Can some women get bulky without steroids?

Discuss your weight training questions, concerns and tips!

Moderators: cassiegose, Boss Man

fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Can some women get bulky without steroids?

Post by fat-to-fit »

I think there is a smaller percentage of women that can get bulky lifting weights without steroids. I know because i think i am one of them. I've had people tell me i should do bodybuilding, i had someone tell me that i had a gymnast's body. I an naturally stronger and have more muscular than most women who don't lift weights.

I think the majority of women wouldn't bulk up but i get annoyed when people say that women don't bulk building muscle without steroids because i think there are some (probably a small percentage) that can. Just FYi testorone is in the normal range for a woman as well i think it's just genetics.
Fitafter50
REGULAR

Re: Can some women get bulky without steroids?

Post by Fitafter50 »

I think you are right that there is a small percentage of women who can bulk up by lifting heavy weights, no steroids required. ( DD is one of them; she is a mesomorph and probably has twice the natural muscle that I have. She gets it from her dad's side of the family. :tongue: ) That being said, I don't think it's a reason to avoid strength training--using lighter weights or even bodyweight exercises is an option.

I am not saying you need to start strength training ASAP, I'm just saying I don't think you need to totally rule it out as useful for you. :)
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

Yes! There is definitely a lucky minority that can :) As for whether you should do bodybuilding because of it? This is totally up to you! If you want to take advantage of your naturally muscular physique then go for it!
FunRun23
STARTING OUT

Post by FunRun23 »

I'm a guy so take this for what it's worth, girlfriend who is a personal trainer is feeding me information.

A lot of body building is a science, eating the right amount of protein and other macros in a day and lifting the right amount of weight. Another big factor in "bulky muscle" is genetics, which seems to be what you have been describing here. There are ways to get big without using steroids that are totally healthy. Just do some more research on heavy lifting and body building to find a workout program for you. Also remember that it's about 80% what you eat and your nutrition. You're not going to get lean if you just eat garbage all the time.

Hope this rambling made sense, if you have any questions please let me know, I would love to help.
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

i'm not interested in getting bulky or building muscle. just toning really. and losing fat. I'm pretty strong already. leg press is at least 250 pounds and shoulder and chest press is like 70 pounds on the machines. weakneess is back where on the row and pulldown i use about 55 and 70 pounds.

I' was thinking of doing bodypump classes twice a week. I know that is more muscle endurance than building muscle but maybe that is all i need. i just want to tone and lose fat.
Ashy123
STARTING OUT

Post by Ashy123 »

If all you want to do is lose body fat then your diet is probably what needs changing. I suggest tracking your intake for a week just to see how much you're currently eating. In order to lose body fat you need to be in a calorie deficit. I would also recommend keeping your protein and fat quite high as this will ensure you feel full between meals.
fat-to-fit
REGULAR

Post by fat-to-fit »

Thank you Ashy. :)
Rippedjym
STARTING OUT

Post by Rippedjym »

Exactly just slowly lower your carbs down to under 20 while keeping your healthy fats up. That should help tone you up .
Boss Man
SITE ADMIN

Post by Boss Man »

By under 20, do you mean under 20% on a macro-nutrient ratio or under 20g each meal?
oatsandsquats
SOCIAL CLIMBER

Post by oatsandsquats »

Boss Man wrote:By under 20, do you mean under 20% on a macro-nutrient ratio or under 20g each meal?
He probably meant under 20g because he's suggesting to increase the fat intake.. which could be keto? Maybe?
iamsocool787
STARTING OUT

Post by iamsocool787 »

I think that a small minority can. Normally, women don’t get as bulky as men because of a lack of testosterone and other hormones. If you want to become bulkier, go for it! You won’t regret it!