How to quickly get a full body weight lifting workout

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

How to quickly get a full body weight lifting workout

Post by toddhicks209 »

A great way to quickly strengthen your arms, stomach, legs and sides is to bench press a barbell or a container full of books or small weights at a regular angle, then a northwest angle then a northeast angle.
MatthewCocking
STARTING OUT

Re: How to quickly get a full body weight lifting workout

Post by MatthewCocking »

I would like to disagree with this.

The best exercise to get a quick full body weight lifting workout would be the Deadlift.

This exercise puts basically every single muscle in the body under stress. Not only that, it puts the Central Nervous System under stress due to a heavy weight being lifted, this signals to the body that it needs to adapt in order to carry out this exercise regularly. Due to this, it can help build muscle throughout the entire body in the quickest time.

The bench press, although a good exercise, is very focused on the chest, arms, shoulders and core (in that order) and I see little to no benefit for the legs. If I were you I would swap the bench press for the deadlift to make the most of your time.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I'd politely differ from that sentiment Matthew, as I would and do incorporate both into a workout :).

Deadlift has stimulus on the legs but not enough in experience, to make it a credible way to sideline exercises like lunges and squats and it has very little emphasis on the shoulders or chest, as actual strain on a muscle group is just that, it is not providing any sort of significant pump or any real contraction, as the muscle remains static which with deadlifts the shoulders and arms do, as the deadlift requires anterior tilt from the waist and patella pivoting during the movement, so any part of the torso above the quadratus and abdominal areas, gets little to no stimulus and so the deadlift is a great exercise, but not all encompassing and in terms of working the lats, chest, arms, shoulder and traps it is no alternative to things like row based movements and bench press, nor is it a way to sideline leg exercises, as it's impact on the major leg muscles is limited at best.

Though I agree it is a very robust exercise and many more people should do it.
MatthewCocking
STARTING OUT

Post by MatthewCocking »

I couldn't agree more BossMan :)

I was simply following on from the post that only detailed one exercise and for that reason, in opinion, I would say that the deadlift is a much better "full body weight lifting workout" than the bench press.

However, the fact that you cannot exclude other exercises to get a PROPER full body workout is completely correct. I was merely talking about the best bang for your buck that you can realistically get :)

Thanks for your reply!
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

Fair enough. Deadlift is probably a slightly better all rounder than bench press not least because it targets the lower body.
MatthewCocking
STARTING OUT

Post by MatthewCocking »

Yup, can't disagree with that!! :D
toddhicks209
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by toddhicks209 »

Those in love with the dead lift should combine that with bench presses, squats and cardiovascular exercise. That would be a great way to build strength, raw power, and overall fitness.
MatthewCocking
STARTING OUT

Post by MatthewCocking »

toddhicks209 wrote:Those in love with the dead lift should combine that with bench presses, squats and cardiovascular exercise. That would be a great way to build strength, raw power, and overall fitness.
Again, we both agree here. However the original poster was discussing a single exercise. In which case, due to the overall benefit, we agreed that the deadlift should be that ONE exercise :)
rlbodytrainer
STARTING OUT

Post by rlbodytrainer »

Hi,

I would look at a Olympic style lift like the clean and jerk for a total body exercise.

If you want to add an anaerobic component try super setting a body weight exercise like star jumps or burpees