The Men's Health 12 Week Hard Body Program.

Post your reviews on fitness products and clothing.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

HOUSTON TEXAN
REGULAR

The Men's Health 12 Week Hard Body Program.

Post by HOUSTON TEXAN »

Sucks.

parents got me this book for Easter and I finally decided to take a look inside you know to see if it would be a good program for me to do next. No.

This program sucks so much here is why.

Training:

First it starts off you know with the whole beginner thing doing 1x6-10, starting off with 6rm then once you hit 10 you move on to the next phase of the program. Doesn't sound that bad right? Wrong! It is having you do 6-7 exercises per session right now which doesn't seem too bad, but let me get to the Intermediate section.

Intermediate

It is basically the same thing just this time now you are doing 3x15,7,4, increasing weight each set but you are still doing 6-7 exercises per session 3x a week. Still doesn't sound bad? At this point there is NO deadlift or squat exercises. W?T?F?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advanced

This is where it gets crazy. Same set/rep formula but oh wait, 12-13 exercises per session 5x a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This book gets even worse when it gets to the diet part.

Diet

Basically it just takes all the crap food you shouldn't be eating and puts it into reasonable portions. Shouldn't you cut out ice cream completely? No! Says Men's Health, not if you mix it with some fruit and stuff for a good night snack!

Well screw you Men's Health. You fail at everything.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You don't need to cut out Ice Cream completely, though obviously for dieting it will help, but seriously, a couple of Tspns of low Fat Ice Cream 1-2 times a week, won't screw up someones diet.
HOUSTON TEXAN
REGULAR

Post by HOUSTON TEXAN »

They say a cup. They also don't mention how often you should be having these "snacks."
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

That's not good then at all. It's too vague for one. Sounds pretty poor of them on reflection.

The only real benefit that might give, is the prevention of Muscle Catabolism from the Casein content in Ice Cream, as Casein would prevent that for longer than Whey, but in that case someone could just buy Casein seperately, potentially get more than a cup of Ice Cream might yield, and screw the Sugar and Fats.
HOUSTON TEXAN
REGULAR

Post by HOUSTON TEXAN »

They also have spaghetti and stuff like that in there which really isn't good for you either is it? Because like I said they just decrease portion size when it comes to that stuff.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

White Pasta is not too bad, but Portions could be small and semi-frequent, or limited to 1 or 2 slightly bigger ones per week.

Whole-wheat would be better, or possibly Protein enriched, but I'm not sure if Protein enriched is a form of white or Whole-wheat, I've never looked it up.

Both would be moderate to high GI, and yield a significant Glycemic Load in goodly amounts.

The effects of Whole-wheat might be a problem for people with an IBD like Coeliacs for example, and in both cases increases would be an issue for Diabetics.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

well they are catering for millions of readers world wide so it needs to be general like that...most people don't know how to deadlift so they are basically covering their are by not putting in too much hard stuff etc