Meal Replacements for Vegans

Post important and accurate fitness articles, reference materials, research studies and findings here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

andywest
STARTING OUT

Meal Replacements for Vegans

Post by andywest »

Hi everyone,

About 6 years ago I began eating a plant-based diet. It was mostly fine until I began travelling for work, and I needed to start with some meal replacements. That's where things began to get tough as most products on the market were dairy-based.

Where the USA had a ton of products, what was available in UK was limited. Of those I could get, many were made with GMOs and soy, which I do best to avoid.

Anyway, I discovered some things along the way so I thought I'd share. Hopefully someone else finds this to be useful too.

If you're at home, they are simple to make yourself
Combine almond butter, banana, spinach, raspberries and flax to create a shake with high-quality fat, plenty of vitamin A, omega 3 fatty acids and a small amount of protein. - Livestrong
Watch out for sugars!
Vegan meal replacement shakes are often packed with sugar. Ideally, the sugar content should be less than half the total carbohydrate content. - Thrivo
If you have diabetes, you do actually have options
Commercial meal replacements with resistant starch or modified maltodextrin are digested more slowly than refined carbohydrate ingredients, which may help with blood sugar control. - Verywell Health
They can be great for cutting calories out of your diet
...meal replacements containing a known energy and macronutrient are a useful strategy to eliminate problematic foods choices and/or complex meal planning while trying to achieve a 500 to 1,000 energy deficit. - American Dietic Association
It's taken me a long time to work out what works well for me, but it is really unique to each individual person - their illnesses (if any), their goals, and lifestyle choices.

But if you have any questions, you can ask me and I will do best to help.