TotalGym Review

Post your reviews on fitness products and clothing.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

TotalGym Review

Post by PandorasVise »

I found a total gym at the dumpstore. (that is a tent in town dump where people leave things that are too good to throw away, but they don't want anymore.) I brought it home and put it together. I think if you are short on space that this would be a great machine to have. I think it is good for women of all abilities and most men (except if you are a power lifter)
I found it awesome for an upper body workout. Most of the lower body exercises are better with out the machine, like squats and toe raises, but there are a few exercises that are great for the legs like one for the hip abductors, that I really like. Very easy to switch from on muscle group to another and takes 3 seconds to change intensity.

I just thought with warm weather coming and yard sale season approaching, if you find a total gym out there, it is worth it to have.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: TotalGym Review

Post by Boss Man »

Is it one of these?

I say that as to me it doesn't look terribly substantial. I also believe it's promoted by Chuck Norris, if web searches are correct.

I'm assuming by the lack of a weight stack, it works via the use of the individuals body weight.

First impressions are that I've seen better, but I have to in some ways defer to your experiences :).
PandorasVise
HIGH FLYER

Post by PandorasVise »

Yes that is the one, and being a woman, experience is going to be different. It certainly not for a power lifter. I think I would recommend it to a beginner, or someone in an apartment short on space, or to an experienced woman for upper body(again if you are short on space). The higher you make it, the more resistance you have. For example, in the picture you have, the machine is up at it's highest setting, so you would be pulling 44% of your body weight.

I certainly would not be paying the price they ask for it, but it is handy to have if you can get it cheap, second hand.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

You're right, it does seem like one perhaps for novices or females with not too muscular requirements. Obviosuly as you say for powerlifting people and amateur bodybuilders, it may become inadequate after a time.

If it works for you and you derive benefit from it, then that's the main thing. So hopefully that happens :).