lbs (Increase weight from BB 40lbs)
Diamond Push ups 3x10
Finish with: Bench dips/ leg pull

We'll see how I do with the pistol squat this time... I'm thinking...
I should actually take out one of them b/c I'm already doing back squats already!
What do you guys think? I should do Step up instead?