Steroids, yes or no?

Post important and accurate fitness articles, reference materials, research studies and findings here.

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

Joesportstalk
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Steroids, yes or no?

Post by Joesportstalk »

With all this talk about A-Rod and performance enhancement drugs in sports today.

1.) do you think all steroids are bad at all times?

2.) what do you base your decision to question #1 on? and why?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

yes

because it's against the rules
Joesportstalk
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Joesportstalk »

swanso5 wrote:yes

because it's against the rules
wasn't always.

So do you think that sports that steroids are not against the rules it is OK to use them?

What about for people that are just into fitness do you think steroids get a fair rap? I mean some types like HGH and Testosterone can be prescribed by a doctor here in the states. Should people look into this more or should they accept the negative that the steroid issue is getting due to the sports stars all getting busted now?

Good to see you again BTW Swanso5, ( sorry I was a way for a bit that pesky thing called life got in way for a while )
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Quite a few Steroids used in Bodybuilding are given medicinally.

If people want to use Steroids in most sports it, should be illegal, but if you're getting 12 people doing BB comps and taking, they can't all be considered cheating, as you have a level playing field.

Plus there are natural federations that exist.
RK19
REGULAR

Post by RK19 »

without reading the other posts.... no i dont agree with them as i beleive you should never use drugs to attain anything.

and i personally wouldnt feel good knowing that body was sculpted using roids.

heres a question, when people are using roids can you tell? as ive seen a few suspected users and their muscles look "stuck on" anyone know what im talking about?
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

and what sports are they? i don't any that they are legal, plenty that are "overlooked" though

people "into fitness" cannot be compared to athletes who are getting paid, and get renumeration from their efforts i don;t think...people can make their own choices there...that's a sugn of one who doesn't like hard work to me so they'll never amount to much with that attitude anyway

if being prescribed for medicinal reasons i can understand but if they continue to use after that then cheating it is

the risks far outweigh the benefits for mine
Joesportstalk
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Joesportstalk »

Some would argue that it is not a "lazy" way but that it makes you have to work that much harder on your systems.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Taking Steroids isn't a lazy option, it makes people more capable of greater feats in the short and long-term.

Most if not all people who weigh around 180+ natural, probably couldn't do 18 set + Chest workouts, maintaining rep and weight level intensity, or anything higher, most could probably go for 12 sets, before fatigue and loss of performance set in.

Steroids don't work unless you bust your on them, and then take the right supps, and eat hard enough ot gain the muscle, and keep most of it.

Bearing in mind anyone with a solid PCT and diet, and could still lose roughly 25-50% of what's been gained.
Joesportstalk
ESTABLISHED MEMBER

Post by Joesportstalk »

I think Steroids get a bad rap in most cases ( sure there are the extreme examples )

I do not understand this negative light that keeps shining on steroid usage.

As was said, if all are doing it ( and most are in Pro sports) then how is it cheating?
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

It is cheating, because in things like the Olympics, and other sports it creates unfair advantages.

Problem is, how do you gauge a persons performance, if someones use 2 Steroids cycled for several weeks at a time, dosed in one way, and someone else used something like Test Booster combined HGH, and one type of Steroid for a different length of time.

Using those things creates a performance imbalance that's hard to monitor, (there's no level playing field), and also don't forget, people didn't used to use these things, so suddenly, you can't say oh well if it's now possible why not? People are going to say, this is wrong, because people before then performed clean, and using chemical based and synthetic products of type, aren't sporting some would say.

If you look at anything like Glutamine, Creatine, etc etc, they are either made in nature, or made in man, so isolating then in a supplemental form, is not seen as an issue.
swanso5
VETERAN

Post by swanso5 »

As was said, if all are doing it ( and most are in Pro sports) then how is it cheating
shit half the world's population are on drugs so let's make it legal and have a free forall
bigboy5491
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by bigboy5491 »

Old post but whatever.

In opinion, anabolic steriods aren't good.

Let's say you make it legal to use steroids in sports. That doesn't mean everyone would use them. I don't think a few glory years are worth a lifetime.
BillyG
STARTING OUT

Re: Steroids, yes or no?

Post by BillyG »

steroids are blown up the max about the "bad things that can happen"

I am pro steroids, If you are educated on them. understand what they do, the possible side effects,
and you do not mis use/over use gear.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I agree on the negative hype, which could fuel some peoples misunderstanding, and most people that don't workout, or train but don't use them, hear scare or horror stories and think that's the gospel truth and yes these things are not risk free, but risk can be reduced with enough education and sensible use.

However I will never be able to look at people like Coleman and Cutler and like how they look or what they can lift. There's a line between impressive and excessive, (can't say exactly where it is), but sure has hell those guys don't just use a bit of Deca and Test.

Apparently there were reports Coleman used 2g of GH, where many max at 1g or less so I believe. That's something that doesn't sit too well with me really, as if success in that sport matters so much, then they'll take as much physical risk as needs be. It's not worth it that much is it?
andrewsmith065
STARTING OUT

Post by andrewsmith065 »

swanso5 wrote:
As was said, if all are doing it ( and most are in Pro sports) then how is it cheating
shit half the world's population are on drugs so let's make it legal and have a free forall

yeah, agree with you. it should be legal.

Last edited by andrewsmith065 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.