What workout program can i do with a Golfer's Elbow/Epicondylitis?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

SupremeCheese
STARTING OUT

What workout program can i do with a Golfer's Elbow/Epicondylitis?

Post by SupremeCheese »

Hello

I have started working out 3 months ago as I've lost 35kg. I have a new body but it's lacking muscles.

I'm going at least 3 times per week, and focusing on one to two body parts per session.

It became addictive, and i went too fast, too long, too heavy, 4hr sessions (2hr of group lessons, 1h30 of workout, 30 min of stretching).

I guess this + a bad movement somewhere (i suspect it's long series of chin) has provoked a Epicondylitis/Golfer's elbow (the inner part of the elbow), on left arm, around 3 weeks ago. Tried to go over it, but it seems many of the upper body exercises are making left arm "stiff", like if i had a cramp. It goes away while resting.

doctor said that i should avoid exercises involving supination, but he remains vague.

The situation is very frustrating. Hence why i'm posting here.

- What should i do, just rest for weeks?
- If i can exercise, what sort can i do? Do you have some examples?
- I particularly like calisthenics/bodyweight exercises like pull-up, push-ups, etc, can i do them with this injury or not?
- Any advice in terms of treatment? Like massage, cream, stretching, etc?

Thanks a lot guys
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Re: What workout program can i do with a Golfer's Elbow/Epicondylitis?

Post by Boss Man »

Hi SupremeCheese, good to talk to you.

I would stick to body-weight exercises for now, but avoid pushups in case they aggravate the elbow.

As for treatment you could considering RICEing.

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

Give the elbow adequate rest and consider an NSAID.

if necessary use ice on the elbow 3-4 times a day for around 10-15 minutes.

if needs be use a cold compress and make sure the elbow isn't resting on anything that might is hard and puts pressure on it.