Weight loss + Muscle Gain

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

inzid
STARTING OUT

Weight loss + Muscle Gain

Post by inzid »

Hi there,

Firstly sorry if this is in the wrong area.

Im hoping to get some advice. I have always been overweight I used to be 140kg (309 pounds) and now im hovering around 90kg (198 pounds)

girlfriend who isnt overweight at all but wanted to try tone up / lose more around her stomach is doing the Joe Wicks (The Body Coach) and ive been following this aswell and lost more weight.

All ive ever really done in the gym is spin and HIIT training with a few weights to try and lose weight, I still have a bit of a and "moobs" however I really want to start getting some muscle.

Im looking at getting some advice on whether its wise to try and start lifting more / using some supplements to try and get bigger in the sense of muscle. I know people have mixed views on supplements and i used to take protein, BCCA, and creatine however i take nothing at the moment other than protein from eating food.

I work out 5 times a week as stated HIIT (circuits etc) and spin.

The next stage on the Joe Wicks is doing light(ish) weights but doing 45 seconds of lifting and 30 seconds rest and doing 10 reps of this which i actually enjoy.

All in all i just really want to know where too from here. Would love to still lose weight but gain more muscle now but I also dont want to be eating a truck load of food to gain muscle and then end up getting a bigger .

Thanks!
fitncer
STARTING OUT

Re: Weight loss + Muscle Gain

Post by fitncer »

I don't know the real answer to your question and it's hard to give you an advice where you would go from here. But at least take a look at this story at EmaxHealth.com. This is the New Mega List of Suspect Weight Loss or Muscle Building Supplements Released by FDA. At least you should avoid them.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/8782/new-mega ... leased-fda
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I would avoid supplements for now as I don't really think you need any, except the non-weightlifting kind of things like fish oil, Echinacea, vitamin C etc, if you wanted.

As for the diet, definitely limit right now to between 2,500-3,000 calories and use one of the following 3 macro-nutrient ratios.

33%, 33%, 33%, protein, carbs, fats

35%, 35%, 30%, protein, carbs fats

40%, 30%, 30%, protein, carbs, fats.

I think any of those could potentially work well for you.
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

I agree :) Ensuring your diet is on point will definitely help you reach your goals faster! Have you tried tracking your macros with myfitnesspal or something similar? Once you know how much you are currently eating vs how much you should be eating, it makes fat loss much easier :)
jtnkkm
STARTING OUT

Post by jtnkkm »

Weight loss and muscle gain are difficult things to do simultaneously. I'd say first gain muscle, then lose fat
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

No they're not. One pound of added muscle burns 45-50 calories more per day so anyone can do it initially. It's only after a lengthy period of time that the two things become hard to achieve simultaneously.
raygentry
STARTING OUT

Post by raygentry »

You want both weight loss and muscle gain, so i would suggest you to follow healthy diet plan. Take fat burning supplements or any weight loss program for better results. Your diet plays important role in body fitness.
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

I think what you meant to say was "Don't take fat burning supplements" :).
Vegas Jon
STARTING OUT

Post by Vegas Jon »

The main thing you need to worry about is being in a calorie deficit of 200-300 calories each day (eat 200-300 less than your maintenance calories--how much you need to maintain your weight; you will have to find this through some simply experimentation).

Strength training is also perfect for weight loss if you do compound movements like the squat and deadlift as they burn a lot of calories--a lot more than running on a treadmill.
Rippedjym
STARTING OUT

Post by Rippedjym »

If you can consume more fatter fish things to make you full easier will allow you to consume less empty carbs like breads Rice’s pastas